Where to buy those new little plastic luggage closures....

They're called cable ties, you can buy them at Radio Shack, and car parts place, auto aisle in Wal-Mart, computer store, etc. They're dirt cheap ($2 for 100 or so)

Anne

Suggestion ... get the larger or wider ties ... even if they seem long. Reason is that they are sturdier.

Also ... don't forget to pack extras, cause unfortunately you do have to go home and they are one-time-use only!

Just got mine today at WalMart, in the electrical area. 100 for $2.
I got the 4" skinny ones, but I suppose I can just put two on each bag for extra security. I am amazed that you really can't pull them apart once tightened.

Or if you live in the Chicago area, come see me...I work for a company take makes cable ties, and they have give-away days every six months so I have a HUGE stash. The only thing handier than a cable tie for quick household repairs and various uses is duct tape.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

You could start a new company...

Barb's Bargin Cable ties.... sell enough of them and it pays for a spa treatment :)

Hey if you through in a chocolate from your pillow (you must have saved a great deal of them up over the 29 cruises) you could call the Barb's Bargin Unofficial Disney Cruise Line Cable Ties- that should fetch and extra dollar on ebay :)

I think you're really on to something here!
I remember seeing the paper luggage tags that they give to everyone on the last night on Ebay once. They were listed as "rare, exclusive concierge luggage tags" (no mention of the fact that they are free, freely available, or made of paper). I have various colors of cable ties, so I could list them as "rare, exclusive concierge ties...secure your luggage like the rich & famous do!"
Barb

We used key rings instead of plastic ties. The security agent at the airport complimented us on our choice. It keeps the zipper secure, and it's easy to open and close.

The best part is that they're resuable. You don't have to worry about cutting them open and replacing them.

Regina, I was just thinking about those when I started reading this thread. If the security personnel have to open your luggage, they can do so without having to cut the ties. Also, how many people carry scissors with them to cut open those cable ties (since scissors cannot be carried onto the plane with you) I really like the idea of key chains.

Sue Ellen

Are you not allowed to lock your luggage anymore? If not, aren't the cable ties the same as a lock or even more of a burden because you have to cut them off? With a lock, you can easily unlock your luggage in the event it is searched and then lock it again in order to check it.

Someone please help a confused old man about the benefits of cable ties.:confused:

Thanks.

DH was just asking this tonight; If they do search your luggage, then it comes off with nothing on, and then has to go to the port that way? It seems to me that they should be able to replace a cable tie! Who's had first-hand experience with the "new security?"

Our garment bag was searched on the way home from our Jan. cruise, and although they did not replace the cable ties, they sealed it up really good with airline tape. Of course, that might have been due to the fact that it is falling apart and had to be sealed some way or it probably would have opened (hint, hint, Tony, we HAVE to get another garment bag, even tho' I know you'll probably try to nurse it through yet another trip in March!).
Barb

WHEN WE WENT ON OUR JAN. CRUISE WE USED THE CABLE TIES AND DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THEM. I DID PUT A PAIR OF THE LARGE TOENAIL CLIPPERS IN THE OUTSIDE POCKET SO WE COULD CUT THEM OFF ONCE WE WERE IN THE ROOM. ALSO REMEMBER NOT TO PULL THEM CLOSED AS FAR AS THEY GO BECAUSE IT MAKES THEM REALLY HARD TO CUT WITH CLIPPERS, JUST LEAVE A SMALL LOOP.;)

This may sound funny, but in the past I've used a plastic "twisty tie" that comes on a loaf of bread to secure the zippers on my suitcase. I don't have to worry about the zippers coming open, and it's easy to remove and re-use. Just a thought in case you're ever rushing out the door to the airport and find yourself cable tie-less! :)

On our recent trip to DLP and Tanzania the us of duffel bags was required. We used zip ties to secure and the last item paced before zipping it up was a baggie with extra ties and an obvious note stating "if this bag was opened to be search please use the enclosed zip ties to re secure". Lynn's bag was searched and re secured. We know because we used different colored ties.

No Bobski, you're not allowed to lock your luggage anymore.

They have checked luggage screening stations at the airports. For the trip down, they opened all of our bags. At our airport, the security agent scanned the contents and every pocket with what appears to be a small white strip of paper. What it actually does is detect the presence of explosives. (My DH works in a secure facility and explained it to me because I was clueless.)

We checked our luggage at Port Canaveral for the return trip, so I don't know what happened to them from there.

I've already mentioned using key rings on the Transportation board because cable ties require something to cut them open. That can be a real problem since you're supposed to pack sharp instruments in the checked bags. Someone responded with facing that very dilemna, and it was very inconvenient.

We have been using cable ties for years to secure our luggage, and have never had a problem. We used to put a small pair of wire cutters in our bag to open them but now use a pair of nail clippers (without the sharp file). We also make sure they are still on before we hand them over to the porters at the ship.
Make sure the size you buy will fit through your zipper pulls, some of the thicker ones will not work.
We have always used luggage straps also, any current experience with the use of these or are they a no-no also? These really help us to find our luggage since we use neon colors with our black luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter