Which Days In January?

JessiMommy

DIS Veteran
OK we are definitely going to Disney in January, I just can't decide when. Our trip will be 4-5 days long and will fall over a weekend. I'm looking for the least crowded time in January... (I know it's never crowded in January but...) The first weekend is out because it's too close to the holidays. I know MLK weekend is the worst time for that month. What about the Marathon weekend? Will I see that much of a difference in crowds? And what about the last two weekends in January? Is it just as dead as the rest of the month or do you think it starts to pick up any? So what are your opinions on the best 4-5 day span in January? TIA!::MickeyMo

The last two years we have gone the last week in January from Wednesday to Saturday. Both times there were no crowds, walked right on to every ride/attraction. The weather was gorgeous- highs in the low 80's, lows in the 60's. This is our favorite time to go, and we will do it again in 2004, but one week earlier as our passes will be expiring.:)

I had the same question as you!! I did the research and we will be arriving the Friday before the Marathon:rotfl: from what I've read on these boards it really doesn't have much of an impact on the crowds! (plus you can help cheer them on!) I know there is a cheerleading event going on sometime too.. it might be in February (not sure) I think anytime w/ the exception of MLK weekend would be great!!

Kermit

The week right after New Year's is supposed to be one of the slowest of the entire year. You'll see a little bump around the long MLK weekend, but the marathon doesn't cause crowds to rise appreciably.

I would suggest a little research on the competitions at Wide World of Sports. January and February are prime times for bother cheerleading and dance troop competitions. Both events can cause rises in attendance, mostly on the Friday and Monday that bookend the competition weekend. You also may want to re-think a stay at an all-star resort during any competion period.

We were at WDW last January on a Sunday through Friday (afternoon). There were no events during our arrival weekend, and crowds were very low the entire time. The weekend of our departure did have an event at WWoS, and it was VERY easy to spot the large groups of girls making their way through the Magic Kingdom on Friday. Attendance was noticably up compared to the rest of the week.

Prior to our trip, I actually found a web site that listed national cheerleading and dance competitions. So I knew in advance that nothing was going on the weekend of our arrival. Don't remember the site, but an Internet search would probably turn up something. Or, a call to WWoS might provide the same info.

January is a very good month for touring the parks, as long as you are prepared for the weather. You can get some very beautiful, sunny days with 70 degree temps. But there will also be days in January where the high doesn't get out of the 50s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter