• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which ruins?

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
I'm finally doing a Western (though on the Celebrity Edge!!!!!) in Feb 2019! I have OBC from my booking that I can use ahead of time, so I'm already booking my shore excursions.

Because DCL goes to Cozumel and I like my DCL peeps, I figured I would ask about ruins here. :)

I am torn with Cozumel between Tulum, Chichen Itza, and San Gervasio. Any thoughts on any of those? Any preferences? (I don't get seasick, so a ferry ride doesn't bother me.

Thanks!

I've not been to any of the three (and likewise cannot comment on the excursion experience for each); however, from the perspective purely of interest in Mexican history and Mayan culture, if I had to choose one, it would be Chichen Itza.

I've been to Tulum and Chichen Itza and for a cruise excursion would recommend Tulum. Chichen Itza is amazing but it's a long way from port. We were staying at a resort in Riviera Maya when we went (very close to the Cozumel ferry) and our excursion ended up being an almost 3 hour drive each way (counting stops) to Chichen Itza and we were only there for about an hour in brutally hot weather. They pyramid is amazing but after climbing it we didn't really have time to do much else. Tulum is on the beach, gorgeous and was a much better excursion to us.

I agree with Oakley Cat.

It is a HAUL to Chichen Itza. It is AMAZING. Really truly spectacular. However, its hotter than Tulum and you're going to have a LOT of time in transit.
If you are going to go, though, February is really the best time.

See if you can do the analysis of transit time vs. touring time.
The light show at night was a great opportunity to learn about the Mayan people, but I suspect that won't work with your excursion.

We also loved Coba, by the way, if you are doing a land-based vacation.
The great thing about Coba was that the ruins weren't fully excavated, so you could really understand how these giant pyramids just get "lost" in the jungle.

I'm finally doing a Western (though on the Celebrity Edge!!!!!) in Feb 2019! I have OBC from my booking that I can use ahead of time, so I'm already booking my shore excursions.

Because DCL goes to Cozumel and I like my DCL peeps, I figured I would ask about ruins here. :)

I am torn with Cozumel between Tulum, Chichen Itza, and San Gervasio. Any thoughts on any of those? Any preferences? (I don't get seasick, so a ferry ride doesn't bother me.

Thanks!
I have been to Chichen Itza and Tulum and they are both amazing. However, I would not do excursions to those ruins on a cruise. They are too far away from Cozumel and I would think the excursion would be very rushed. I visited both ruins while on a land vacation to Mexico. I am not familiar with San Gervasio.

MUN

PS, I just noticed a PP comment on how hot Chichen Itza is. I can second that! We visited around Christmas and it was very hot. When we went to Tulum, it was late April. When we were by the water it was fine, but it was miserable when we were away from the water. Yikes, it was hot!

The time is my biggest question. The Edge looks like she is going to be incredible with so much to explore. In doing a little poking around on the web, it looks like San Gervasio is on the island Cozumel is on but is not as widely visited. Plus that excursion is only like 4.5 hours...

I may book that one when I get home.

I am happy we went to Tulum. We went one December and the weather was perfect, the ferry crossing was rock and roll!! One way, going back it was calm.

I have been to Tulum 3 times and San Gervasio once while staying on Cozumel over 20 years ago. There is a lot to see at the Tulum ruins and the setting is gorgeous, but of course it will take a lot longer to get to than the ruins at the center of Cozumel. San Gervasio was much smaller, I remember two structures. If I recall correctly, the site was devoted to fertility.

Yeah it tends to be a balancing act with time and money. Is your cruise going to Costa Maya?, because the Chacchoben ruins there are pretty short travel. If i remember correctly it waa only about an hour drive and maybe 4 hour excursion.

Tulum is a nice view near the ocean etc. really i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Yeah it tends to be a balancing act with time and money. Is your cruise going to Costa Maya?, because the Chacchoben ruins there are pretty short travel. If i remember correctly it waa only about an hour drive and maybe 4 hour excursion.

Tulum is a nice view near the ocean etc. really i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

We are going to Costa Maya, but I have already reserved a spot at Maya Chan for a chilled-out beach day there.

I've been to Tulum and Chichen Itza. While Chichen Itza is amazing in sheer scale, we really liked Tulum due to the setting. But the drive to Chichen Itza - loooong. I would choose Tulum for convenience and beauty.

We are going to Costa Maya, but I have already reserved a spot at Maya Chan for a chilled-out beach day there.

Nice! Haven't been to that one. But going back to Costa Maya next year. The people were really friendly there, so i'm sure you will have a good time and some good food and drinks.

Nice! Haven't been to that one. But going back to Costa Maya next year. The people were really friendly there, so i'm sure you will have a good time and some good food and drinks.

Thanks! It has really good reviews, and I love that they limit the numbers to like 60 people - each group gets its own palapa which is awesome. AND that it includes your taxi ride to and from. I'll make sure to review it! :)

Here's another vote for Tulum if you're traveling from Cozumel. Chichen Itza really is amazing, but the transportation there from Cozumel takes so much time. Not only is Tulum gorgeous, but the beach is nice there too, make sure and take a swimsuit.

If you haven't been to any ruins and would possibly end up taking another trip someday, I'd start with San Gervasio. It is pretty small, but a good way to start with Maya ruins without the long travel time. I really wanted to see the other two because I teach Maya history, but I didn't want the long journey with so little time there. San Gervasio was interesting and I felt like a good place to start. I think the other would be better on a land based trip as others have suggested. Our guide at San Gervasio (Cesar) was phenomenal! He is Maya and his father helped excavate, preserve, and protect San Gervasio. I think San Gervasio would probably be a bit disappointing though if you had already been to Tulum or Chichen Itza.

I have only visited San Gervasio, so I can't compare, only say that I thought it was a good excursion. I was worried about the time and distance to the others. We also had a great local guide, Patricio. The site was interesting, several structures standing and several more partial remains of structures. At the entrance there were a couple little shops for refreshments and souvenirs, and restrooms.

I have done the Tulum one from a Princess ship. It was truly spectacular. It didn't feel rushed or too drawn out. They took us to a catered lunch at a private beach resort for lunch & time on the beach. It was amazing. It made us want to someday do a destination trip to Tulum & stay on that beach in a house for a week. I vote do Tulum. I'd book that one again in a heartbeat!

To clarify, the lunch & beach part was after the ruins. They were incredible. One of the most picturesque settings I've seen.

We haven't done Tulum or Chichen Itza, but we did Xunantunich on a stop in Belize about a decade ago and did San Gervasio last month when we were in Cozumel with the Fantasy. San Gervasio was fine and made a lot more sense for our family of four with younger kids, but there wasn't anything incredibly impressive to see. if you really want to see ruins and are willing to commit the resources and port time to it, do Chichen Itza or Tulum.

I have to agree with everyone who mentioned Tulum over Chichen Itza. Tulum is much closer, although not as close as San Gervasio, which is on the island of Cozumel. If you want to brave the ferry (it can be rough) and the long travel, Tulum is spectacular. If you were doing a land based vacation, I would recommend Chichen Itza in a heartbeat with a swim in the cenotes for good measure. :) But CI is too far to travel from Cozumel if you are only in port for a few hours, and yes, it is HOT! Tulum at least overlooks the ocean and you can get breezes. SG is kind of small and unless you are combining it with something else, may not make you feel it was worth your time. DCL offers a chocolate tasting and something else with it (I forgot what though), which might make it worthwhile. Or if you wanted to check out Cozumel, it would give you time to shop etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter