• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which Disney property hotel is best?

Perhaps you can share a room with your mom at the GCH. That would cut the cost to one room instead of two. Plus, this way, you could keep an eye on your mom to make sure she is okay.

I would not suggest trying to put 3 adults and 2 kids in the GCH room unless you can guarantee the day bed room. Even then, the rooms are quite small. My preference is the DLH. If you can't swing the GCH or DLH, we like the Fairfield Inn, and Carousel Inn. Rent the scooter offsite (we like Deckerts) and use it to get to the park. The distance is not that big. If you get a room in the Grand in certain halls, you can be just as far as some of the Harbor motels.

GCH looks great and is lovely, but unless I am staying on the top floor with the endless buffet and snacks room, the convenience is the only reason I would book it and even then I probably prefer DLH. I thought I was in a minority, but most guests I talk to who have experienced both actually prefer DLH. I usually hear service is much better at DLH.

I'm glad to hear your mother-in-law is doing well now...gives me hope :)

Thank you for the suggestion! That is good to know because it looked pretty spread out and I was worried about that! I am going to call tomorrow and see what they have available for our dates :)
If you or your hubby belong to a union, or work for a big company, you might want to check with HR to see if they can get a discount on tickets and/or hotel room too. Good luck to you. I hope you can get a good rate to stay at the GCH. It is in a great location to everything.

Thanks for the suggestion! Even with my husband's discount through his job the Disney hotels ended up being more than we wanted to spend right now but we found what looks like a good one on Harbor street :)

You can look online and get an idea of what they'll say when you call in the morning.

If the GCH is a challenge for the budget don't be afraid to stay on Harbor.
Scooter rentals in the area have free delivery/pick-up of their scooters.
The scooter will be nice going to and from the parks whether you're on-site or off.

Here's a map that you can check distances using the pointer. If you do stay on Harbor it will give you an idea of where places are located.
http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=3...&m=h&gz=0;-1179189741;338091968;0;0;37549;665

This link will give you an idea of various places in the DLR area. Keep in mind IT'S an old thread
http://www.disboards.com/threads/walking-distance-hotel-list-w-discussion-details-of-hotels.2796786/

We usually take a taxi to/from the airport. Having a car isn't necessary for us once we are there.
The only time we have had a rental car is if we plan to side trip from DLR.

Good luck in your planning. The first week of March is too far away.

Geemo

Thank you so much! The maps you sent ultimately helped us make our decision!

GCH looks great and is lovely, but unless I am staying on the top floor with the endless buffet and snacks room, the convenience is the only reason I would book it and even then I probably prefer DLH. I thought I was in a minority, but most guests I talk to who have experienced both actually prefer DLH. I usually hear service is much better at DLH.

DGC looks like a beautiful hotel but we have two children and a baby on the way so just couldn't justify the cost right now. I stayed at the DLH when I was a little girl and that was the last time my mother took a vacation so it would have been nostalgic but I think we found a lovely property very close to the parks and think it should be comfortable for her there :)

If you subscribe to orbitz you might have an email that allows you a % off at Grand Californian. They usually have the DL rates, plus 15% off or so (with a code). If you can swing it GC is literally attached to the California Adventure. The convenience is unbeatable!

Thank you for the tip! I will definitely keep that in mind for future trips :)

Thank you so much to everyone for being so helpful and for your great advice and suggestions. After checking the prices, even with the discount through my husband's work the Disney hotels are more than we have decided we want to spend but we looked into some of the properties on Harbor and ultimately decided to book the Fairfield Inn by Marriott. They have everything we were looking for and at a great price. I appreciate the help and am looking forward to spending some time with my mom and making memories. You all are the best! :)

Last edited:
I think you will be surprised when you arrive at how close the hotels on Harbour are to Disneyland. I know I was. I hope you have a fantastic visit.

I would not suggest trying to put 3 adults and 2 kids in the GCH room unless you can guarantee the day bed room. Even then, the rooms are quite small. My preference is the DLH. If you can't swing the GCH or DLH, we like the Fairfield Inn, and Carousel Inn. Rent the scooter offsite (we like Deckerts) and use it to get to the park. The distance is not that big. If you get a room in the Grand in certain halls, you can be just as far as some of the Harbor motels.
Thank you! We ultimately decided to book the Fairfield Inn by Marriott! I think it will be a good fit for us all. :)

Thank you so much! The maps you sent ultimately helped us make our decision!
I'm glad the maps were helpful.
My grandkids like to stay on Harbor. They say it's closer than the DLH and PPH. If they had their choice it would be the GCH like everyone else.
But my budget is always a factor, I may have as many as 5 joining me. The costs for all of us adds up fast, with airfare, park tickets and food.
Enjoy your trip.

Geemo

ok, gotta throw my 2 cents in, first time ever going to disneyland was in july (i have been to wdw at least twice year since 1976 so this was a treat), took my grandson and stayed in the paradise pier , it was good, loved the light colored furnishings, and grandson used the rooftop pool and hot tub every day, went back in november solo and wanted to stay in the other 2 on property resorts, the disneyland hotel, had the dark wood in it which i did not care for personal preference, but it had a outdoor fireplace which was nice when the sun started going down and it got windy, the headboards in disneyland hotel light up and play a dream is a wish your heart makes, and you go out the front door and across the little bridge and you are at the monorail station in downtown disney , really the best resort if your gonna spend most time in disneyland resort, also earl of sandwich and rainforest restaurant down that end closest to disneyland resort, so the next day i got up and moved over to the californian resort , which is nice if you plan on spending alot of time in california disney , which i did not, they had the best anemities and turn down service everynight with choclates on your pillow, you are closer to world of disney store and they had more expensive restaurants in their, but depending on what your preference and budget is anyone of them is acceptable, disneyland and paradise pier are next door to each other and california disney is across the street from both of them but closer to pp, when i transferred hotels from dl to california disney i walked my luggage across the street , its all closer than it looks on the map

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter