When does school start in So Cal?

jeeperwy

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know when school starts in Southern California? We will be in San Diego for a week Aug 21-27, and I was thinking about driving up to Anaheim for a day or two. I know that it will probably be busy, but if school has started then maybe it wouldn't be TOO bad, right :)!!! Any guesses or suggestions? Or should I just enjoy San Diego and plan a trip to DL for Dec or Jan?

Thanks!
Kari

Public schools here in Simi start on August 31st. There's a good chance that DL will be crowded the weekend before school.

Schools starts at different times in different places. We have a lot of year round schools (with anaheim being one district with them). Where there are always kids off school. The schools around some go back the week before labor day and others go back the week of labor day.

that's not actually true. Fireworks have been every night since May 5th even when schools were in. Also the schools around Anaheim run all year long, there are kids in school even in June, July, and August. I have no clue if they will only do fireworks on Fri-sat, or Fri-Sun nights after labor day, but they will be every night through labor day. I have a feeling unless the anaheim residents complain too much they will continue nightly. That is one of their major selling points, and they will have their weekday number decrease faster if they cut them out during the week.

I actually like hearing them every night, I always know when it's 9:30 :)

August 29th around here. I would think that week would be slow, but hot. I surely hope they have the fireworks everyday, not just weekends. They owe it to the paying public after all the hype over the 50th. We are all paying for it. :flower:

I am staying at the Grand Sat and Sun, Sept. 10th & 11th, I am counting on fireworks Sunday night.

As I said earlier the main problem with doing fireworks year round is the residents. The residents who litterally live across the street from Disneyland have been trying for years to try and make it so that DL can not have fireworkds period. They want them completely stopped. The fireworks are loud, and while I personally like hearing them, I can see why it would bother people. We also live by a train tracks, and the next town over from us is in a huge fight with the Santa Fe railroad trying to get the train whistles stopped at night. They don't like hearing them. Again, it doesn't bother me to hear the train whistles all night long.

If they DL does continue fireworks every night all year, this will be the first time in the 31 years i've lived in anaheim that they have ever done it (probably will be the first time it is done). I don't know what the current plans are, since they haven't posted septembers entertainment schedule yet.

I know of three school districts in OC that start the day after or the second day after labor day. My guess is those school districts that aren't on year-round schedule will be starting right after labor day.

almostGoofy said:
I know of three school districts in OC that start the day after or the second day after labor day. My guess is those school districts that aren't on year-round schedule will be starting right after labor day.

I agree.

I did a quick Google search for three school districts in Orange County (the county where Disneyland is located)...

Newport Mesa School District starts on Sept. 6, 2005. See http://www.nmusd.us/depts/calendar/calendar_2005-06.pdf

Irvine School District starts on Sept. 8, 2005. See http://www.iusd.k12.ca.us/calendar/cal.htm

Fullerton School District starts on Sept 6, 2005. See http://www.fsd.k12.ca.us/menus/District_Calendars/DistCalendar0506.html (7th grade starts on Sept. 2)

Well, you can add the three I'm aware of that start after Labor Day: Fountain Valley School District, Huntington Beach City School District and Oceanview School District. Add to that the single track schools in the very large Los Angeles Unified School District.

Traditionally, the last week of August is the lightest attended SUMMER week. After Labor Day, all the kids are in school so the crowds should be much, much lighter. If you look at the blackout dates for the Southern California annual passes on the Disneyland website, that should give you a fair idea of when Disney expects attendance to be light or heavy. In general, the So. Calif. passes are blacked out whenever big crowds are expected.

Thank you all so much for your information. Normally I would just skip DL in the summer (we usually go in early Dec or Jan and are used to low crowds), but I have had to cancel our WDW trip scheduled for Dec and I am having withdrawls :) !!!! We will still be staying in San Diego and I'm not sure I'm up for getting up at the crack of dawn to get there. Maybe if I can talk DH into a spring trip, I might skip it this time.

Again, thank you. I was hoping that school would start on the 21st or so, and that might lower crowds (but not the temperature :)!!).

Kari
(Still deciding!!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter