WHICH DVD Camcorder??

yippeeDCL

Mouseketeer
I'm wanting a VERY compact camcorder. I am rather "petite" and have trouble handeling 2 kids, bags and camcorder. I would like something simple, compact without compromising quality.....not asking for much,, huh?

You guys are the experts....whatcha think?

Thanks!

I don't have alot of experiance with camcorders myself but from the profecional videoagraphers I deal with threw my work they all say that the Mini-DV camcorders are better then the mini dvd camcorders. I know that if you don't remember to finalize the mini dvd in the camcorder you won't be able to view it anywhere. Hopefully someone on here will have hands on expericance with them though.

compact without compromising quality

Unfortunately it's an oxymoron. The smaller it is, the smaller the CCD is going to be, the worse quality it's going to have. Making it worse, no DVD camcorder have the same quality as a mid-end miniDV camcorder.

If you HAVE to go with DVD, then the Sony model HC-90 is for you. If you can go with miniDV, then the Sony model 403 is for you. Everything else is a compromise.

If you have the budget, however, go with Sony HDV (High Definition on miniDV), then it is really no compromise in quality.

PS: If you want to buy other than those camcorders I mentioned above, make sure that the microphone is IN FRONT of the camera and NOT brushing with your fingers when you're holding the camcorder. There are too many camcorders with microphone closer to the back of the camera and/or having the risk of brushing with your fingers while recording resulting in bad audio recording. (imagine hearing scraping sound or getting ambient noise instead of your kid's singing)

Kelly Grannell said:
Unfortunately it's an oxymoron. The smaller it is, the smaller the CCD is going to be, the worse quality it's going to have. Making it worse, no DVD camcorder have the same quality as a mid-end miniDV camcorder.

If you HAVE to go with DVD, then the Sony model HC-90 is for you. If you can go with miniDV, then the Sony model 403 is for you. Everything else is a compromise.

If you have the budget, however, go with Sony HDV (High Definition on miniDV), then it is really no compromise in quality.

Just wondering if you made a mistake, I have a sony 403 and it is a mini DVD?

My mistake, I got it reversed. The miniDV is HC-90 and the DVD is the 403.

These models are going to be replaced (already are, at some locations) with DCR-HC96 (miniDV) and DCR-DVD405 (DVD). The high definition model number remains the same (HDR-HC1)

Mini DV is the way to go it's smaller and lighter I have the Sony DCR-HC19E and it is easy to use and easy to convert onto a DVD but don't use the software that Sony provides use Studio 9 from Pinnacle you can create menus and really customise your DVD's.

Oh, btw, forgot to make it clearer.

Most camcorders come with only 1/6" CCD sensors. Those Sonys I mentioned come it 1/3" CCD sensors. The fact that they have 4x the surface area means taking pictures/videos in darker lighting more of a breeze. (much less digital grain)

I use a Canon Elura 90, which is mini-DV. I read an article stating that the mini-DVD format compresses the video by copying the first frame in it's entirety and and then only copying the difference. This makes editing the video difficult if not impossible. I do not know how true this is, but I am satisfied with results that my camera produces.

That may be true, but what other option do we have? miniDV and D8 both using Motion-JPEG compression. DVD using MPEG2 compression worse than miniDV. That's the problem with interlaced video, there camera captures half a field/frame. The only way to go a full-frame is by going DV (not miniDV) but the camera easily cost about US$3K plus the camera weighs a ton. :(

I just thought I would put in a good word for Mini DVD. I have a sony 403 DVD and I enjoy it a lot for the type and amount of recording I do. For someone with out a DVD burner (like me) its a good way to go.The bigger sensor and afore mentioned good low light recording ability was a selling point for me(fantasmic, illuminations). I like the touch screen feature as well as the capability to jump right to a scene using the thumbnails on the touch screen. Size and weight was not an issue at all, infact I find that there is a point when things just gets too small to easily operate like cell phones.
There are I will admit some draw backs, At the highest pic quality setting, it only records 30 min but I find the long recording setting is good. Although I bought it knowing that I wont do much editing if any, It is possible to edit on the camera which brings me to the other drawback. I wish they could make one rewritable disk that does everything as opposed to the two types.

I'm not saying its the best, but it has advantages worth considering.

What two types of DVD RW? You mean DVD+RW and DVD-RW? If so, then just use the "-" variety. The "-" consortium is the only format recognized by the DVD Forum (the forum that originally sets DVD standard).

Just make sure when you record, choose DVD-Video mode instead of DVD-VR mode. VR mode is less compatible than the DVD-Video mode.

Thanks sooo much for the advice...your knowledge and experience is AMAZING!!

By the way, I do have a burner so, that would not be a factor for me. I've made a list of the recommendations...can't wait to go by Wolf to see them in person.

Thanks again...I would have been totally lost without you guys! :wave2:

Hmmm - can you explain to me the 1/6" CCD vs 1/3" CCD thing to me..... in novice terms? What is that my Sony DCR-HC21 is lacking? Just wanting to educate myself a bit.
2363825_s.gif

I purchased this camera last year for the main purpose at that time to video my DDs horse shows. Being a single mom, I never had enough hands for a video camera and a still camera, I was much more partial to photos - still am. Being here in the Orlando area though, there are so many things that lend themselves to be recorded.... I really like this little camera - this size is awesome, not cumbersome at all, and for my purposes it has take great videos. My DD is eight, and she enjoys "making movies" too. She did a great job of recording the MK parade the other week - she had a great upfront on the ground spot to sit, with no people standing in her way!

I do need to look into other editing software, I don't care for what came with the camera. I have not done too much with the footage I have taken since last May, other then download it! I have great hopes of doing something creative with videos of parades, fireworks, and Sea World shows, as well as horse shows!!!

It's the size of CCD. 1/3" CCD have 4x surface area than the 1/6" counterpart yielding higher resolution, better colour rendition, and most of all, better low-light performance.

DVD-403 vs DCR-HC96

Sorry to ask soo many ??? :rolleyes2
I really like the Sony 403 but have not found the HC96 in stock locally (I can preorder). However, can you explain the differences to me? :confused3 I really have not found a BIG difference in price. Is the 403 worth waiting for?

THANKS AGAIN!

403 is a DVD recorder, HC96 is a miniDV recorder. Although I love the convenience of a DVD, I still prefer the less-compressed miniDV picture. Especially because I tend to watch my recordings on a 46" TV from 7' away (as per THX standard)

In terms of hardware specs, they are both virtually the same. Again, the difference is mainly in the format the video is being recorded onto.

One more thing. The 403 have now been replaced with 405. Also the 405 is $100 CHEAPER than the 403, at least in Canada.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter