• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where do you carry your stuff without stroller?

CDisney

DIS Addict
We're going to forgo the stroller this trip, now that the kids are older. But, we've gotten used to the "chariot" for carrying snacks, water for everyone, ponchos, camera, sunscreen etc., etc., etc. I'm not willing to become a pack horse, so what do you do with all the stuff without the stroller?

We had stroller during our recent trip but didnt use it to carry stuff. I found a large sized fanny pack at Target that carried 2 water bottles for my DH to wear. In the pack he had water, snacks for the boys, 3 pull ups for the little one, baggie of wipes, small packets of sunscreen. My older son (5 yo) had a fanny pack with a water bottle, his autograph book, penny press book and coins. I carried a fanny pack/camera bag that primarily had the camera and my wallet in it. Seemed to work really well. We didn't do shopping until we left or had it sent directly to our room.

We still use the stroller, but for our carry bag have a navy back pack style diaper bag. It has an insulated compartment and another pocket with room to carry sunscreen, rain ponchos, snacks and any clothing changes we may need. That way we can still be hands free. I bought ours at a Babies R Us store, but have seen them in Target and Wal Mart also.

we're still stroller dependant - I can't imagine how we will cope without it!

But for carrying essentials, rather than a waist pack (Which I don't like as my waist is big enough already!), I've bought a small bag that hangs diagonally across the body. It's big enough for my money, camera, wipes and a juice box- the essentials of life!

bev

That day is coming for us soon too! I love my stroller! For carring all the junk! Each time we go I bring less and less...So when it is time I will be a pro! I have a back pack I used this year for the camera and some other stuff. I use to bring a ton of snacks with us but DH prefers to eat his way through the park so the kids would do the same....So now I just pack a little more money, and totally kid friendly snacks....

My recommendation is to spend some time looking for a bag (or maybe 2) that your family won't mind carrying. That may be a large fanny pack, a pack that goes across your chest, or a backpack. You may want to consider something pretty big and something a little smaller so that you and your spouse can swap as needed. Just make sure that the bags fit everyone who will carry them.

Then, you need to think about ways to reduce. For water, buy water bottle straps once you're there, if you don't have them already. Everyone carries a bottle of water with them when they leave. If you don't want to buy additional water in the parks, either get Britta bottles with filters, or carry a baggie with Kool-aid or something to mix in with free water (if the taste/smell of the water there bothers you). For sun screen, each morning fill a travel size shampoo bottle or something about that size. Buy small disposible ponchos that are under a dollar so that they're very small before they're used and can be thrown away after. Try to think about all the ways you can either eliminate carrying things or make them smaller.

Our backpack died, (zipper malfunction), last year. Conveniently it was right in front of the Emporiom on Main St, MK. We bought a Disney packpack/daypack type thing. Not REAL big, with a drawstring type closure and a flap that folds over the top. We don't carry much so it's no problem for one of us to have over our shoulder. We are not the 'pack mule' type. Usually it contains a camera, sunscreen, maybe some hats, ponchos if rain is threatened. If you really try to cut down, it's suprising how little you actually NEED to carry.

The first trip I did without Erich in a stroller I was so afraid we'd be misrable but it worked out well.I have the mid size WDW 2000 backpack that's just the right size to carry.Even the boys both 8,take turns carrying it.I usually bring 2 cheapie ponchos for each like the ones Walmart sells.They come folded in a nice little package ,easy to carry and even after wearing are smaller and lighter than the ones sold there.I bring one each in the backpackand leave the others as spares back at the room.All four of us have the waterbottle strings from the parks.Soda bottles and beer fit them too!I have a small tube of sun screen and one that's like a great big chapstick.I just take what ID is necessary and my money and put them in the zipper pocket which the flap then buckles over too.There's room inside the backpack for camera and extra film.If you need jackets in the a.m. rent a locker so you don't have to carry them around when it gets hot but still have them around if it cools down in the evening.Like Bob NC said you'll be amazed at what you REALLY need!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter