WHO HAS STAYED AT TROPICAL PALMS FUN RESORT? Reviews please!!

violet13

Mouseketeer
We are leaving in a few days for Orlando to a Suite with BAD reviews, thinking of canceling and getting a cabin at the Tropical Palms Fun Resort ??(we are family of 6- 11 year old, 2 toddlers and a baby)....
Wanted to know if the cabins are Rustic like a bare cabin or more like a hotel room?? How big is the pool, is it usually crowded, is the staff friendly, over all opionion of the atmoshere, is this a good choice for children to stay? Thank you all so very much.

Sorry, can't give a review of the cabins. (I did notice that they were fairly close together.) When we stayed there, we were in our RV. However, since noone has been able to help you with this so far, I can assess the campground in general. We weren't very impressed. The staff was friendly, as is the staff at all campgrounds we've been to. The resort is not nearly as nice as their brochure would lead you to believe. The pool was nothing special at all. As far as crowded, no more than others in the area. They had the most disgusting looking pond I have ever seen. At first glance, it is fairly nice. There are picnic tables around it and an area to fish. When you get up close, you can see all the algae. There was canals running from it that looked like swamp water. Imagine solid green slime! Also, near the dumpstation there was a terrible odor. We had never encountered this before and haven't since. Hopefully someone else has had a more positive experience and can fill you in. I can tell you, we won't be going back.

I have to agree with the previous poster. The staff was great over the Christmas holiday that we stayed there in an RV two years ago but it's kind of a "cram in as many rigs as you can" kind of place. The cabins looked OK but in either case, campsite or cabin, it never could come even close to Fort Wilderness. My recommendation--pay the extra and stay at Fort Wilderness Cabins.

Maybe we'll have to get ladyn back here again! She and her family just got back from staying there last week!

We've stayed there many times in our travel trailer and liked it very much. I know it isn't Ft. Wilderness, but then again, neither are the prices to stay there. If you do go in a trailer, ask to see the 500 section of the campground, it is in the back and the lots are more spacious. We've got a trip booked Memorial weekend at Racoon Lake, just down the road, that is even less expensive. It's not like we need to worry about a room being clean or anything, we just need a place to crash, and the less we spend on lodging, the more we can spend on other things! Boy, my husband just loves that point of view!

I am the original Poster of this question, we just got back from Tropical Palms Fun Suites and WE LOVED IT there! We stayed 6 nights... We got a 2 bedroom cabin (or suite or cottage, whatever you call these cute little places with shutters, all different colors). I am SOOOOOOOO glad we changed our reservations and stayed here, it was soooo relaxing coming back to these adorable little cottages with our own little deck with a table, surrounded by palm trees & peaceful winding little roads where you can park right next to your cottage. The kids had a loft, we had a fully functioning kitchen - from a dishwasher, to a scrubbie, to a potato peeler to even containers to put things in, dishes, cups, coffee filters, etc, etc. the colorful couch was a fold out bed too. And the closets were mirrors, the beds were comfortable. And these places can accompany up to 6 to 8 people in them! Every room was bright with windows (you could use the mini blinds if you didn't like it that bright and cheery). We loved the Pools, a large one for Adults and a kiddie pool with that mushroom with water flowing down. They were both open 24 hours and heated. We just loved the "atmoshere" , it was nice sitting out on our deck late at night or even taking a stroll along these cute winding roads, they had a nice sidewalk leading straight to Old Town also. Seen alot of kids with scooters. My kids wanted their video game system hooked up to the tv, we did that too. I am a "country" girl at heart, I don't think I will ever see hotels the same again. This RV park was the best! I imagine Fort Wildreness is better, never been there or seen it, but the price of Tropical Palms probably can't be beat for something like this. We paid $79 a night but this was for a 2 bedroom (which I grabbed just 2 days before we left - all they had left)(which if you have a family of 8 on a budget would be a steal!), but they have the price as low as $59 a night for the Studio Suites where the bedroom is not partitioned off. So that's our experience.

Violet13
So glad to hear that you had such a great time.

three quick questions - did the cabin at the tropical palms have air conditioning? Did they have their own bathroom/shower or did you have to use the campground common bathroom/shower houses? If you had to use the bathhouses, how clean were they?

We love FW but are having trouble getting a cabin for the time we are considering. I am not against staying at Tropical Palms since Woodalls has given it such good reviews.

thanks - lori

I'm glad to hear you liked it Violet.....I really enjoy staying there, we also love having breakfast by the pool. And as far as the pond looking disgusting, all ponds look like that in the summer, it's really no worse than others. It clears up in the fall and winter. But I don't think you can beat the value, at least until we try Racoon Lake :)

Yes, these cottages have their own shower and bathroom, we were VERY pleased with the shower, I know at some hotels the water didn't get very hot or it just trickled out of the shower, but not here, it was great. And you have your VERY own air conditioner , can turn the heat UP or down. It's just like your own little house, carpeted too. No washing machines in there of corse, but have the laundry falcalty beside the pools. They gave us a coupon for 1 free breakfast (also by the pool), one free candy bar or soda from the "market place" (own little grocery store), but much cheaper to go down the road to Publix and buy your Groceries. Anybody with questions, just ask!

Violet - thanks for the answers!!!

I agree than slimy green ponds are everywhere - we have them at even the nicest campgrounds in jersey.

one more question for anyone who has camped at Tropical Palms - do they spray for skeeters? (those slime covered ponds - that i would be just as happy if they got rid of - are prime breeding grounds for the little disease carrying blood suckers that seem to LOVE me.)

- lori

Can't say I know the answer to that question as we didn't "camp", but used the cottage. I did see a raccoon hanging around, but was told by the people who work there, there is no rabid coons there. Not to worry.

Getting ready to visit Tropical Palms 2 Friday's from now for 10 days, and am taking the trailer. We have a "SuperSite" reserved, but are looking for suggestions on which site numbers to pick, if they are available. We too, as others have stated, were aprehensive at giving up our Ft. Wilderness reservations for this park. I guess I'm looking for "warm and fuzzies" on the RV parts of the park.
Any and all advice and comments are wanted.

Thanks, Duane

Duane, ask to see the 500 section of the resort. We are veteran campers there and that seems to be the nicest section there...in the back of the park so you're not getting as much traffic going through. Also they have nice shaded spots too back there. As far as the bugs go, I'm sure they do spray, but take some repellant just to be safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter