Which San Diego beach for young ones?

94bruin

DIS Veteran
We're looking to book a place through VRBO in San Diego. We plan on hitting Legoland & Seaworld. Ideally, we'd like to stay somewhere within walking distance to a nice beach. Any suggestions on which beach to stay at?

Thanks!

There are some good hotels on Mission Bay. I really like this beach compared to the more open ocean areas since there are less waves.

Mission Bay doesn't have any waves and is thus safer for kids. But it's not a traditional ocean beach area since it is a bay. More like a salt water lake.

Coronado Beach probably has the lightest waves and gentle currents for kids. Always swim near a life guard and don't allow the kids to go out deeper than their abilities as even small waves can easly knock down small kids.

If you can afford it La Jolla Shores is also great for families, good safe beach with small current. La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club and The Shores Hotels are both right on the beach, and the Hotel La Jolla is within a 15 minute walk.

Personally, while I love the Mission Bay area, and some of the hotels are truly wonderful, I would not count it as a beach, and the water can be truly disgusting at times to swim in. Just depends on when you hit it.

I also second the Coronado suggestion. Easily the best beach in all of San Diego County (with La Jolla Shores a close second).

Mission Beach has some great family areas. If you decide against a house you might check the Bahia. It is on the bay side, but is a short walk to the ocean. DS was 4 when we stayed there and he LOVED it.

Coronado for sure.
Although not really "walking" distance, the Marriott was wonderful and a quick drive to the beach.
I dream of staying at the Del someday.

If you can afford it, stay at the Hotel Del Coronado. It's beautiful, the beach there is wonderful, and there will be a LOT of families staying there. I was just walking around the beach there last week, and on the beach, it was almost 100% families there.

I'd stay away from Mission Bay. Although it's my favorite picnic spot in San Diego, the water there usually looks pretty dirty, and there are several sewage drains along the area. It is safe to go in the water unless there is a sign otherwise posted, but I'd still stay away.

Another option to The Del is this: http://www.gloriettabayinn.com/ I've mentioned this place before on the DisBoards. It's right across the street from the Del/Beach and includes a continental breakfast, which is nice when you have kids. They've got two types of rooms: Mansion and Contemporary. I've only stayed in their Mansion rooms, but I'm guessing the other rooms are nice too.

You might also want to consider beaches in North San Diego County, like Carlsbad (where Legoland is located), Encinitas, Solana Beach, or Del Mar. They have accomodations dotted all along the beach. Also check out this website: http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/index.htm

Good luck in your search. :)

:cool1: This is a GREAT idea, I live in North County and we have MILES AND MILES of awesome beaches!!!! :cool1:

Yup...SD North County is often overlooked. There are a bunch of VRBOs near Moonlight Beach in Encinitas, which may be a good option for the OP. It's just south of Legoland and about 15-20 minutes north of Sea World up Interstate 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter