• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which time/ Holiday is slower, do you think??

aksunshine

DIS Veteran
Hi! We haven't been to WDW since 2013. We used to go every year. I am planning for a trip next year. My husband won't want to use his entire vacation time on the trip. Luckily, he gets 7 days off/month. So we might use a couple of days tacked on to the end or beginning of one of those. Problem is, the 7 days when we can go all fall during holidays.

We are a "slow" time of year type family. I homeschool, so I have a good amount of freedom there. That said, however, we also have a small farm, so I have to plan around animal births and garden season.... And hunting season...!!!

It leaves us with Jan, Feb, and Oct. The weeks are what gets us... These are the weeks my DH is off; Jan 18-24 (MLK), Feb 15-21(Presidents), and Oct 25-31(Halloween).

I worry about Halloween, since we want to do a day at Universal, but we don't want the "scary". Will we be safe going before HHN? I also don't like the short MK days.

If it were Jan or Feb, the trip would be a surprise part of the kids Christmas.

Now, I LOVE Food and Wine! So I lean toward Fall, but also, I really want to go, as we haven't been in so long. See my dilemma? So maybe you can help me??? Thanks!!

Last edited:
We homeschool too, and I love being able to go during ' slow times' !! I'd hate to wait until next October too, but fall is my favorite time to go. I'd say next best is February. When my husband goes we can't ever go in November because of hunting season....normally I take the kids to Disney while he takes a hunting trip :) I'm not sure where you have to fly/ drive from, but if flying, look to see when airfare is the cheapest! I'm originally from Louisville and the straight flights on SWA were great. We've lived in GA for 6 years now, and get to drive ( only 4 hours, yay!) Have a great trip no matter what, after this long of a hiatus, you deserve it ☺️

I vote for October. You’ll have the best chance at nice weather and, as you said, F&W. My second choice would be January, but the weather can be chilly and the park hours will be short, also fireworks may not be scheduled every night.

I’d pass on February, since it’s school vacation week for some states and can be pretty crowded.

We homeschool too, and I love being able to go during ' slow times' !! I'd hate to wait until next October too, but fall is my favorite time to go. I'd say next best is February. When my husband goes we can't ever go in November because of hunting season....normally I take the kids to Disney while he takes a hunting trip :) imI not sure where you have to fly/ drive from, but if flying look to see when airfare is the cheapest! I'm originally from Louisville and the straight flights on SWA were great. We've lived in GA for 6 years now, and get to drive ( only 4 hours, yay!) Have a great trip no matter what, after this long of a hiatus, you deserve it ☺️
Thanks Steph! My husband is mostly caught up with hunting with the kids. Youth weekend starts last weekend of September, but I can squeeze in Fall. I wondered about Feb, since President's day is that week? I do prefer Fall, but it would be fun to surprise kids with a trip as part of their Christmas! :) We are just north of Louisville in Charlestown! We usually drive though.

I have family in Charlestown, nice! We are headed down the week before President's Day until that Sunday. The crowds around this time have been manageable, but not ' slow' like we would prefer. The kids would love a Christmas surprise I'm sure, so personally I may lean towards that. Have a magical trip!

Hi! We haven't been to WDW since 2013. We used to go every year. I am planning for a trip next year. My husband won't want to use his entire vacation time on the trip. Luckily, he gets 7 days off/month. So we might use a couple of days tacked on to the end or beginning of one of those. Problem is, the 7 days when we can go all fall during holidays.

We are a "slow" time of year type family. I homeschool, so I have a good amount of freedom there. That said, however, we also have a small farm, so I have to plan around animal births and garden season.... And hunting season...!!!

It leaves us with Jan, Feb, and Oct. The weeks are what gets us... These are the weeks my DH is off; Jan 18-24 (MLK), Feb 15-21(Presidents), and Oct 25-31(Halloween).

I worry about Halloween, since we want to do a day at Universal, but we don't want the "scary". Will we be safe going before HHN? I also don't like the short MK days.

If it were Jan or Feb, the trip would be a surprise part of the kids Christmas.

Now, I LOVE Food and Wine! So I lean toward Fall, but also, I really want to go, as we haven't been in so long. See my dilemma? So maybe you can help me??? Thanks!!

We were there over Presidents Day weekend this year, never again!!! Packed!!! CL were around a 9 every day.

If those are really the only 3 choices, I'd pick October. It might be a smidge less busy than the other 2 choices.

I've gone Halloween week, President's Day week and MLK weekend and I would pick October. It was definitely less crowded than the Jan. and Feb. holidays.

MLK is better than Presidents day. I have never been at Halloween but fall generally seems to be busier, so I would avoid it.

I vote for October. The weather is really nice during the fall, and the "scary" shouldn't be a problem at Universal, especially during the day. It's generally more crowded in Jan and Feb because of school holidays. Halloween is slow because everyone is home with their kids trick or treating lol.

If you go in late October, stay away from the weekends at Universal.
HHN closes the Studios park at 5:00 and weekends tend to get crowded.
Large props for HHN in the studios park are covered during the day

IOA is not affected by the special event.

Go during the week and you will be fine for a day visit there.

I'm at WDW 50 weeks a year and have been for decades and normally I'd have no problem with late Oct, early Nov, however, Disney has officially announced that Galaxy's Edge is slated to launch in late fall of 2019. Could that include the last week in Oct? Just something to keep an eye on.

We have been MLK week several times and it is really not too bad. Those weekend days are a bit more crowded but overall not a bad week at all. Weather can be iffy but we prefer cold to hot

I can't imagine it being really any more crowded in Jan/Feb than it would be Halloween week. Those holidays are just one day holidays, so, sure the weekend and that day may be crowded.

There is no "slow time" really anymore. Just go when it is best for your family. What do you value more? Possibly seeing/doing Halloween activities or going at a traditionally slower time (knowing that sometimes a lot of things are closed for refurbishment then).

That being said, I would gather that January is slower than the rest -- unless that is a race weekend.

Of all the times I've been to WDW (since 2010) .. late January was the slowest I've ever seen it.
October (early October) was probably the busiest.

I would also voice something about January or February: Festival of the Arts. If you homeschool, you could include a whole thing about art and then the kids would be able to enjoy it and possibly use it as a lesson plan too.

And while Jan/Feb have been lower crowd seasons in the past, that’s not so true anymore. This year they had higher waits than June/July. Halloween will also be crowded though (but I would listen to the advice that Star Wars could possibly open then in 2019-we have no clue on specific opening dates yet). I think you’ll just need to preplan, with FPs and ADRs boomed well in advance.

As for Universal, it’s fine to go in the day before HHN. There may be some props around, but those will be roped off. No scary characters will be around until HHN starts.

If you go in late October, stay away from the weekends at Universal.
HHN closes the Studios park at 5:00 and weekends tend to get crowded.
Large props for HHN in the studios park are covered during the day

IOA is not affected by the special event.

Go during the week and you will be fine for a day visit there.
Thanks. I was thinking Wednesday?

Studios will close at 5 as there is hhn event that night

IOA will be open longer than the Studios

You could do the studios until 2:30 and take the HE (Hogwarts Express) train to IOA by way of the studios

You would have sufficient time at the other park to do everything then

Wednesday should be a low crowd day at both parks even with the early closing at the studios

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter