Where else in the USA to visit?

mindy32

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

So our next trip is probably 3 years away but I'm having an awful week so planning for this future trip is what's keeping me sane! We intend to go back to the US for our 30th birthdays which both fall in the same month, mine at the beginning and DH's at the end so we are thinking about going for just over a month. I want to spend my bday in Disneyworld and DH wants to have his in Vegas. We also are contemplating going back to Cancun, San Diego & then new places we're thinking about include San Fran, Nashville & Banff in Canada. But I'm totally open to suggestions and would love to hear about all the other places in North America you have all been! So, sell me on your fave place!?

Since you will already be in Florida I would suggest Key West. For out west, somewhere in the Rockies. I have visited the Columbia River valley in Oregon and that was really nice with all the waterfalls and Mount St. Helen's nearby.

My family loves Colorado Springs, Colorado. If you enjoy nature and scenery, you can't beat it. We always visit the Natural Bridge Caverns, Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak (you can take the railway to the top and have donuts) and we love Royal Gorge Bridge. My favorite place though is the Colorado Springs Zoo. You can feed the giraffes there. OH!! And Seven Falls which is beautiful during the day and at night when they light up all of the waterfalls.

Now I'm thinking we need to go back for a visit ourselves! We've been many times and we even considered moving there.

New Orleans is amazing (stay in Westwego at bayou signet).

The northern coasts of the US (both east and west) have amazing stuff to see/do.

Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon...

Lava Bed Caves in Nor Cal.

If you go to Seattle, Washington, take a ferry over to Vancouver...and stay a while there.

I haven't had a chance to really explore the US yet. Apart from Disneyland, we've only been to San Francisco, the Grand Canyon and Vegas. We enjoyed San Francisco and the Grand Canyon - weren't that into Vegas, but neither of us are into big cities and nightlife, so it was a bit wasted on us.

I'm more interested in nature and scenery, and would love to get to some of the national parks over there. I'm particularly obsessed with the desert and amazing rock formations they have, and would love to see the Saguaro National Park, Monument Valley and Death Valley. Probably depends on which month it is though as to how much time you want to spend in the desert ;)

I also second Key West and New Orleans (not that I've been to either, just want to!). And I hear the drive from San Francisco to Anaheim is well worth doing :thumbsup2

There are so many options, I have a huge list of places I would like to see and the list gets bigger when I hear what other people have done or seen.
I really loved New Orleans, I spent a week there and it was not enough. I also loved Niagra Falls but when it was still frozen in parts, (we went in April) It was so different from anything I had seen in Australia with all the huge blocks of ice etc, not sure I would have liked it as much when it is just the waterfall (even though I am sure it is nice) I also loved the drive from Niagra falls to Washington DC, I just wished we had time to stop and shop at the little Amish towns. I was really ill during our time at the Grand Canyon but I did love it, but liked Bryce Canyon more. It was a nice drive around that area.

Let us know what you decide and share with us other things you find in your search for places, it means I can add more to my wish list:thumbsup2

Mindy32 - What sort of things to you like to see or do?

The US has lots of great cities, fantastic national parks and everything in between. You can plan any type of holiday you want based on what you want to see or do.

I love the national parks and driving trips and small towns. So, we've driven from LA to New York, hitting as many national parks as possible, along the prairies and into all the small towns along the way; and across towards Chicago.

There's also the East Coast; New York, Boston, the Maine Coastline, Niagara and Eastern Canada (Toronto, Quebec, Montreal).

The Grand Circle national parks through Southern Utah, Arizona, Colorado are beautiful. Zion, Bryce, Escalante, Kodachrome, Arches, Glen Canyon, Grand Canyon are all fantastic to visit.

Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons are also NP that are beautiful to see.

Then there is the First Nations trails through Arizona and New Mexico; following the Anasazi or Ancient Puebloans. Some of their ruins and cave dwellings are amazing.

So many places.....it really depends on what you're looking for.

We are in the middle of our road trip. Did a side trip to Graceland in Memphis - I'd only recommend if you're an Elvis fan. But one of my new favourite places is New Orleans. LOVED IT

I agree with PrincessinOz....Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon are breathtaking national parks.

I depends what you like I guess, but my favourite place in the USA is Washington DC. But I love history etc. If you have kids the Smithsonian Museum can't be beaten. But you need at least 3 days to see it all.

I also the small towns , Pennsylvania is beautiful, the mountains etc. There is so much to see in AMerica, you will have fun no matter where you go :)

If you go to San Fransisco, I also say Yosemite National Park is a good place to visit. Truly awe inspiring.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

We're pretty easy, we like some of everything really! That's why it is so hard to narrow down where we want to go. In saying that though we're the kind of people who need to have something to do. I like national parks but couldn't just do days of it. But then we're not neccessarily huge city people either, I think we like most things in small doses though!

Sounds like a lot of people love New Orleans, I'll have to consider that one, and Washington DC.

I should have mentioned the places we went on our last (and so far only) trip: LA, San Diego, Vegas, a road trip to the Grand Canyon & New Mexico, New York, Orlando, Cancun & Cuba. We want to do a lot of those again but feel like if we're going to go all that way we should see and do some new places!

Lots of great ideas here - we want to go for my DH's 40th and thats 6 years away! We want to do a big loop starting California, going across the bottom, up the East Coast (via Florida and WDW!) across the top and back down the west coast.

Now I'm off to buy a lotto ticket... or DH only really needs one kidney right? :rotfl2:

We want to do a big loop starting California, going across the bottom, up the East Coast (via Florida and WDW!) across the top and back down the west coast.

::yes:: Perfect! A bit of everything... now where is that pesky winning lotto ticket :rotfl:

oooh! What's Cuba like? I've always wanted to go, but thinking about it makes me nervous! :rotfl:

One of the best experiences I have had in the USA was in Washington DC. We did a Segway tour around the city visiting all the memorials and famous landmarks including the White House and Congress. We stayed out in Georgetown which was sensational with a strip of nice little restaurants and bars.

Teaspoons you've made me feel lots better about planning in advance lol!

DizOz that actually sounds really awesome, I think DC might have to go in the list for next time.

Bec Cuba was pretty amazing! I did a brief report on it in my trip report but if you want to hear more ill post some photos etc at some stage if you like?

Bec Cuba was pretty amazing! I did a brief report on it in my trip report but if you want to hear more ill post some photos etc at some stage if you like?

I'd love to read more about it. Can you put up a link to your TR? And I'd definitely love to see some photos too :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter