• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a single parent, I am lucky that I can work from home currently, and my employer should be flexible to allow this going forward. In the past my son was in before/after care for school because I couldn't do drop off and pick up at school and work a full day. However that shut down at March break. I would also put him in camps during the summer, which isn't happening this year either and won't be during the school year. I do not see how a part time in school schedule will work for the daycares, his was in the school and shared space with the library and a couple classrooms. I am assuming they will need that space for classrooms to accommodate smaller class sizes.

My son, who hates school, was asking when he can go back. He wants to see friends and be able to play. He will not do online learning, if he doesn't go to school, he won't do any of the work. He has ADHD, ODD, Anxiety... he needs to be active and he needs to be structured. I have read the school boards plans and they seem comprehensive to me, if teachers go back then I hope they have 5 days a week, or at least the 2/3 split. The plans they have for doing some in class and some online do seem good, it's just a question of getting my son to actually do it. Perhaps having to keep up with the rest of his cohort the days he is in class will encourage that. I realize my son is not average, but every parent friend I have and have spoken to had problems getting at least one of their children to do the work. Some families has to have one parent stop working, or do part time in off hours, which is not always possible for all families. I wish I could homeschool, I would love to do it, but there is no way my son will go for it. I also looked at some of the private schools but they are way too expensive for us.

I understood Ford was suggesting that perhaps outdoor classes would be an idea for September, Canadian weather is unpredictable though so that may not happen very many days a week. It is an interesting idea, I think if the climate allowed it would be a great idea.
We're in BC. My daughter is almost the girl version of you son. While not a single parent, she sometimes needs to be prodded to get school work done, especially writing assignments. She'll be going into grade 6, which here is the start of middle school. She not a huge fan of school but is wanting to go back just to see friends. We didn't send her back for 8 classes when the reopened in June, as she was able to get work done online. She had a great teacher for the past 2 years that "got" her. I want her to go back, she wants to go back. I want to be able to find out who her teacher is and get her used to the new school. No orientation was done at the middle school for incoming grade 6 students. I worked from home in April, but have been back to the office since mid May. She has been staying home alone, but my office is 5 minutes away and grannie is halfway between our home and my office. She also has been given my old cell so she can message and Facetime if she needs anything. I want to find out if the kids are going back to school before I spend a bunch of money on school supplies and new clothes for her.

An epidemiologist at UofT recently tweeted about what would happen if Canada opened the border, how the cases would go up in Ontario right away. She thinks that if the US can get their total daily cases to between 1,000 and 10,000 a day that would be a good time to start to reopen the border.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7217407/coronavirus-canada-us-border-modelling/
On line gambling sites show earliest border opening is in February 2020. Sounds like a good bet.

I would be surprised if it opened by Feb 21st. Just spoke with a border official today and he said that Americans are still trying to cross over to Canada and stay here. They think because they own property in Canada they should be able to cross.

I would be surprised if it opened by Feb 21st. Just spoke with a border official today and he said that Americans are still trying to cross over to Canada and stay here. They think because they own property in Canada they should be able to cross.
Ignorant Americans. By the way I'm an American. Lol. Wanted to say more but someone would throw a hissy fit.

I think we've reached the point where our next vacation will be in Canada for sure maybe March 2021 ---- but going to the US still seems unfathomable at this point.... since you have to sort of accept that inter-US spread will move the virus to the responsible states from denier states for the foreseeable future --- and we don't want any part of that. I guess that a majority of states have decided international tourism isn't worth it.... Hopefully it works out for them in the long run....

I just read this article on cbc.ca: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid-19-vaccine-tam-1.5673729

Dr. Tam says masks, distancing, etc will be in effect for 2-3 years even with a vaccine! ugh.

Just finally got around to reading this, and honestly, this is just depressing. I fully admit, I keep hoping that there would be some semblance of normalcy next year. I didn't figure there'd be enough south of the border to make us willing to go there, but I did honestly hope that maybe masks and distancing wouldn't be as much of an issue next summer. It just raises so many questions. But, on the other hand, I'm also sure she is trying to give us the worst case scenario, so I suppose we can still hope things will improve sooner than anticipated.

Summer 2021 for a vaccine at least still gives me 6 months to our December 2021 WDW trip. That is, if we are some of the select few who get a dose.

We have May 2021 booked. But will move it again if I have to. And the US could always start getting it sooner, and that would make the risk for us going lower as well. i’m just waiting.

I honestly don't think they are going to get the turnout for vaccines even once they are produced. People are going to be more afraid of the vaccine than of the virus by that point.

Just finally got around to reading this, and honestly, this is just depressing. I fully admit, I keep hoping that there would be some semblance of normalcy next year. I didn't figure there'd be enough south of the border to make us willing to go there, but I did honestly hope that maybe masks and distancing wouldn't be as much of an issue next summer. It just raises so many questions. But, on the other hand, I'm also sure she is trying to give us the worst case scenario, so I suppose we can still hope things will improve sooner than anticipated.
Totally agree on all points. It’s why I started my thread on other leisure travel. I hadn‘t even considered that we may be in the exact same place two years from now . Sigh.

I honestly don't think they are going to get the turnout for vaccines even once they are produced. People are going to be more afraid of the vaccine than of the virus by that point.

I believe I read that 32% of people won't get it when it's available? I think that was in Canada. I imagine the US will be worse, so yeah... And that of course is once it's produced in sufficient quantity for more than just essential workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter