Which socks to prevent blisters?

emilymad

DIS Veteran
Which socks are the best in preventing blisters during the warmer months? I am planning on bringing my very broken in sneakers. I wore them for two days in July and got a few blisters I think due to the humidity. I have worn these shoes on other Disney trips with no issue so I feel like the weather was the only thing that changed.

I am a big fan of Injinji socks.

Besides socks, if you are aware of particular hotspots, you can also use anti-blister treatments there. I use something called Gurney Goo when I am running, which is pricey, but has worked great for me. But other anti-blister/anti-chaff type stuff might help you as well, i.e. Vaseline, Body Glide, etc. There are foot powders as well, but I never found the powders as effective.

I put adhesive tape on my feet, where I typically get hot spots, each day before leaving the room. I use the cloth tape, and the friction transfers to the surface of the tape instead of my foot. It stays on in high humidity as well. I haven’t had issues with blisters since I started doing this. I tried different socks, and even the hint to wear two layers of sock, and that didn’t work for me.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am starting to think it is me. I wore Bombas and coated my feet with Body Glide and still got blisters. I followed this exact thing with the exact pair of shoes in Disneyland last August and in Disney World at Thanksgiving without any issue. I really don't know this past trip was such a mess.

I'll add in support for Bombas socks as my wife and I have a ton of pairs of them and they are pretty much all we wear when we are wearing socks. But I'm curious, have people here ever worn TOMS to the park? I have several pairs that I rotate through and while you don't wear socks with TOMS (unless you want to look like a dork), I have never gotten a blister with them and have taken them overseas and to all 4 parks. Just curious what other experiences have been (I will NOT wear crocs).

Thanks for the suggestions. I am starting to think it is me. I wore Bombas and coated my feet with Body Glide and still got blisters. I followed this exact thing with the exact pair of shoes in Disneyland last August and in Disney World at Thanksgiving without any issue. I really don't know this past trip was such a mess.
What kind of shoes are you wearing? My wife swears by Hokas. I like Toms, Doc Martens, and Birkenstocks. I rarely get blisters.

I get blisters every single trip. Doesn’t matter the time of year. I’ve tried Keens, Crocs, Hey Dudes, New Balance tennis shoes. All broken in and it makes no difference. I’ve worn two pairs of socks. It’s so frustrating! I will try some of these recommendations as well.

I also love injinjis but not the price. I'm trying out a pair of knock off toe socks I found on amazon and will see if they work just as well.

A pair of good athletic sandals like teva or chaco are a great backup option for WDW. Gives feet a chance to escape from the same seam lines and chafing. Definitely try them on in a shoe shop first and give yourself a few months of walking to see if they work for you. Also a good strategy for rainy mornings when you know from the get go your socks and shoes will be soaked for the day.

I'm a hiker and one of the first rules of footwear is no cotton. Cotton holds moisture, moisture causes blisters. I believe Bombas are mostly cotton. Wool is recommended. There are also synthetic fibers that are made to be moisture-wicking. Personally, I wear no-name wool blend socks from Amazon and New Balance shoes with no issues.

I used Skechers with memory foam and cooling gel. Some of the days we were there it was in the high 90’s with a well over 100 feels like. My feet got warm but never overly hot like most years when I wear Nike and also usually hotest days were 90 or 91 We were still walking 12+miles a day. The cooling gel does work when it is in the 80s and I stop walking local my feet can feel cold. They do however make sort of squishy sound if you listen closely when you walk. A lot of padding under your foot I guess. I used lace one I do have slip on ones as well but I like my sneakers a little tighter on my foot if that makes a difference for anyone.

I have issues with blisters. The thing I did that made the biggest difference is I no longer get a pedicure before I go to WDW. I make sure any pedicure is at least 3 weeks before my trip. The pedicure gave me baby soft feet which blistered a lot. Since I have stopped getting pre vacation pedicures I get at most one blister a trip.

I'm a hiker and one of the first rules of footwear is no cotton. Cotton holds moisture, moisture causes blisters. I believe Bombas are mostly cotton. Wool is recommended. There are also synthetic fibers that are made to be moisture-wicking. Personally, I wear no-name wool blend socks from Amazon and New Balance shoes with no issues.

There may be some that are mostly cotton, but the All-Purpose Performance Ankle Socks in the Athletic category are only 15% cotton...

1691268767223.png

I second the idea of wool socks. I avoid polyester and cotton for high mileage days. Your feet could get hot, but not blistered. Oddly enough, not as hot as you would expect.

Socks are just as important as the shoes! I wore Bombas in June - and they were too thick and too warm for me. Thick socks in heat are always worse for me.

I've been playing with some Balega performance socks (an ultralight and a hidden dry) on my walks before my next trip - and a couple older pairs of those have also been good. I also have one pair of Thorlo's that can cut it in the heat - but they aren't my favorite.

And your socks need to fit right - if they are too loose on your feet - they are going to be moving around and their rubbing can cause blisters.

Note - I'm just wearing New Balance shoes - 880.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter