Which Resort for a Parent Visiting a CM?

Margie Rose

Earning My Ears
Hi! My daughter will be working/studying at Disneyworld for 6 months (July - December) as part of the Academic Exchange Program (we're Canadian). We would like to visit her, but not necessarily be in the parks (maybe MK for one day). I would love to spend days with a book and a drink outdoors rather than touring around. Any recommendations for a quiet resort that would fit the bill, and also be easy for our daughter to get to and from work easily? She'll be working as a Character Attendant, and likely be in and out of all 4 parks. Oh, and if you could recommend a time between Labour Day and the American Thanksgiving that would also help. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Margie

Hi, look in to Port Orleans French Quarter. It is smaller than Disney's other hotels and very quiet. It has beautiful scenery with magnolia's and Spanish moss. It reminds me of home. You can take the ferry to Disney springs, which is enjoyable. The food is also good there. Plus, it is also walking distance to Port Orleans Riverside which is a lot bigger, but you could make reservations at their restaurant one night and walk over. I don't know when schools start in Canada but school starts in August here in the states and we were thinking of even going sometime in September for cheaper rates and hopefully not big crowds.

Normally, I recommend right after Labor Day - because it's typically pretty quiet with US kids getting back to school BUT this year with Galaxy Edge opening it's anyone's guess as to what the crowds will be like. Your not planning park time as HS from what it sounds like but it can have an impact on the resort.

I'd still recommend some time in September though because October gets really busy now. Or even the 1st week in November should be better than October.

French Quarter is a beautiful resort and it's one of the smaller ( if not smallest ) of the Disney resorts. Another one I'd look into is Old Key West. The location is good and it's very laid back. The benefit to OKW over FQ is Olivia's ( a table service restaurant ).

If resources aren't an issue, I'd suggest the Poly bungalows. Not completely quiet with the boats going by but easy to visit for your daughter and only the greatest location of all time. :) If not, then POFQ as others have said. Beautiful resort.

Last edited:
Old Key West has nice studios with two queen sized beds and a kitchenette. Plus the porch attached to the studio is small, but nice for sitting and either watching the golfers go by or looking at the flora at the resort. Saratoga Springs also has nice studios with golf course views or even Disney Springs views. They have one queen bed and one double sleeper sofa (and a kitchenette). The grounds at both resorts are rather nice for walking around.

Plus, you can walk or boat to Disney Springs from SSR or boat or bus from OKW.

Last edited:
Will she get a CM discount? When my son was on the College Program he got 50% off rooms. This might may one of the deluxe resorts attractive! The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful, or if you want something you can't get anywhere else but Disney, try the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Of the two, I would lean towards WL. You can take the boat to Fort Wildnerness, or the Contemporary. From the Contemporary, you are a short monorail ride to the Poly or Grand Floridian. Either way, you'll love seeing your daughter and spending time with her!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. We have stayed at both POR and AKL before, but POFQ sounds like it's smaller and perhaps better for my current mobility issue. OKW is one that I hadn't considered before, so I will take a look at that option as well!
Margie

Will she get a CM discount? When my son was on the College Program he got 50% off rooms. This might may one of the deluxe resorts attractive! The Wilderness Lodge is beautiful, or if you want something you can't get anywhere else but Disney, try the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Of the two, I would lean towards WL. You can take the boat to Fort Wildnerness, or the Contemporary. From the Contemporary, you are a short monorail ride to the Poly or Grand Floridian. Either way, you'll love seeing your daughter and spending time with her!

Pediatri, I know that my daughter will have access to discounted rooms, but not until she actually arrives and has access to the "HUB". I thought I'd take my chances booking something ahead of time and hoping that whatever we choose will fall under the possible discounts that she may have access to. I have never seen Wilderness Lodge, but I'm intrigued. I'm just wondering if riding the boat might add an extra step for my daughter to get to us? If she is assigned to MK, it would be an easy ride over, but if she's working at, for example, AKL, the entire journey would take forever!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Margie

If you do pick September go after Labor Day weekend. By that time all U.S. schools will be back in session. While many parts if the country go back in August, in many areas in the Northeast ( including NYC) it is usually right after Labor day. In fact there was an uproar last year when Philadelphia PA schools went back the week before. They are going back to after next year.
Another vote for POFQ . The easy boat access to DS is a huge plus.

Last edited:
POFQ - if you aren’t interested in the parks, you probably would want easy access to DS and the meal options there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter