Who do you tell about your child's autism?

XYSRUS

DIS Veteran
Specifically I was wondering if any of you have spoken to or had a professional speak to your child's class about extra accommodations your child needs or things they may see your child do/say? Why or why didn't you allow this. How did your child feel about it? Thanks

I have been working on getting neurodiversity education in my child’s school. I have not gotten it done but under our states bullying prevention requirements it should get done soon.

We are very open about our families “differences”, and since my son’s sees being Aspergers as being different, not a negative, with its advantages and challenges so this is easy.

bookwormde

Specifically I was wondering if any of you have spoken to or had a professional speak to your child's class about extra accommodations your child needs or things they may see your child do/say? Why or why didn't you allow this. How did your child feel about it? Thanks

our DS (10) who is slightly autistic (PDD) was just main-streamed back into our district this year. the regular homeroom teacher (who holds a master in special ed) just explained to the class that DS is autistic and may need some assistance performing certain tasks. then reminded the entire class of the anti-bully rules and consequences. our DS has done really well and the kids are very kind and sweet to him. my advice is honesty is the best policy :hug:

I'm not the parent of an autistic child, but I teach 1st grade and there is an autistic boy who is mainstreamed into my classroom for parts of the day. His special ed. teacher read a wonderful story (I can find out the name after the holiday if anyone wants) about a boy with autism and his strengths and weaknesses. She also answered any questions my students had. From a teacher's point of view, I can say that having an understanding of their friend with autism has helped tremendously; the other students are much more comfortable and able to be better friends. :goodvibes

I don't think our school has ever said anything to DS's classmates, ever. They don't talk about it at all. I *believe* they consider it a HIPPA or FERPA thing, even if they have parent's permission, they don't talk about it to any of the kids. If one of the kids says something, they reply along the lines of "that's just the way he is" and "yes he does move his arms a lot when he's thinking" and then talk about something good that he does too.

I do not know what they do if DS himself tells someone, I should ask.

I never really thought about it. I do remember reading Temple Grandin and how her mom went to the school a day early to talk to the class. And I see both sides of it. At some point the kids notice a difference and when they do, it should be explained properly. But at the same time, giving a label has a downside too, the child being looked at differently.

I did buy a copy of "Everybody Is Different" for the school so that should it come up, the resource is there. It's a pretty good book, written about 3rd grade level.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter