Which would you choose?

alizesmom

Dreaming of Disney.
Ciara was finally put on ripiradone this fall for her self-abusive behaviors. We have seen a little improvement there but also have seen more clarity and ability to concentrate. Now she has started having tardive dyskinesia as a side effect. If we don't stop the meds, it will likely be permanent, if we do stop the meds, she will lose what little she has gained. Anyone with suggestions? Karen

Risperdal is a very dangerous drug. I understand why you chose to try it, but the TD is likely to be permanent if you don't stop soon after onset. Another side effect is Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome which can be fatal. Have you looked into any natural supplements that can work just as well. We use a DAN doctor and have solved the issues you mention with supplements such as Taurine, Magnesium, P5P (a B vitamin) and 5htp.

We were always told that Risperdal is a last resort med, but too many doctors who do not understand autism well hand it out like candy, like they did with Ritalin in the 80s. Some kids truly need it but most don't.

My son takes Namenda (an alzheimer drug but is also a cognitive enhancer) and it is amazing, and safer though not without risks. With this we see focus and being more "with it" and present.

DD's first psychiatrist specifically told us she wanted to stay away from Risperdal due to high incidence of serious side effects. Her current psychiatrist doesn't hold as negative a view on it, but since we are having luck with other meds, we aren't looking to switch meds.

We started DD on Abilify as it tends to have fewer side effects than the Risperdal. We've had good luck with it decreasing her aggressive behavior. While DD takes this for bipolar disorder, I know Abilify has been used with autistic children as well. Abilify also carries the risk of tardive dyskinesia so that may not be an option for your DD. In the meantime, I don't think you really have any option but to discontinue the Risperdal. You don't want the tardive dyskinesia to become permanent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter