When is the best time to visit with a family of 5 ?

nancel.5

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first trip to Disney . We have 3 children ages 8,7 and 4.
We were originally planning to go over Easter(March28-April4) but I am now wondering if it will be so crowded that we will not be able to enjoy it. We don't want to spend the entire time on lines. The other possibility is to go the 3rd week of June after the kids get out of school. I know that the weather will be warmer but maybe it will be less crowded ? Please give me your input. I really want this trip to be magical.
Also, any special resorts with a family of 5 ? We really want to experience the magic of Disney but we are on a moderate budget too. Easter week everything is at it's top price.Is it worth the extra money to stay in Disney ?
We will have our own car.
Thanks for your help

Your question calls to mind a bar graph I saw in one of the Disney Trip books.....the author showed how many people were there at different times of the year in different categories, e.g., Light for Jan., Just enough to make the atmosphere Festive for May & Oct., etc. Easter Week the people were overflowing and falling off the edge of the graph. It is one of, if not, the most busy weeks the entire year. The entire Summer can be busy too, but I think most will tell you that Easter is the worst. Of course, the weather might be a little more tolerable.

You can, though, have a great time whenever you go as long as you have realistic expectations. I'd suggest you buy one of the Disney Travel books and follow the advice to a 'T.' Disney has much more to offer than just the rides.....you can follow the advice on how to minimize wait times for rides and take advantage of some of the other 'Disney magic' during peak times.

Have a great trip!

With children as young as yours I would at least consider taking them out of school for the trip and going off season. We just did this with our 3rd grader and had no problems with his teacher or school. Off season prices are much better and we had no crowds and almost no lines. It was pure heaven. Some people object to taking children out, but it works for us. Our rule is as long as you stay on the honor roll we will go off season. We make sure to point out those long line areas that you have to go through in the busy times to DS. So far it is working!! Plan what is best for your family and have fun!

Jordan's mom

Is there not another time of year you could go? I've been the first week of June twice, and not only is it crowded, but it's very hot. I've never been at Easter, but I think I'd almost be willing to exchange the crowds for the heat. Of course, young kids won't be able to tell they're missing out on the hot weather and put up with the crowds, so that may not a good alternative for you.

We were there this past Thanksgiving and were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too crowded. It may be worse next year because hopefully people will be traveling more, but I don't think Thanksgiving is ever as bad as Easter, and it won't be unbearably hot at that time of year. I would at least consider that if your kids don't have any other breaks off of school when it's not crowded and you're not willing to take them out of school.

If you are willing, I would take the kids out of school for the trip. At their ages, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Most of the time the teachers work with you and will give the kids some work to do. Our children have always kept a journal on our trips. It not only helps with creative writing, it gives them something to share when they get back.

Just a suggestion.

We are going the third week in June with 3 kids who are close in age to yours. I guess I am one of the few on these boards who won't take my kids out of school for a vacation even though I might personally like to go in a shoulder season. All my kids are proud of their perfect attendance and I'm glad they are. We are staying at the Contemporary Resort in a wing room (somewhat reasonable with the codes) and plan to come back to the room and swim each day before going to another park at night. We've done this twice before and it works for us. My kids think swimming is one of the main parts of any vacation. I think June will be great for us and spring break doesn't have the discounts that you can get in mid-June.

And yes, with young children, it is worth the money to stay not only on site, but on the monorail for easy transportation and taking breaks.

We have decided to go from6/22-6/30.
I am not comfortable taking my kids out and I too am a school teacher so that is not an option. We made reervations at the POR and from everything I have read I'm sure we will have a great time. Thanks for the help!
Nancy in NJ

i would also recommend taking them out fo school for off season
easter is going to be busy just like the summer

getting them out of school will be soo worth it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter