When to Buy the Gold AP?

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
I asked this on the Theme Parks forum with no success. I thought I'd ask here since the Gold AP is a DVC-related ticket.

My DH and I will be going to WDW in November and are planning on getting our first AP (a Gold since we will be going November this year and October next year). I'm thinking about going ahead and buying them since there have been historical price increases in February. But I'm also worried that a special discount might happen between now and November. If I purchase but don't activate and then a discount happens, can I get a refund for the difference? I did this with a regular ticket before, but not sure if I could do it with an AP.

sachilles

DVC coming to this space soon
What makes you think their will be a discount? They don't typically do that.
If anything the price will increase.

CarolMN

DVC Co-Moderator
FWIW, I do not think there will be any special AP discounts / deals in 2020. Crowds are up. There are no new parks opening in the Orlando area that might draw visitors away. There just isn't any reason for DIsney to offer ticket discounts..

IMO (and that's all it is, my opinion), there is a greater risk of prices going up than any special discounts on tickets. YMMV.

• Akck

Mouseketeer
    I’ve been debating this very thing and come to the conclusion to get the gold AP now. My original plan was to buy a 7-day hopper ticket from a discount outlet and then convert it to a gold AP at the end of November. I’m figuring the ticket discount received will be far less than any potential price increase for an AP. We’ll be going with our son’s family (our granddaughter mainly), so I’ll have him get their discounted tickets by the end of January, since February is historically a period when they raise ticket prices.

CanadaDisney05

DIS Veteran
    I’ve been debating this very thing and come to the conclusion to get the gold AP now. My original plan was to buy a 7-day hopper ticket from a discount outlet and then convert it to a gold AP at the end of November. I’m figuring the ticket discount received will be far less than any potential price increase for an AP. We’ll be going with our son’s family (our granddaughter mainly), so I’ll have him get their discounted tickets by the end of January, since February is historically a period when they raise ticket prices.
    Is this still a thing? If I buy the Canadian discounted ticket and wait till I enter the park, when I upgrade my ticket, will they use the "value" that I paid? Or the value of the 10 day park hopper on that specific day?

Akck

Mouseketeer
    Is this still a thing? If I buy the Canadian discounted ticket and wait till I enter the park, when I upgrade my ticket, will they use the "value" that I paid? Or the value of the 10 day park hopper on that specific day?
    I was referring to buying tickets from a discount broker such as Undercover Tourist. From what I’ve read, they’ll give you the full value as if you purchased the ticket directly from them plus tax, so you only pay the difference plus tax between the AP and ticket.

I have no idea about the Canadian discount ticket. I think it would depend on if the ticket was marked differently. If it looks like a “normal” ticket, I’d guess your chances are good.

jerseyduke

Home is just where you stay when not at WDW
    Theme park attendance is rocking.
    Rise of the Resistance is a smash hit.
    Mickey and Minnie's Runaway rail opens 3/4
    Ratatouille this summer.
    Guardians and Tron to follow late this year or next.

I would not expect a discount to be announced for all those reasons.
    Of course I could be wrong.

Sandisw

I was referring to buying tickets from a discount broker such as Undercover Tourist. From what I’ve read, they’ll give you the full value as if you purchased the ticket directly from them plus tax, so you only pay the difference plus tax between the AP and ticket.

I have no idea about the Canadian discount ticket. I think it would depend on if the ticket was marked differently. If it looks like a “normal” ticket, I’d guess your chances are good.
    Yes, this is still allowed and when I was there in October, I didn’t even have to go in and activate. They bridged it for me and the CM they do that now as a matter of practice since most people would go in and out anyway.

In terms of Canada tickets, I don’t know but I assume you would get gate price too.

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
    I am going this October (late....29-Nov 3) and possibly next October. If we go next October, it will be earlier in the month so *if* I were to get an AP this year, it would still be good. I am planning to purchase a 6-day PH from UCT within the next few weeks because I know that I will use that this year. By the time we travel, I will have our plans for next year nailed down and then I can decide if I will upgrade it to an AP or not. I sure wish you could link them in MDE and upgrade them without having to go to the park. That would be a great "perk".

DisneyStarWisher

Love My DVC!!!
    I think I will go ahead and get them next week. I always buy from Disney with Disney GCs that I save 16-19% on. I need to buy the GCs this weekend to get the savings.
    I am going this October (late....29-Nov 3) and possibly next October. If we go next October, it will be earlier in the month so *if* I were to get an AP this year, it would still be good. I am planning to purchase a 6-day PH from UCT within the next few weeks because I know that I will use that this year. By the time we travel, I will have our plans for next year nailed down and then I can decide if I will upgrade it to an AP or not. I sure wish you could link them in MDE and upgrade them without having to go to the park. That would be a great "perk".
    This has me thinking. Is there a reason you aren’t going ahead and buying the AP? Is it because you don’t know for sure if you’re going next year or is it to try to save on ticket costs?

kristenrice

NOT just an ambulance driver
    This has me thinking. Is there a reason you aren’t going ahead and buying the AP? Is it because you don’t know for sure if you’re going next year or is it to try to save on ticket costs?
    It is a little bit of both. I am not 100% I am going next year and I would like to buy *a* ticket before the inevitable price increase. I have the funds available for the 6-day park-hopper and since I know that I will use that ticket anyways, I am comfortable buying that before the prices go up. I know that the AP price will probably go up too, but if I buy the AP now and then don't end up going next year, I will be out a lot more than I would have saved.

My potential trip next year may be with my friend who is eligible for military discounts so, depending on my plans for 2022, I may have her get a military ticket for me and then upgrade that one if it is eligible. I want to keep my options open. I don't need Photopass this trip and that's really the only perk of an AP that I can't get with my DVC card.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

BUY DVC

SELL DVC

DVC POINT CHARTS

DIS PODCASTS