• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to stay night before when splitting up the drive into Port Canaveral?

hamiltito

Earning My Ears
In August we will be driving from Maryland to Port Canaveral for a seven night cruise on the Fantasy. The drive altogether is 12-12.5 hours and we could do it in one long day the day before, but I'm thinking it may make more sense to drive most of the way on Friday and the last portion on Saturday before we board. Since it's a week-long cruise and we've been on DCL once before I don't see any real need to board early this time. We've flown for all of our previous trips to Florida for WDW or cruises. This brings me to two questions:

-What is the most driving you would leave for yourself on the day of the cruise so you don't feel at all burned out from driving in when you get to the ship?

-Recommendations for places to stay (I'm more concerned with cities than specific hotels) the night before our cruise if we split up our drive on the way down? Both because we have been before and because I don't want a four hour drive the day of the cruise, I'd like to be past Savannah when we stop for the night.

Thanks!

This may not be helpful at all but both times when we have driven down from MD we spent at least one night before on property at Disney. It was nice to get the trip started with a little Disney beforehand :) We also started our day with a nice table service breakfast (last time at Ohana and a quick loop on the monorail) before heading to the port. Our first cruise we stopped in Savannah on the way down and Charleston on the way home. On our last sailing we stopped at pretty much the exact halfway point, Florence, SC on the way down and drove home all in one day post cruise (it actually wasn't bad at all-off the ship at 8 am and home by 9 pm).

I'd agree that being past Savannah is a good goal. Ideally, below Jacksonville would be better. Savannah to the port will be probably 4.5 hours drive. Jacksonville to the port would probably be under 2 hours.

If you can make it to Daytona, you might find some reasonable hotel rates.

I would definitely agree that stopping in Savannah on boarding day is pushing it. If you must stop there, do it on the south side. Every time we've driven through Savannah, we've hit crazy traffic. There is a steady stream of cars into FL, as well. Jacksonville, depending on the time could also have a lot of traffic. That's why I said to push on to Daytona.

We've driven for 10 hours at a time. My DH's back couldn't take any more (he likes to do all the driving, though). I've gone on other trips to other places for 14 hours when I was younger (fewer aches and pains) and it was fine. I think even if you decide to do all 12hours, you might be able to do it without affecting yourself for the cruise. You know your body the best, though. How many stops are you making in that time? Can you sleep all right after being in a vehicle for that long or are you wired up?

Another approach you might look at would be to leave a night earlier, after work, and drive for 3 hours, say, then stop and push into FL, closer to the port on the day you were travelling. It's an extra hotel, but it spreads out the time in the car.

We've overnighted in Jacksonville twice. I found plenty of (nice) hotels right on the interstate at great prices. I think it's a 2.5-3 hour drive which always makes me nervous that morning, but both times we have arrived at port by 11am... after the hotels' free breakfast and a stop at Walgreens for the things that we forgot at home.

I agree - I'd want to stop no earlier than Jacksonville. I think that's doable.

South Jacksonville would be good, or Daytona would be my choice for a small walk on the beach :)

We drive from Atlanta and stay at the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island. It's nice, on the beach and the next day's drive is less than 3 hours to the port.

We stayed in Jacksonville near the airport the night before. Left us about a 2 hour drive the next day (mostly due to traffic). Easy to get on and off the interstate, lots of hotel choices, and plenty of restaurants in the area.

I would personally try and get to port Canaveral that first day. Maybe make it a full day of traveling, but stop in several cities and take in some sites?

If you really want to stop, judging by a map, I would try to make it to Savannah, GA or Jacksonville, FL on the first leg. Savannah looks like it will be 4 hours away, and Jacksonville looks like it will be about 2 hours away.

I would say be that close, because traffic and/or weather can effect you possibly getting to the ship on time. This is why I would say driving all the way would be my choice.

We drive from Richmond, VA (actually heading out Friday for the 6/11 Dream). We normally stop in Pooler, GA. Basically, Savannah. Nice hotels, restuarants and a fairly new outlet mall all right on 95. We love it.

Jacksonville/St Augustine areas I would recommend. It's an easy enough drive to make in a day, and it only leaves you a couple hour drive the next day. St. Augustine area is really nice.

I'll echo what everyone else has said: Get to Northern FL. We did it once stopping in Savannah but getting on the road again by 6AM. We were fine, but we preferred driving a little longer on day one (Left at 6AM to bypass both the Baltimore and DC beltways) arriving in Orange Park in time for a late dinner and some pool time. After that, it was a little more than 2 hours and we were refreshed and ready to go.

We make this drive several times a year from NoVA. We really like the Bartram Park area of south Jacksonville. There's several hotels to choose from and a shopping area with a lot of food options (and everything is pretty new). Its exit 335 off of 95.

We have driven from Jersey Shore area many times to WDW and Cape Canaveral. We are further north, so we usually make it to Brunswwick, GA, but it is still at least 3.5-4 hours to the port. We have also stopped North of Savannah and then drove to Cocoa Beach and stayed over night, taking our time.

I agree to get south of Jacksonville would be the best thing. But if you can make it to the Cocoa Beach are in a day I would ,at do it. But, in saying that I do like to be well rested before starting our cruises.

All the best. Happy cruising!

I'm not trying to be contrary, but I do want to discuss some advantages to the alternative position. To me, if you are going to drive 10.5 hours out of 12.5, why bother to stop for the night at all? No matter what time it is (assuming it isn't like past midnight, but it won't be if you start at a reasonable hour) when you get to Jacksonville, you are almost there. Why stop then?

On the other hand, the OP already said they have no desire to get on the boat early, so they don't have to get to PC until like 2:30 or so. OK, maybe they don't want to cut it that close, given what could happen on the morning drive. But still, if you stopped in Savannah ("worst case scenario," for example), and had 4.5 hours to go, and wanted to be there by 1 PM (plenty of extra time), you still wouldn't have to leave the hotel until 8:30. Not a rushed morning at all, and plenty of time at the back end if there are issues on the road.

This way, it makes the first day much more relaxed. Stop somewhere along the way and see a few sights, arrive at the hotel at dinner time, get to bed early. Rest and relax. Then drive the short leg, 4.5 hours the next morning. Enjoy the journey, not just the destination.

Just my thoughts. Have a great trip.

What we've done a few times is stop at the DVC Hilton Head resort. We also live in MD, and it's a bit over 8 hours to Hilton Head, then 5 1/2 to 6 hours to either DCL or WDW. Plus it starts the Disney vacation a day early.

We drive from Richmond, VA (actually heading out Friday for the 6/11 Dream). We normally stop in Pooler, GA. Basically, Savannah. Nice hotels, restuarants and a fairly new outlet mall all right on 95. We love it.
Pooler has worked really well for us too (we also happen to love Savannah). So far we've stayed at the Microtel and Best Western Plus- both right next to 95. We used the BW+ as a stopping point to Orlando a couple months ago.

We did one cruise where we stopped in the St. Augustine area. Another time we stayed at Disney's Hilton Head Resort for 4 nights and then headed down and did a 3-night on the Dream.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter