Which moderate?

With a 13 year old = CSR. From the time my kids hit teens it was their favorite resort. Pool area alone is more grownup with a long adult sized slide. Yes, lots of dining options which I think is a real plus. We don't think it is a bad walk, a much smaller footprint than CBR, from standard. Our favorite is Rancho as it is highly themed and feels very resort like. It really depends on how much time you will spend at resort and pool, if a lot I think it's a great pick.

CBR gives you the Skyliner and options that come with it - more dining. A good middle of the line choice for a 13 year old. Room location can be hit or miss. If you do stay be sure to eat at Sebastians. What a under the radar gem. I found the new lobby main area to be more upscale than I expected.

POFQ would be a def no from me for a teenager. The pool is completely for young kids. My kids even under 10 years old called it a "baby pool". I consider it the value of moderates since it is lacking on amenities of a moderate but still moderate prices.
The pool at CSR did look fun! I heard reports of not a lot of shade. Was that your experience with the pool there? I probably wouldn’t do the tower as at that price point I may as well just stay At AKL or WL as it’s pretty close (if discounts are offered).

CBR Preferred room. Skyliner can’t be beat and with a preferred room it won’t seem so spread out
Honestly when I looked at CBR it almost seemed like standard just across the bridge might be better. Closer to skyliner and just over bridge from pool. Of course who knows which building we would end up in for sure though…. The preferred rooms looked further from the skyliner.

Honestly when I looked at CBR it almost seemed like standard just across the bridge might be better. Closer to skyliner and just over bridge from pool. Of course who knows which building we would end up in for sure though…. The preferred rooms looked further from the skyliner.
Our favorite locations at CBR are Jamaica 45 and Aruba 51. Some rooms in those buildings are actually closer to the Main Pool, Food Court, lobby, etc than some of the Preferred rooms in Martinique. Plus much closer to both Skyliner Stations. CBR is our favorite Mod by far. We felt that way even before the Skyliner. In our opinion Preferred would be a waste of $$.

The pool at CSR did look fun! I heard reports of not a lot of shade. Was that your experience with the pool there? I probably wouldn’t do the tower as at that price point I may as well just stay At AKL or WL as it’s pretty close (if discounts are offered).
I don't do sun and I've never had a problem. Most pictures don't show to right if you are looking at pyramid but several rows of loungers that way and even some as you enter. Foliage is there especially along back and some umbrellas. Best bet is move to back of pool deck areas, not be up front ... and with 13 year old that should work.

Of the three you mentioned CSR actually has the most shade.

I don't do sun and I've never had a problem. Most pictures don't show to right if you are looking at pyramid but several rows of loungers that way and even some as you enter. Foliage is there especially along back and some umbrellas. Best bet is move to back of pool deck areas, not be up front ... and with 13 year old that should work.

Of the three you mentioned CSR actually has the most shade.
I’ll need to check out some pics of all the pools and shade!

We just returned from a stay at CBR on Monday. Now it was just my daughter (adult 27) and myself (54), but we loved it. We are DVC but I have a bucket list goal of staying @ every resort on property (I need help lol).

I didn't think CBR would be my vibe at all but everything was wonderful! We have done POR (Riverside) before and it was lovely too. But for a teenager I would totally choose CBR.

The skyliner cannot be beat. There are so many food options between CBR and Riviera.

The rooms were nice and refreshed. Two sinks and the barn like doors on the bathroom. The air conditioner unit seemed fine and I liked having a fan in the room.

We did luck out in our building as we got Jamaica 45 (I didn't make a request for my first stay ever...go figure).

The only negative might be the size but it didn't bother us at all....Yes it is spread out (DD is a runner so this was actually a positive as the jogging path is probably best on property). We did the loop including Trinidad every am and some afternoon's for fun. It is so pretty and relaxing.

The Caribbean Cay (little island by Old Port area) has little seating areas that we sat in for over an hour reading and just taking it all in.

Overall it just seemed like a vacation within a vacation.

Pick a theme you think you would like and then just go for it. You cannot go wrong.

Out of your options I only stayed at CSR (twice), and I would definitely return. The rooms are big and very modern. We had a car so it didn't matter to us where we were situated, but we ended up just off one of the bridge ends, so getting to the pool and main hub was not a chore, we loved walking over the water. The pool is big, but we enjoy the quiet pools in the afternoon as the pool activities are not for us (loud music, games etc). Next year we're trying POR because there are about 6 pools to choose from for some peace and quiet after the busy parks.

Last edited:
Given your criteria, I would stay at CBR. Our family loves POFQ but for a young teen, that pool will feel very juvenile. We are actually booked for our first split stay in Jan 2025 with 5 days CBR and 5 days BC. We have requested "connecting rooms, near Riviera" as we don't really care about a pool in Jan....and there is always the village pool for a quick swim if needed. Our priority is close to skyliner and dining. We also plan to use the Riv bus sometimes instead of the CBR bus.

CBR will give you such easy access to EP and DHS. If MK and AK buses are frustrating, your plan to Uber is perfect.

I would book a preferred room and put in a request for Barbados. This puts you close to the main pool, OPR dining, and a decent walk to the skyliner. If you end up in Martinique, you can just walk to the Riv skyliner and it puts you close to the food at both OPR and Riv.

Given your criteria, I would stay at CBR. Our family loves POFQ but for a young teen, that pool will feel very juvenile. We are actually booked for our first split stay in Jan 2025 with 5 days CBR and 5 days BC. We have requested "connecting rooms, near Riviera" as we don't really care about a pool in Jan....and there is always the village pool for a quick swim if needed. Our priority is close to skyliner and dining. We also plan to use the Riv bus sometimes instead of the CBR bus.

CBR will give you such easy access to EP and DHS. If MK and AK buses are frustrating, your plan to Uber is perfect.

I would book a preferred room and put in a request for Barbados. This puts you close to the main pool, OPR dining, and a decent walk to the skyliner. If you end up in Martinique, you can just walk to the Riv skyliner and it puts you close to the food at both OPR and Riv.
Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking standard sounded better as then even closer to skyliner and just over the bridge to the main pool and dining. How far was the walk to the riviera bus stop? It looked like it was on the other side of their resort, so further than the skyliner. That might be a good option when going to MK.

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking standard sounded better as then even closer to skyliner and just over the bridge to the main pool and dining. How far was the walk to the riviera bus stop? It looked like it was on the other side of their resort, so further than the skyliner. That might be a good option when going to MK.

I don't know how long the walk is, but when I stayed at Riv, I appreciated that it's a one resort bus, no sharing with other resorts. One of these days we'll actually stay at CBR, we've had 2 or 3 stays booked there that get moved for one reason or another.

Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking standard sounded better as then even closer to skyliner and just over the bridge to the main pool and dining.
In our opinion it is better. We felt that way even before the Skyliner, but now even more so.
How far was the walk to the riviera bus stop? It looked like it was on the other side of their resort, so further than the skyliner. That might be a good option when going to MK.
No matter where our room is walking to the Riviera bus stop would not make any sense, much more walking and would take longer overall. In the mornings they send 2 buses for MK one for Jamaica and Aruba and one for the rest of the resort.

Sorry, no opinion since we haven’t stayed at a moderate resort yet, but I’ve always wanted to try POFQ. It’s really the only moderate that’s ever been on my wish list.

We usually stay at either POR or POFQ and walk between the two to share pools, food, etc. if needed. However, if saving money is top priority, I can usually find a standard CSR room for less and I would not hesitate to stay there.

Sorry--haven't stayed there yet to know the walking distance. I figured if we are eating breakfast or lunch at Riv, we would just hop on that bus to the parks. Also, if we are at MK or AK and the Riv bus comes first, we would hop on it to go back to the resort. It's just nice to have that option.

Haven’t done PO, and it seems like it has its group of loyal followers. The theme is neat, and I think the pools at both would be fine at both resorts.

We really enjoyed Coronado. The vibe and the grounds were very pretty. Good food as well.

Downside is transportation at both of the previous resorts. For us, part of the bubble and magic is using the Disney transportation. If I’m having to schedule the transportation or drive somewhere, it ruins a big part of the trip for me.

Maybe silly, but just how we feel. So we always just use busses. Therefore, CBR would be our choice given half the parks it’s way more convenient. The downsides you listed do exist.

Haven’t done PO, and it seems like it has its group of loyal followers. The theme is neat, and I think the pools at both would be fine at both resorts.

We really enjoyed Coronado. The vibe and the grounds were very pretty. Good food as well.

Downside is transportation at both of the previous resorts. For us, part of the bubble and magic is using the Disney transportation. If I’m having to schedule the transportation or drive somewhere, it ruins a big part of the trip for me.

Maybe silly, but just how we feel. So we always just use busses. Therefore, CBR would be our choice given half the parks it’s way more convenient. The downsides you listed do exist.
Good thoughts. I honestly don’t mind the busses usually and we normally don’t rent a car. If anything we will Uber since our son is old enough we don’t have to worry about car seats. We normally stay by MK or EP so only have to bus to some parks anyway. That’s also why I was leaning towards CBR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter