When to visit Galaxy’s Edge? 29/30/31 August?

meggiebeth

WDW, DLR & DLP enthusiast
Hi everyone,

We are visiting WDW in late August and can’t decide 1) whether to do Galaxy’s Edge and 2) whether to do it on opening day, the 30th, or the 31st August. We’ve never been to a park for an opening before - does anyone have an idea of which day crowds would be lightest? (Although to be honest, I’m guessing that there won’t be much difference.) Does anyone have experience of Pandora’s opening day, and how long we would need to expect the queue for the ride to be? We don’t want to wait five hours to get on, but if we got there early, a two hour wait would be a bit better.

Also, does anyone have any idea on whether the opening will affect crowds the week before the opening? I’m hoping not much will change, but want to go prepared!

Thanks in advance! :)

I think I might avoid it opening day. Listen to the reports to see what the crowds are like and how Disney is handling the crowds, lines, etc.... and try to go on the 30th. The 31st can be your back up day.

Crowds will not be lighter on the first weekend.

The ride wait will not be shorter than 5 hours if I were to guess.

Flight of Passage had a 4 hour wait last weekend.

This ride has been out for what....a year this June or July and you STILL have 4 hour waits for it??!! I cannot imagine what the SWGE rides are going to look like this time next year! :earseek: :scared1:

Honestly, I'm not expecting the crowds to be low at all for the first week, for two reasons.
1) Star Wars fandom is committed, and willing to wait as long as it takes to immerse in the story they love. The anticipation for this new land from people who normally don't go to Disney is huge.

2) They are opening on the Thursday before Labor Day, which most people have a 3 day weekend for.

4 hours at FoP is also with FP in the mix. Without FP, the wait would likely be shorter. Just saying. FP makes stand by longer, at least in most cases.
And I'll venture to guess, that 4 hours was with an outage in there, either a theater was down or the entire thing briefly.

Pandora (if you can compare) was busiest opening day. It dropped from there, though still stayed busy for about a week. If I remember correctly (and I'm old, my memory is faulty, LOL) the waits to get in the land ended after about a week.

My trip is planned for the last week in August as well. I have been going back and forth with the 29th/30th and 31st also. My current plan, is to try to do my Toy Story Land and other DHS attractions earlier in the week (maybe the 25th or 28th) and focus on Galaxy Edge for the 30th. Hopefully, I can learn some things from watching these boards on opening day.

if you do not care about being there opening day I would go the day after get to the park at least two hours before opening( bring your breakfast and just sit in line while you wait) and you the wait might be 2 hours after the park opens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter