When does car rental go on credit card?

Mom+4

<font color=teal>Saved from the loony bin by the T
I know this may seem like a stupid question, but if I reserve a rental car now for a June trip, when is the charge applied to my credit card - now or in June? Or is there a hold or something placed on that amount on my card for now? Thanks.

It doesn't go on your cc until you return it.Mainly they wait to see gas,condition, milage etc. Usually it will post on your credit card 2-4 days after you return the car.;)

I thought that they 'hold' a certain amount when you leave with the car and then charge the actual amount upon return??

Gas stations do this too if you pre-pay and then buy your gas. It can hold up to $60 and then charge the actual amount after a day or so...

I believe you are correct. Most car rental companies will put a "temporary buy" for the apporximate rental charge. The tempory buy is taken away from your outstanding credit limit. The actual rental charge is placed when the vehicle is returned.

I've never had any type of charge show up for renting a car other than the final total, several days (depending on your billing cycle too) after returning the car. I've never seen any type of "hold" amount and then the additional charged to make the total show up on my card. They may tell you that you need xxx amount of $$$ available on your credit card to cover this "hold" amount, like checking to see if that amount will go through on your card, but I've never actually physically seen this amount on my bill. That is most likely why you cannot use a debit card to "hold" a reservation. I might be confused, but I think most rental places will not accept debit's to hold, but you can use them to pay at the end of the rental with these.

What they do is put an authorization through on your account, which is somewhat like a hold. You won't see it on your bill, but it reduces your available balance for the estimated amount of the rental. I'm about to put a reservation on my credit card. I work for the credit union that issued my card, and I can see the outstanding authorizations, but you won't see them on your bill. The rental company must have some form of security. Otherwise, they would have no recourse if they let you have the car and you didn't have the available funds.

As a side note, I'm glad that a lot of rental companies do not accept debit cards except for final payment. But even then, I would never put a reservation of any kind (hotel, air, car) on my debit card. If there's a mistake made and you have to dispute it, you could be tying up funds that you could otherwise be using for up to 90 days. You have more protection with a credit card, because you don't have to pay finance charges on any amount you dispute. Believe me, I've seen it happen.

Sheri

I use my debit card all the time to rent cars. I rent about 25 times a year and never have a problem I am a member of Hertz Gold and they allow debit cards. One time when I disputed the charge for a shuttle van ride they put the money in my acct. and then went after the company.

No problems at all using a debit card. They put a hold on the funds plus $40 at Hertz but it doesn't come out of your account till you return the vehicle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter