When to wear a birthday button

knlasv

Mouseketeer
When is it appropriate to wear a birthday celebration button? Only on your actual birthday? All week if your birthday falls during your trip? What if your birthday is a week before or after the trip? A month after? Just getting opinions here! Thanks!

Anytime you feel like it really. Nobody is checking ID or anything. I think for the span of your trip is fine, or however long you want to wear it. It's also okay if it's not your actual Birthday. I did a trip with a friend of mine and it was supposed to have been the week of his birthday, but then we ended up having to move it a couple of weeks. He still got a button though (actually they gave him one without asking at the resort). Anyway, it's no big deal about it, at least as far as I'm concerned.

If we are there celebrating a birthday - no matter when it was or is - our kids where them the whole time we are there. Once my DH and I were celebrating our anniversary and we wore it for days. We celebrate birthdays at home for a week all the time. Have fun!

Whenever you want. I wore mine just on my birthday (I don't like the attention as I am very shy). My daughter wears hers the whole trip and loves the happy birthday wishes. The best was standing in a huge rainstorm waiting for the CBR bus at HS (line stretched past 3 bus stops). A couple families sang happy birthday to her at the top of their lungs. She was delighted by it. I think she preferred that to the occasional free cupcake she got. (She turned 13 a couple weeks ago).

Had a great experience while wearing my birthday button in HS last fall. Cast member came up to me and asked if she could sing to me in English, Italian, or Swahili. I chose Swahili, because it's not often that you hear that one.

My opinion is not popular, but you asked!

Our family never wore a button other than on our birthday itself. Not the whole trip: just one single day. The buttons used to look like this:

TodayBirthday_zps195dc573.jpg

"TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY" and that's what we stuck with.

What happens if you're not there on your birthday? My opinion is that if your birthday is/was within a couple of weeks, go ahead and have fun. It's close enough and you're still in the birthday mood. Get the button and go to town. If it's not, then I simply don't understand the need for an adult to "celebrate" months and months before or after the real date. Yeah, I've heard the arguments before ... "I/DH/DW/DD/DS always work on my birthday." or "This is my birthday present to myself." and "This was the only time it worked for our family." I get it that people want to make the trip special, but for goodness sakes all of us are within 182 days of a birthday. A birthday is really not all that special. Notice that I said "adults". Kids are completely different and it's always OK for them to wear a button.

All that being said, Disney now wants you to "celebrate" your birthday, your half-birthday, your 8/12ths birthday ... whatever. The know that if you are "celebrating" something you are far more likely to open up your wallet for The Mouse to take what he wants. "Let's splurge! It is/was/will be my birthday within the last/next 182 days!!!" So Disney doesn't mind you celebrating. No they don't! In fact, they encourage you to "celebrate" whatever you want, whenever you want.

To sum it up: My family only wear the button on the birthday itself. My opinion is that a button is OK if your birthday is close to when you're there. Disney wants you to "celebrate" and spend money so it's a-okay by them is you grab a button and wear it your entire trip months after your birthday so you should go ahead and do what you want.

My opinion is not popular, but you asked!

Our family never wore a button other than on our birthday itself. Not the whole trip: just one single day. The buttons used to look like this:

TodayBirthday_zps195dc573.jpg

"TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY" and that's what we stuck with.

What happens if you're not there on your birthday? My opinion is that if your birthday is/was within a couple of weeks, go ahead and have fun. It's close enough and you're still in the birthday mood. Get the button and go to town. If it's not, then I simply don't understand the need for an adult to "celebrate" months and months before or after the real date. Yeah, I've heard the arguments before ... "I/DH/DW/DD/DS always work on my birthday." or "This is my birthday present to myself." and "This was the only time it worked for our family." I get it that people want to make the trip special, but for goodness sakes all of us are within 182 days of a birthday. A birthday is really not all that special. Notice that I said "adults". Kids are completely different and it's always OK for them to wear a button.

All that being said, Disney now wants you to "celebrate" your birthday, your half-birthday, your 8/12ths birthday ... whatever. The know that if you are "celebrating" something you are far more likely to open up your wallet for The Mouse to take what he wants. "Let's splurge! It is/was/will be my birthday within the last/next 182 days!!!" So Disney doesn't mind you celebrating. No they don't! In fact, they encourage you to "celebrate" whatever you want, whenever you want.

To sum it up: My family only wear the button on the birthday itself. My opinion is that a button is OK if your birthday is close to when you're there. Disney wants you to "celebrate" and spend money so it's a-okay by them is you grab a button and wear it your entire trip months after your birthday so you should go ahead and do what you want.

Same here. I know many do, but I don't understand the point of anyone (aside from young kids) wearing a birthday pin on days when it's not their birthday. Unless it's my birthday day, I wouldn't want CM's going out of their way to tell me happy birthday when it wasn't my birthday. No one I know wears a birthday pin outside of their actual day when at Disney.

If it's not the actual day, the "I'm celebrating" pin seems like a better choice

I would definitely wear a button on my birthday, but it would feel weird to me being wished happy birthday if it wasn't my actual birthday, so for me, I would only wear a button on my actual day.

I don't care what others choose to do, but if you are wished a happy birthday, just smile and say thank you.....

I stopped wishing people happy birthday because so many people started to explain how it wasn't really their birthday.

Been to Disney once on my birthday - and I only wore it that day. I liked the Happy Birthday wishes - especially since it was a solo trip that year. As an adult, I think other days would feel weird.

I think if you are on a trip and it's really your birthday during that time - the actual day or the whole trip is "fine" in my opinion. I know some folks wear one simply because it's "their birthday trip" but the dates do not coincide or just to get the extra attention and since nobody is policing and it's really a personal decision - okay. I think that would feel odd to me.

So do you have to ask for a birthday button? How do you get it?

All pins are at every ticket window. You just ask for a Birthday pin or anniversary pin, etc

you can also get them form the resorts
guest relation
store
on main street ( when the parks first open)
I think I might have missed some

any ways just ask a Cm chances are they will have some or there will be some just steps away.

Just saying....

My birthday is November 13 and my mom's is January 27. As a teacher, I will never be able to celebrate my actual birthday or my mom's in the park. Yes we are travel buddies. We are going during Christmas this year and as that will be the closest we ever are to celebrating it both together and in park, we are wearing buttons all week. We are not looking for any freebies, just to make us feel like we are celebrating special days together. We are also not doing any bday celebrations outside of this to save up for the trip.

We were there once the week of my birthday and I only wore the pin on my actual birthday...I would have felt weird to wear it beyond that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter