Who did NOT die! The training journal of not-so-fast runner and costume addict (Comments welcome)

Ooh! What are you guys going to see?

We're huge Eddie Izzard fans, so the impetus of the trip was to see his limited run one-man version of Great Expectations. It's probably crap, but we love him, and we were also curious about the 1776 revival with the female/BIPOC spin, so we booked a trip to catch those two. We were just there in spring for a bunch of other shows, so we were pretty caught up otherwise.

AND because of the timing of our incoming flight (at rush hour), we decided to stay at the TWA hotel at JFK for a night! We've wanted an excuse to stay there and hang out since it opened.

I am also curious about this! My family watched 1776 (the movie version) for the Fourth of July every year growing up and I'm really interested to see the new version. Let us know what you think!

We watch it every July 4th too and I love it! A friend saw it about a month ago and raved, so I'm looking forward to it. I'll definitely report back.

When you get back please share your experience at the TWA Hotel. I just saw a youtube video the other day about - I did not know a thing about it. But that looks fun!

Reporting in from NYC! I'll post my weekly report when I'm home later this week but wanted to share the TWA Hotel stuff while it's still fresh, since a few of you asked for it.

tl;dr The TWA Hotel was EPIC! So photogenic. Some pics from my phone (I have some on my real camera that I'll pull when I'm back home, too): TWA Hotel

We were just there one night as we came in just before rush hour and had no show that night. We did notice quite a few folks with luggage who were there on long layovers, so mental note for that if we ever have time to deal with going back through security. As a hotel it was a bit lacking for storage in the room and there were a few quirks (which is weird since the hotel towers are new), but for one night it was well worth the diversion!

If you have time to do one thing, come in through the grand lobby and out the back to the bar in the Connie aircraft -- SO cool.

A few teaser pics from the much larger album linked above:
20221219_172818.jpg

20221219_172111.jpg

20221219_172030.jpg

20221219_175037.jpg

20221219_203242.jpg

20221219_165851.jpg

20221220_104106.jpg

That hotel looks full-on retro-futuristic. Super cool!

It was the state of the art TWA terminal in 1962 and was obsolete not even 10 years later. They still operated it until TWA went under, but then it sat derelict until JetBlue bought it and had it restored into this. It was designed by the architect who did the St Louis Gateway Arch, and the shape mimics pilot wings. Here are a few shots from the outside:

20221219_165447.jpg
20221219_165319.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing! You take great pictures. I thikn I would get stuck there just standing and and staring. So cool!!!

Dopey 2023 Training: Week 16

I did not intent to skip a training update entirely last week, but here we are. Thanks for the lovely comments on my photos from the TWA Hotel! Now let's catch up...

Monday (12/12): Rest.

Tuesday (12/13): Cross train.

Met with my trainer for strength training after missing the week before due to travel. We've upgraded the gym in our building so I no longer have to drive and he can come to us. Elevator ride = no excuses!

I also had a couple of appointments around downtown and decided to power walk to and from them in the snow, so I ended up with about 3 miles in addition to the trainer.

Wednesday (12/14): 1.5mi WU + 2x2mi(11:55)/5min rest + 1mi CD.
I don't recall the specific reason I skipped this one, but looking back on my training cycle, it's been pretty consistent that I miss the Wednesday workout. It's sad as I really like speed work! But my Wednesdays tend to be super busy for work. Making this note so I remember to make this a rest day in future plans.

Thursday (12/15): 3.5 miles easy.
Treadmill. Stacking these iFit runs up for the peak weeks of training is putting me within reach of 150 workouts for the year!

Friday (12/16): 3.5 miles easy.
Had a busy day at work prepping to be gone next week for NYC, and we went to dinner with a friend. Just got busy and didn't get this one in.

Saturday (12/17): 6 miles easy. 4.5 miles easy.
I ran around looking for a couple of things for my MW costumes and had to kind of cram this in on the treadmill. But after missing Friday I knew I had to try and do something. I did use this run to break in some new NewBalance FuelCell Elites that I had in the closet and was saving for the races.

Sunday (12/18): 8.5 miles easy + 2 miles M Tempo + Nutrition.
Normally I would run on the treadmill before the Chiefs game, but they were early this week and I had a ton to do to get ready for the NYC trip. So, I bit the bullet and did my run during the game. As usual, we played down to our competition and attempted to lose to the worst team in the league, so my heart rate was probably a bit higher than it should've been for the easy portion. Those last two miles felt great! I didn't really do anything new with nutrition -- big breakfast about 90 minutes before and Tailwind on the treadmill.

Dopey 2023 Training: Week 17

Monday (12/19): Rest.

We traveled to NYC on a direct flight, so thankfully it was uneventful. Stayed at the TWA Hotel that night to see the old 1962 terminal, which was SO cool! (Scroll up for more on that and lots of photos.)

Tuesday (12/20): 4 miles easy. 6.7 miles walking.
The hotel has a MASSIVE gym that we really wanted to try out, but we celebrated a little hard and a little late the night before. By the time we got up and around, we had time to shower and pack before getting kicked out. We stopped for a proper bagel and coffee before heading into the city, where we promptly walked 6.7 miles before our show that night.

20221220_132812.jpg 20221220_185748.jpg 20221220_184544.jpg

Wednesday (12/21): 1.5mi WU + 4x1mi(11:55)/3min rest + 1mi CD. 3.9 miles walking.
Par for the course, missed Wednesday's workout. We spent some time working from the hotel and had a show in the evening, but still ended up walking nearly 4 miles. We were also staying on the 3rd floor of a hotel with slow elevators, so we ended up walking the stairs most of the time we were there.

20221221_165208.jpg 20221221_185900.jpg

If you ever stay or visit the Algonquin (home of Dorothy Parker's Round Table), be sure and say hi to Hamlet, the resident cat!

20221220_121246.jpg

Thursday (12/22): Cross train. 5.2 miles walking.
We traveled home just in time to miss the polar vortex. Our flight was in the afternoon and the rain held off until we were going to the airport, so we got some good walking in earlier in the day going to see some of the department store Christmas windows.

20221222_111742.jpg

As a knitter, I really appreciated that this entire window was done with fiber arts techniques!

20221222_112049.jpg

Friday (12/23): 3.5 miles easy + Heat.
Back home, and thankfully we were just to the west side of the polar vortex, so things were just normal winter cold here. We did get a dusting of snow, which was nice. Because this is the start of heat acclimation, I did this on the treadmill rather than bundling up for outside.

Saturday (12/24): 5.5 miles easy + Heat.
The Chiefs played on Saturday this week and in the early time slot, so I waited until after the win to jump on the treadmill, wearing full length leggings, long sleeve shirt and a half zip over top of that. I was definitely sweating! Called my dad to wish him a happy birthday and ended the evening with my traditional viewing of the 1951 Scrooge starring Alister Sim.

Sunday (12/25): 7 miles M Tempo + Heat.
It's just DH and I this year at home, so we got up and made a decent breakfast before opening gifts. Once again, I bundled up for a treadmill run to sweat it out. OH and I hit my 150th iFit workout for the year!

This week:
My runs this week are all 3-4 miles with heat acclimation. Since I do so much training on the treadmill, I feel pretty well acclimated to the heat this year but I would like to do a few of my last runs outside before we head down to Florida. We have a full on inversion going, trapping nasty air, but that's supposed to clear mid-week. I'll try to get outside for a few of my shorter runs just to get the feel of the pavement.

I've got just a few things to tick off to finish costumes this week and then I'll start packing them up in cubes and ziplocks to keep everything together for each race. I can't believe it's almost time!!!

Last edited:
Since we are SO close and we'll all be busy packing and traveling soon, I figured a mid-week update was appropriate.

Monday: Rest.

Tuesday: 4 miles easy + Heat. 1 mile + Heat. Cross train.

My trainer came to the building gym the same day we got a new fancy treadmill, so after my strength training I jumped on to play with it for a bit. Did the whole thing overdressed for heat acclimation.

Wednesday: 4 miles easy + Heat.
I got caught up with work stuff (had my only meeting all week) and worked on my shirt back designs for all my costumes. I'm still pretty new to Cricut and underestimated how long it would take to cut everything out and prep it to apply. By the time I came up for air, it was dinner time and I was just done.

Thursday: Cross train. 4 miles easy + Heat.
More work and more Cricuting. I have to re-do my 5K shirt because the sublimated print is too bold and my plan to put down a layer of color for the design didn't work. All the supplies I bought are for infusible ink and not vinyl, so I can't switch. I'm just going to have to print on another fabric and somehow attach it so it doesn't look horribly patch-worked. UGH! I had swapped out my Disgust shirt for a black one, and painted white dots on it, but I will have the same issue with that, but I decided to do just switch to a white shirt and add black dots. After all that, it was almost 5pm. DH kindly took care of the pets while I jumped on the treadmill in my leggings and long sleeves. It felt good to get some of the costume stress out!

The rest of the weekend is crunch time!
I still have my Joy design left to apply, and I need to redo the 5K design and attach it to the shirt. My birthday is today 🥳🎂 and I have 3.5 miles easy with heat acclimation and took the day off work. I have another 3 + heat for both Saturday and Sunday, so I'll use those runs to test some remaining costume bits.

Sunday and Monday I'll do laundry and start packing. I go in Tuesday morning to get my final hair touch-up to go fully Joy blue! Then I have a bunch of work calls to catch up from the holiday and get ahead for my time out for Dopey. Thankfully, I'm flying out on a redeye that night, so plenty of time for last minute packing and anything else that comes up.

I can't believe it's so close!

giphy.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter