Who has made the move to FL?

There are TONS of rural areas in Florida! There is a lot of farm and ranch land, as well as "horsey" areas.
Where abouts are the rural areas and are they , like Indiana, less expensive than living in a major town? I apologize for bothering folks about this , just conducting my own "feasibility study " so to speak. We are looking in the Orlando/Kissimmee or Gainsville area as my husband is an apartment maintenance hvac man and these areas pay best . Just don't want to live in town.

Gainesville is in Alachua county and there are quite a few small towns/rural areas there. Micanaopy and High Springs are two cute small towns in that area you could look into. I can't say for sure but I would think cost of living would be as low there as probably just about anywhere in Florida, and it wouldn't be too far from Gainesville.

Gainesville is in Alachua county and there are quite a few small towns/rural areas there. Micanaopy and High Springs are two cute small towns in that area you could look into. I can't say for sure but I would think cost of living would be as low there as probably just about anywhere in Florida, and it wouldn't be too far from Gainesville.
Thank you! I now have some places to research.

Another poster shared about this area with me. Sounds very reasonable for COL and only 30'ish mins to Gainesville. I really have just kind of ignored that whole part of FL thinking it wasn't an option but I'm trying to keep everything north and central as options we could consider.

Where abouts are the rural areas and are they , like Indiana, less expensive than living in a major town? I apologize for bothering folks about this , just conducting my own "feasibility study " so to speak. We are looking in the Orlando/Kissimmee or Gainsville area as my husband is an apartment maintenance hvac man and these areas pay best . Just don't want to live in town.

Lake City was one city another DIS poster suggested to me that is not expensive and is rural. But also not far out of Gainesville.

Thank you!!!

My son lived in an apartment in Brooksville for a couple years when he was working in that area. His apartment was just under $600 a month, whereas apartments near my home are at least $1200 a month. A few of my co-workers (my office is in the NE part of Tampa) live in Brooksville or Lakeland and commute to Tampa.

I also wouldn't rule out the areas between Tampa and Orlando such as Thonotosassa, Zephyrhills, Plant City, Lakeland, Auburndale, etc.

Plant City is known for their annual Strawberry Festival. It's going on now March 1-11th. http://flstrawberryfestival.com/

:)

Last edited:
My son lived in an apartment in Brooksville for a couple years when he was working in that area. His apartment was just under $600 a month, whereas apartments near my home are at least $1200 a month. A few of my co-workers (my office is in the NE part of Tampa) live in Brooksville or Lakeland and commute to Tampa.

I also wouldn't rule out the areas between Tampa and Orlando such as Thonotosassa, Zephyrhills, Plant City, Lakeland, Auburndale, etc.

Plant City is known for their annual Strawberry Festival. It's going on now March 1-11th. http://flstrawberryfestival.com/

:)
Wow! I have been looking all these rural areas up and they are beautiful! I was afraid if we moved we were doomed to a life in a big city with a half million people in the same building or block. This is all becoming more doable for us now. Thanks to all who have answered!

We rented for about a year. Actually DH did while I stayed in Indiana with our youngest for her senior year in high school.
DH did a lot of research while we lived in Indiana and was convinced we would want to live in Orlando or close to it but when the transfer came through we had to live on the east coast. He moved down, rented for a year and did more looking around that first year. He fell in love with the ocean and we will stay here even after retirement if possible. We are less than 2 hrs from the mouse and that is perfect for us !!! Our town is growing fast but it is not a "big city" imo but I grew up outside of Chicago. If we move it will be closer to the water. The biggest thing coming from Indiana to Florida we had to get adjusted to HOA/POA fees. We wanted sidewalks and a community life style so in Florida that means HOA/POA fees and rules which is fine with us now.

We moved to Florida from the Midwest 3 years ago and we LOVE IT !!!!

We moved down for DH's job transfer so his pay went up (no state income tax) but I did find it extremely hard to find employment (wages are low and workers rights almost non-existent in Florida) The cost of living is higher than Indiana but the quality of living is much, much higher !!!! We live 20 min. from the beach (east coast side) and less than 2 hrs from the mouse. As far as the weather we are just fine and we have lived in Illinois, Michigan and Indiana. It is warm in the summer but not unbearable and you are correct having dinner outside in January is FANTASTIC !!! I think living so close to the ocean is a plus because we almost always have a breeze. Our allergies got better and our dogs who suffered from arthritis up north did much better down here. We never had to worry about schools because our DD's where already in college (that was part of our master plan.) Insurance is higher, power bills are lower, property taxes are higher, entertainment costs are lower. In the end I think of what my mom always said "no matter where you live they get you some how" so you will adjust and we did.
I do suggest to really think about where you want to live in Florida. My DD lived in Tampa for 3 years and now is in Orlando. I would NOT want to live in those places because of the crazy traffic. Florida is very big so there are many "areas." My suggestion is to research the different areas and compare that to what you want in life ...

Here are the really BIG things you need to know about living in Florida ...

1. Once you move here you will have lots of house guests all the time (friends and relatives you have not seen in years lol)
2. You will not need a t.v. because there is soooooooo much to do outside ... I love that about Florida !!!! Everyone down here is ACTIVE.
3. Everything here is green, beautiful and alive. We go back to visit the Midwest and get depressed with all the gloomy days and gray landscapes.
4. You will never get a great steak again but the seafood is out of this world (we do miss Midwest meat and Chicago pizza)

Indiana resident here hoping to make the move to Florida someday.....

Everyone on this board is so helpful and I am thankful for all the info! It really does give us things to research and think about!:worship:

I hope the OP won't mind if I jump on this thread with a related question! My husband and I are very ready for a move to FL from the midwest for a variety of reasons: our homeowner taxes keep going up (right now $13,000/yr on a $400K property plus 10% sales tax on most items), I've never liked the cold and feel physically and mentally better in warmer climates (we always vacation in warm weather), most of my family has moved or is moving to Florida or the surrounds, we've lived in the same area our whole life and have seen and done pretty much everything--nothing feels new anymore; lastly, we are at a transition point in our lives when it would be a great time to make a change. The only thing holding us back are two middle school children; we fear that a move could be too hard on them. One children is very enthusiastic about a move while another is not (this is the same child who went on and on during our last trip about how fun it would be to live in FL and be able to visit Disney with friends). Have any of you moved with middle schoolers and survived? Please tell!

@wendow I have followed this thread. (Not every word mind you...you have created a monster!) If our circumstances allowed now we would seriously consider the move too. Maybe in a couple years. But thinking about it in your case being from Texas and used to the ocean/water I honestly think you would adjust to Florida with ease. Probably a lot easier than the transition to Colorado and the mountain west. I think we like the idea of living in Florida in theory but coming from the west would be a little out of our element...it doesn’t sound like that would be the case for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter