When to go - Sept or Oct?

OurLittleLove

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! I'm new here so please be gentle to the newbie.

My husband and I are taking our 2 year old on his first trip to Disney World. We are looking at when to go and have pretty much narrowed down to Sept or Oct, our dates within those months are flexible.

My biggest concerns are weather, lovebugs, and level of crowds.

At first I was thinking Sept because I've heard its very slow due to kids being back in school. But then I read about the love bug season and September and I'm officially scared. I'm not a bug person AT ALL and i'm envisioning myself being swarmed with bugs. I also read that September is the worst humidity and I would feel awful to have my little guy out at the parks in such heat.

So now I'm considering October but will it be warm enough to use the pool? My concern is that the parks will be very heavily packed due to the food and wine festival.

What do you think?

My husband and I are taking our 2 year old on his first trip to Disney World. We are looking at when to go and have pretty much narrowed down to Sept or Oct, our dates within those months are flexible.

At first I was thinking Sept because I've heard its very slow due to kids being back in school. But then I read about the love bug season and September and I'm officially scared. I'm not a bug person AT ALL and i'm envisioning myself being swarmed with bugs. I also read that September is the worst humidity and I would feel awful to have my little guy out at the parks in such heat.

So now I'm considering October but will it be warm enough to use the pool? My concern is that the parks will be very heavily packed due to the food and wine festival.

What do you think?

Seriously, love bugs are NOT a problem. There aren't huge swarms of them anywhere. People tend to blow them out of proportion. And I'd be willing to be you won't notice any at all.

October is still plenty warm to use the pool in Florida. It doesn't start getting chilly down here until December usually. I normally have my windows open on Thanksgiving.

As for the heat/humidity, October will be better than September.

As to the F&W crowds, those are ONLY at Epcot and are normally only really bad on weekends when the locals come out to play too. Other than that, the rest of the parks are very reasonable. I have been going in early October for years. DH's birthday is then and that's what he requests each year. DH is spoiled and won't stand in a line longer than 20 minutes and that has never really been an issue for us at that time of year.

Last time we went to DW was in October. Had no issue with going swimming. The nights can get a little chillier, but we're from the midwest so we still never wore a coat. It wasn't July hot, so we could go longer in the parks without feeling like the heat completely exhausted us.

The Food and Wine Festival in Epcot starts at the end of September. Could be fun for you and your husband---especially if your little one will nap in the stroller while you cruise through the lands.

Heat and humidity is certainly better in October. We were there last year during the last week of October and used the pool every day. (I've swam in the pools in mid - December so I wouldn't worry) I would skip Epcot if you go during F&W. I hated how crowded Epcot was... the other parks were fine though. That being said, the crowds are even better in September (also the prices are better if you are staying onsite!)

I don't think you can really go wrong with those months at all. We went in mid Sept last year and I don't remember any bugs at all, I really think the love bugs are a non-issue. We did notice the humidity! But we are from Colorado and the temp and humidity were quite a change for us. I've been at Thanksgiving before too and it was warm enough for swimming. I can't really speak to F&W crowds but this year we have our trip planned during the opening of F&W and I'm not concerned. You will have a great trip whenever you go!

Seriously, love bugs are NOT a problem. There aren't huge swarms of them anywhere. People tend to blow them out of proportion. And I'd be willing to be you won't notice any at all. we went in late sept. it was swarms and horrific

October is still plenty warm to use the pool in Florida. It doesn't start getting chilly down here until December usually. I normally have my windows open on Thanksgiving.

As for the heat/humidity, October will be better than September.

As a 14 year local...I would pick mid to late Sept. F&W brings in people (mostly on the weekend though) and October is one of the busiest months anymore with so many schools on fall break throughout the month. Love bugs can get bad, but some years are hardly noticeable. An FYI...they are attracted to the color white, not darker colors, so if you tend to wear white or light colors they will be attracted to you. It will be warm enough to swim both times. Hope this helps, have a great trip!

i'm a Florida native and lived there for 20+ years and am VERY familiar with love bugs. We went last year the Wednesday after Labor Day and did not see a SINGLE BUG the whole time we were there. My 3 year old would have freaked out if she did!

I only wish we could go early September every year...but I'm a teacher and only get 2 personal days with all sorts of restrictions on them. That with wanting to spend more than 5 days pretty much eliminates September vacations, especially as the kids are getting close to middle school.

September was awesome-low crowds and much cheaper!

Florida I think is a bit more predictable on weather than other parts of the US but still weather can change. I have been 3 times. Once in mid Sept. then Late Oct into the first of Nov and we are planning a mid to late Oct trip coming up. To be real honest I didn't notice a temp. difference between mid Sept and late Oct. I'm in the midwest so yes the humidity is different down there but to me it's not near as bad as what I deal with in Kansas. The air actually gets stagnant here at times, like now when it's 98% and nothing is moving. I have yet to experience that in Florida as there's always some sort of breeze. I too have read about the love bugs and have seen maybe 4 around our resort total, both trips. Crowd wise we did find mid Sept. to be a little less crowded. Yet even in late Oct when we were there for the very end of the Halloween season and the set up for Christmas there wasn't a ride we couldn't get a fast pass for, nor did we wait in any line longer than 30-45 minutes without a fast pass. Including Toy Story Mania. We actually rode it 3 times in one day in Oct. and only once was with a fast pass. As far as MK crowds we usually do our few autographs and less popular rides on a regular park day and then hit the more popular rides during a Halloween party when the lines are much shorter. As for benefits I think you will find Sept to have less crowds, and Oct to have the best chance of warm but not hot weather.

I have been to WDW in both Sept and Oct. I don't recall bugs at all (we were there Sept 20-23). I do recall one of the days was pretty hot. Our Oct trip is one of my favorites, weather was perfect, kids definitely went swimming (all the pools are heated).

September is super humid, but crowds are better. Last year we went Oct 1-8 and there were still plenty of very warm days, but crowds were significantly higher than Sept. F&W does make EPCOT pretty crowded but definitely stay away from weekends. That's when all the locals go and it can get pretty rowdy.

The week after Labor Day in September is one of the slowest times. I would go for that reason. I went early October and it was still really hot and humid. I would choose early September if my kids weren't in school. We go late August so I don't mind the heat and humidity.

We are going in September for the first time this year. We normally go in October and it's plenty warm. I've never not been able to wear shorts every day. We're trying September for the crowd level this year. Either time is great...eeny meeny miny mo...

What do you think?

Bugs aren't that bad in the parks. Lots of bees though because the humidity is the WORST in August and September. Weather is so much better in October, however it is a bit slower in September, especially because Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party is in October so it gets packed. On that topic, though, the Halloween Party is a bunch of fun and I think your child would enjoy it, even though he's young. It'd be so cute to dress him up! October is definitely the better bet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter