Who drives from Atlanta to HHI? Atlanta Airport?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
For our next HHI trip, we found a non-stop from our little airport into Atlanta. For everywhere else (Jacksonville, Savannah, or CHarleston) we'd have to change AT LEAST once. We know that it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Atlanta, versus about 45 minutes from Savannah. But times are such that we'd get to the resort at roughly the same time by driving from Atlanta (land at 11:00am, versus 4:30 pm). But none of this factors in the stress involved in the drive (just looking at the lack of stress of a non-stop flight). How's the drive? WHo's driven from Atlanta? And how's the airport? Oh, yeah-it's about $150 less than Savannah too. Do do you think we should go to Atlanta and drive 5 1/2 hours to save $150 and change of planes, or is it still more convenient to fly all the way into Savannah?

Hi Simba's Mom,

I'm from Atlanta and my mom lives in HH so we've driven it more than a few times. First you should know that traffic around Atlanta is infamous. Arriving at 11am, hopefully this won't be a problem. However, the city is growing so fast that road work is prevalent and you can be in traffic for hours because of a couple of orange cones.

The first leg of the trip is Atlanta to Macon and this is where you would have traffic if there was traffic. After Macon, the drive is flat and uneventful. There aren't many places to stop (thinking if you have kids) other than Dublin in between Macon and Atlanta.

The Atlanta Airport is big so if you did take the connection, it would be good if you had more time. My vote is that there's more to do in the Atlanta airport than taking in no scenery from Macon toward Savannah.

The drive from the Savannah airport to HHI is pretty (you'll go this way even if you drove from Atlanta too). Lots of oak trees with Spanish moss.

If I had a vote, it would be to pay the $150 and take the connection. You'll get there at about the same time, but at least you'll arrive after being bored instead of driving all day and being tired. If the difference was $200+, I would tell you to drive.

I hope that helps! Visit River Street in Savannah if you have time. There's no place like it!

princess: worldfamous

Just fly all the way to savannah; atlanta traffic can be a huge pain, and getting your car and your luggage will tack on easily another hour before you get out of there.

I can't stress how monstrously large Hartsfield Intl. is-you have to take a train just to get to your luggage.

We live in the Atlanta area and have made the trip to HH many times...

It's about 5 hours from our home (Marietta, NW of the city). Driving from the airport should cut nearly an hour off that.

Worldfamous is right -- the traffic between the airport and Macon CAN be tough -- for some reason there is an area where the traffic is ALWAYS backed up, no matter what day of the week or time of day! Once you get to Macon, you're in for a few hours of boredom -- I-16 has little traffic and little to see. If you decide to drive, I'll let you know where to stop if you need to -- some of the exits can be kind of desolate.

Overall, it's not a bad drive. And arriving in ATL at 11:00 shouldn't be too bad, traffic-wise. I'd say give it a try, so you will know whether or not to consider it as an option in the future!

Ya, I was going to say...it takes me about 4.5 hours from my house east of Atlanta. However that said I wouldn't choose a what would be at least 5 hours (including deplaning and car rental) over a plane change and $150...unless that $150 is per person...then that's a different spin on things.

You might check into the prices flying into Columbia, SC. It's a tidy little airport with lots of business travelers...about 90 miles inland from Charleston. Over the years I've used it as an alternate airport for both Charleston and Atlanta...from Newark however. For the most part it was cheaper to fly into that Charleston but not always cheaper than Atlanta. Another option might be Myrtle Beach...again about 80 or 90 miles north of Charleston but all coastal driving. Because of golfers it can be cheap from some locations but I dont know about in the summer time. I think timewise it would be the same as Atlanta but you stop and hit the beach at various locations. On the negative side you'd have to deal with the infamous US17.

OK. The joys of ATL rental car.

ALL rental cars require you to shuttle off site. For this you then get the WORST service in America (regardless of rental car company. LOL!) I used to fly in here every week, I went thru all of them. Give your self LOTS of time on the return. (The old Alamo took the cake. Charged me for a car they couldn't find to give me. National is just bad, but not horrid. Same with Hertz, Budget and Avis!)

This is NOT an airport where you or DH go get the car and come back and get the rest of the family. Stay together..... they are doing construction in front of the terminals (SOMEDAY they claim we will be able to take a "train" to the rental cars.)

The rental car situation here is NOT good. There is a traffic jam INTO and OUT of the places every time I use one....

OK. The joys of ATL rental car.

ALL rental cars require you to shuttle off site. For this you then get the WORST service in America (regardless of rental car company. LOL!) I used to fly in here every week, I went thru all of them. Give your self LOTS of time on the return. (The old Alamo took the cake. Charged me for a car they couldn't find to give me. National is just bad, but not horrid. Same with Hertz, Budget and Avis!)

This is NOT an airport where you or DH go get the car and come back and get the rest of the family. Stay together..... they are doing construction in front of the terminals (SOMEDAY they claim we will be able to take a "train" to the rental cars.)

The rental car situation here is NOT good. There is a traffic jam INTO and OUT of the places every time I use one....
OMG!:sad2: I don't think we're going to fly to Atlanta and try to drive. One way or another, we'll get to HHI, but I don't think it'll be via the Atlanta airport. Thanks for your ideas everyone. Hey, things change all the time. We can always hope for a new airline alternative in this area!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter