Where to Stay? Where to Eat? Help me Plan!!

Another vote for the Epcot area resorts. We've stayed in BC & BW, and are only slightly partial to BW. I would stay at YC as well if given the opportunity.

Dh and I used to always stay at the Swan before we had DD. Rates were lower than Boardwalk and Beach club. Dh LOVES the drinks at the grotto pool bar plus the food is pretty fantastic. You don't have the magic band for rooms but you can get them to use for the parks. You get the same advanced dining reservations and fast pass reservations as Disney resorts. Swan has queen beds. The grotto pool it shares with the dolphin is lovely. There is a coffee shop at the swan and kimonos for excellent sushi. You can easily walk to boardwalk then onto epcot and HS. What you save on room costs can go toward dining. We like trattoria on the boardwalk for their homemade pasta. I have read great reviews of shula's steakhouse at the dolphin, but it is out of our price range. We are rewards members and would often request a complimentary upgrade upon check in, get it, then end up with a balcony and view of epcot fireworks. Fun! We found it to be a romantic resort.

Just to muddle the water a bit more all of the deluxe resorts have CL"s, some are better than others of course and everyone on here has their favorite. The price difference is around $100 a night higher than a regular room at the resort. With Disney prices what they are it doesn't take long to pay for itself with breakfast and drinks. Added benefit of having early morning (7 am) coffee and tea available with no lines and generally just a few steps from your room. All of the BWI rooms have balconies that can comfortably sit 2 people and having a boardwalk view room is always a perfect way to end an evening. As others have said make a list of what you want this vacation to be and then find the hotel that best fits that. My son and his girlfriend (both in mid twenties) spent a week at Disney last year and used Uber often with no complaints at all.

As far as tours go we really enjoyed the Epcot Destinations discovered tour that takes you around the world showcase with some behind the scene tours and lunch at The Rose and Crown included. You will also be put on a list to come back to Italy in a VIP location and watch the firework show over the lake in the evening. The Segway tour was also a lot of fun for a little change of pace.

Sounds like the Epcot hotels are leading the charge here.

I think I'm definitely going to go with the Club Level as well. Even just for the convenience of being able to grab something quickly on the way out each morning. I also like that its slightly more private. Boardwalk looks very nice and right up my alley, but so does Key West.

Then again, with the ubers and transportation, maybe I'll give in to my Wife and book the Club Level at the Floridian. I think there was only really one negative comment about the pretentiousness of the patrons.

Important Question, since I'm going to get to pick one Dinner wherever I want (she gets one and then we have to agree on the remaining).. Where is the BEST steak at DisneyWorld?

I'm definitely feeling the love for the Beach and Yacht Club, so I'm going to look into this. Can I ask why no one is recommending the Contemporary or Polynesian?

I'm a huge Contemporary fan (bought DVC at Bay Lake Tower), but recommended the Epcot location to you due to the sheer number of dining options close by. The Contemporary has 2 real restaurants, a tiny bar, and Chef Mickey's buffet (avoid) and a quick service joint.

The best part about the Contemporary is the location, if you're interested in spending a ton of time at Magic Kingdom. We usually end each night at MK, so we care about the location more than anything. People complain often that it's too sterile, but I actually enjoy it. I don't need Mickey in my face 24/7 and really just love the styling there.

We did an adults only trip for our 10 year last Feb and stayed at SSR and also liked being able to walk to Disney Springs.

I feel you on the Grand Floridian though. It's just not my thing. It feels too stuffy for me in there. I just don't care for it. Some people love it, but it's not for me. I'm almost 40 and still cringe when people call me Mr. <lastname>

Poly just doesn't do it for me personally. Great resort, just not interested in it.

If you're wife wants to stay at the Grand F though, go for it. She'll love it I'm sure, and you know how the happy wife happy life thing works I'm sure. I just feel out of place like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack there.

Sounds like the Epcot hotels are leading the charge here.

I think I'm definitely going to go with the Club Level as well. Even just for the convenience of being able to grab something quickly on the way out each morning. I also like that its slightly more private. Boardwalk looks very nice and right up my alley, but so does Key West.

Then again, with the ubers and transportation, maybe I'll give in to my Wife and book the Club Level at the Floridian. I think there was only really one negative comment about the pretentiousness of the patrons.

Important Question, since I'm going to get to pick one Dinner wherever I want (she gets one and then we have to agree on the remaining).. Where is the BEST steak at DisneyWorld?
Oh my you ask the easy questions, LOL! Best steak will have a lot of answers but here's mine. You said before that you don't want to have to get all dressed up so I kept that in mind.

The Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club hotel always does a good steak and we have never been disappointed here. My husband says out of all the steaks he's had around Disney he would have to go with California Grill with the Yacht Club a close second. Inside the parks Le Cellier located in the Canadian pavilion in Epcot also does a really nice steak.

I would also add that if you are interested in staying at the GF CL be aware that there are 2 different CL at the GF. The Royal Palm Club Level is the private three floors in the main building of the GF, We have stayed there numerous times since 1998 and the lounge area is very nice and exclusive feeling. The last time we stayed there a couple of years ago I was not as happy with our stay. Nothing I could really put my finger on but the cast members didn't seem as happy with their jobs and it didn't feel as relaxing as in the past.

The other GF CL is called The Sugerloaf club level and is located in an adjoining building with the lounge placed basically in the down stairs entrance way. It was not built to be a CL and it shows.

Well I haven’t stayed at either of these places yet, but may fit what you are looking for. They have a CL at Grand Destino Towers that sounds amazing and it’s a bit cheaper than the other EP area CL resorts. We really like Coronado Springs for an adult only trip.

I’m interested to see the studio in Riviera and the vibe of this place. It’s on the gondola line and you can walk to Caribbean Beach stuff from there. No CL here though.

We ❤️ the YC and especially the CL there. The GF RPC is also great, but we prefer to stay there for more of a Resort only trip because it’s so expensive. Another resort only favorite is AKL CL!

@skippytx

Great advice man. I'll be honest the contemporary is definitely the look of a place I'd stay in, that's probably what attracted me to it. I don't think my Wife really cares all that much where she's stays, she's mentioned the odd time that she wanted to stay at the GF when she was a kid. But we took a look at it last time we were there and it was kind of a 'that's it' type of moment. Listen, never a bad time to quote Caddyshack.

@Disneytam

You've been a fountain of information in this thread, thanks. I've heard of Yachtsman so that will probably be the winner for me. I'm a Canadian, so I try not to spend to much time at the Canadian Pavilion (we're really not like the way we're portrayed at Epcot). I swing by there when I want a nice taste of Canadian beer. Where was the one you recommended again? You were suggesting Boardwalk, I believe?

@cutigerlady

Thanks for the feedback. I don't HAVE to stay at CL, it's just more if the option is there I'll probably take it. I'm really looking for a place with a good vibe. Like I said I've heard VERY different opinions on the GF. I checked out Animal Kingdon on my previous trip, we loved the resort, but I felt like I was a little far away from everything.

Any of you fine folks who responded planning to be down there in Early/Mid August?

I realize I'm late to the party but I have a moment so I'll comment :-)

In terms of access I like the Epcot resorts Beach/Yacht/Boardwalk. From this location you would only need a bus for Animal Kingdom. But keep in mind to access the Monorail completely you would need park hopper tickets that will allow you to enter Epcot at anytime so that you can use the Monorail. The Skyliner gives you access to Hollywood Studios and in fact you can walk there on the path around the Boardwalk.

From a food perspective the Epcot area gives you the best array of dining options outside of Disney Springs (which you'd have to use the bus to get to). There's several very good restaurants on the Boardwalk in Flying Fish and Tratorria al Forna. Each of the resorts in this group have a couple of food choices that are pretty good. Yacht Club has the Ale & Compass (my wife and I like it....:P). The Beach Club as Cape May Cafe which as a nice character breakfast and an evening seafood buffet. There's also Beach's and Cream near the pool that offers reasonable dining fare. When you get to Epcot you have great access to World Showcase and the multitude of dining options it offers. Our personal favorites are Via Napoli, Chef's de France, and the Garden Grill.

While I've never stayed Club Level I wonder if it really is the deal some make it out to be. The price is considerable for access to beverages and finger foods. Some say you could use the food offering for your meals but that means you'll need to return to your resort for meals.......seems intrusive to me. If the other services offered balance that out.....for you.....Then it might be worth looking into.

You don't mention how you'd tour the parks (or if you'd tour 8-)). That could also be a consideration. What's your favorite park? Do you like to move from park to park in a single day? I'm curious if the parks take any role in your choices here?

Just based on your original post I'm with the Epcot area folks. What ever you choose have a wonderful time!!!

Doug :goofy:

@dkrauss

Great feedback. We'll have the Parkhopper+ passes. I'm excited for the HS and new star wars addition ;) also love Animal Kingdom.

@skippytx

Great advice man. I'll be honest the contemporary is definitely the look of a place I'd stay in, that's probably what attracted me to it. I don't think my Wife really cares all that much where she's stays, she's mentioned the odd time that she wanted to stay at the GF when she was a kid. But we took a look at it last time we were there and it was kind of a 'that's it' type of moment. Listen, never a bad time to quote Caddyshack.

@Disneytam

You've been a fountain of information in this thread, thanks. I've heard of Yachtsman so that will probably be the winner for me. I'm a Canadian, so I try not to spend to much time at the Canadian Pavilion (we're really not like the way we're portrayed at Epcot). I swing by there when I want a nice taste of Canadian beer. Where was the one you recommended again? You were suggesting Boardwalk, I believe?

@cutigerlady

Thanks for the feedback. I don't HAVE to stay at CL, it's just more if the option is there I'll probably take it. I'm really looking for a place with a good vibe. Like I said I've heard VERY different opinions on the GF. I checked out Animal Kingdon on my previous trip, we loved the resort, but I felt like I was a little far away from everything.
Yes we are big fans of the BWI especially their CL. The boardwalk basically has two different views, Garden view and water view which of course also looks over the boardwalk. The CL views are by request only though. With the exception of their deluxe rooms as they all look over the lake towards the YC/BC. These rooms have the regular 2 queen beds and they also have a living room area with a couch, chair and tv. We actually enjoyed these rooms as it gives you some room to stretch out a bit and you have a place to sit that's not on a bed. Half of these rooms are on the same floor as the lounge and the other half are one floor down on the third floor. The deluxe rooms on the third floor also have much larger balconies. As I have said before we spend a lot of time in the evenings people watching from the balcony with drinks from the lounge.

Any questions just ask away. We would have loved to have all the info from these boards back when we first started going to Disney. It's crazy how much info. you can get off these boards.

Hey, once again thanks everyone for the replies.

To answer a few things, I really don't mind how many 'conflicting' opinions I get. I value the opinions of people who know the place well.

We won't be taking the car to any of the Disney Parks. I really only need the car for the previous part of the trip, I don't want to return it because I don't want to be without one in case we decide to go off property. We'll likely go shopping, elsewhere at least one of the days.

We'll definitely get the park hopper + pass. The one that allows you to come and go as you want and we'll have it for the whole time that we're there. The last time we basically crammed 4 parks into 5 days, and I left a little sore ;). I have no idea how people do it with kids.... So we'll do the parks over 6 or 7 days to spread things out a little bit.

I'm definitely feeling the love for the Beach and Yacht Club, so I'm going to look into this. Can I ask why no one is recommending the Contemporary or Polynesian?
I like the Beach Club, but my pick would be the Polynesian. I love being on the monorail loop. Plenty of nice restaurants to pick from that’s a monorail ride away.
Really easy getting to Magic Kingdom by monorail or boat.
Having the pool right on the beach is one of my favorite things there. You can watch the fireworks or electric parade from the beach. The Polynesian and Grand Floridian are my favorites.

My friend and I just stayed at Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower. No kids in our party. Just a girl's trip! It was very nice. We had a water view, could see fireworks out our window, and it was quiet. Plus there are a ton of bars around the property. I would for sure stay there again.

Wilderness Lodge is my absolute favourite place.
The theming and environment is wonderful. It's an easy boat hop to MK / CR (where you can pick up the monorail)
But for an adult trip, if you are planning more time in Epcot and HS then Beach / Yacht / Boardwalk has a lot of flexibility. Can walk to both parks, and there is a lot to see and do on the boardwalk too.

I recommend Beach Club or Yacht Club. My family loves these two resorts the best. We go for whichever is least expensive for the trip we are planning, but ideally, with my kids I prefer Beach and without them, my husband and I prefer Yacht. You can walk to Epcot or HS (also a boat), and you can enjoy the boardwalk as well. We always get park hopper passes, so we often pop into Epcot to enjoy different dining options. You can't go wrong with either of these resorts, and the location can't be beat.

I recommend Beach Club or Yacht Club. My family loves these two resorts the best. We go for whichever is least expensive for the trip we are planning, but ideally, with my kids I prefer Beach and without them, my husband and I prefer Yacht. You can walk to Epcot or HS (also a boat), and you can enjoy the boardwalk as well. We always get park hopper passes, so we often pop into Epcot to enjoy different dining options. You can't go wrong with either of these resorts, and the location can't be beat.
We are dining at Cape May on our next trip. We've been there once but didn't really explore the area. How long/far is the walk from Cape May to the Boardwalk? On the Disney map it doesn't look far but would like to know from someone who may have walked it themselves.....thanks!

We are dining at Cape May on our next trip. We've been there once but didn't really explore the area. How long/far is the walk from Cape May to the Boardwalk? On the Disney map it doesn't look far but would like to know from someone who may have walked it themselves.....thanks!
depends on how fast you walk - for us, 5-6 minutes. It is right across the lake (which isn't big), you can see it as soon as you exit BC. We generally walk all the way to HS when we stay at BC or YC - it is often faster than the boats (about a mile total).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter