Who Needs Rides Anyway - Most Magical Trip Yet - 15th to 18th May 2013 TRIP REPORT

rottie155

<font color=royalblue>Clochette? CLOCHETTE!!!!!<br
Day 1 – Wednesday 15th May 2013 – My Birthday

After what has felt like an eternity of waiting, worrying and anxiousness; DBF and I are finally back off to the magic to celebrate our birthdays. We decided that this year we (well, DBF actually) would attempt the drive to Disneyland Paris to make it feel more like an adventure and also because we both hate the nightmare we always seem to experience at the Eurostar Marne-la-Vallée station coming home (we also liked the idea of being able to buy more souvenirs and not having to worry about carrying them). However, three weeks before our trip to the magic, DBF was rushed into hospital with a burst appendix and that’s when everything took a little bit of a nosedive. After the long operation, DBF was told he will not be able to drive for upto 10 weeks and recovery could take this length of time also. After many a conversation about his health, DBF remained adamant that we will still be making the journey to Disney, even if it meant he would not be able to ride anything – and I would have to drive instead.

With a 3:30 alarm set – I am up and ready by 4:00am (still feeling rather nervous about the drive) and by 4:30am I am on the open road to pick up DBF. By 5am, I had loaded the car with DBF’s luggage, we had put a Disney CD on (has to be done) and we made our way to Ashford to pick up the Eurotunnel for 7:20am. The journey was uneventful, we spent the drive singing at the top of our voices to all things Disney and we actually arrived ahead of schedule (6:15am). As we were early we were given the option of boarding the 6:50am train – which we gladly took! This saw us arrive at Calais for 8:30am French time. Brilliant!

As it was my birthday, whilst on the 30min Eurotunnel journey, I sat and opened up my birthday cards and presents (I’m like a child, giddy with excitement) and it was a really lovely way to begin the day as I had completely forgotten that it was my birthday! Then we approached Calais... the fear was clearly evident on my face because DBF told me to take a deep breath, stay calm and the journey will be fine. Feeling reassured when my SatNav kicked into gear and lead me towards a sign for ‘Paris’ and a 94 mile stretch of motorway, I said to myself “you can do this”! The drive was a piece of cake – it was so simple and I cannot believe I was so worried about it! We worked out that it was like a three part ride, there was the 94 mile motorway stretch, then a 70 mile road (where at the end I squealed a little when I saw Parc Asterix), then a 15/20minute ride on a main road straight to Disney itself. So simple, so easy and so quick. We arrived at the Disneyland Hotel at 11:45am where we pulled up outside reception, a man came over and helped us unload our cases onto a trolley and gave us a ticket, then he took my car keys (DBF said my face showed I was not used to Valet Parking and I looked like I was being mugged when handing over the keys LOL), gave me another ticket for the valet parking and then off we went inside the hotel (not before I stood and watched my car drive off in the hands of another person).

DBF was in a lot of pain (sitting in the car for that period of time probably wasn’t the ideal thing to do) so I told him to sit on the comfy chairs (next to the Mickey marionette) whilst I checked in (not wanting him to know I had booked a surprise birthday cake for him for Thursday evening). When I checked in, the receptionist said “I can see you are a regular guest of the Disneyland Hotel, we have given you your usual room (straight up the top of the ‘Grand Staircase’, turn right, and it is one of the rooms along the corridor in front of you – with a perfect view of the park gates / Big Thunder Mountain and the Disneyland Railroad) and I do believe it is ready for you if you would like to use it straight away”. My mouth dropped open and I found myself just nodding (and quite possibly bouncing up and down on the spot a little like a lunatic) before the words “YES! YES PLEASE!! MERCI MERCI MERCI!” all began to ramble out of my mouth.

On our way up to the room, I asked DBF if he needed to stop and rest for a while before we attempted the parks... with a Bacardi Royale... even if it was only just hitting midday (I was reminded that it would only be 11am back at home, but I justified this with “we’re on our holidays... and it’s my birthday... this makes it ok!”). As we sat down out front of Café Fantasia, the pianist was playing classical Disney songs and our faces beamed with happiness – we were home! The waiter came over and I asked for ‘deux Bacardi Royales s’il vous plait’ which was met with a slightly puzzled look and then a return 5 minutes after we ordered with the waiter asking which drink this was on the menu. When we opened the menu to find that Bacardi Royale has been REMOVED – I think I cried inside... fighting back tears on the outside too... The rambling began again when we both assured the waiter that this has always been on the menu, it’s our favourite, why is it not here... please make it come back!!!!! The waiter (quite possibly terrified by the overused words “but why?!”) made a quick exit only to reappear (with a face of relief) to tell us the barmaid knows this drink and she has whipped a couple up for us! WE WERE SAVED!!! DBF told me to try find out the name of this barmaid incase we need her again in the week... I forgot to do this...

We visited the room and freshened up (I ran and pressed my face against the window gawping at the magic of Disney which spread out in front of us) and then we soon made our way into the park.

When we stepped into the park we were in shock. It was 13:30pm and Main Street was deserted. Where was everyone?! Who cares? It’s like our own little playland! Yay! DBF and I decided we would both take a, slow, walk along Discovery Arcade so that our first glimpse of the Castle would be whilst we were practically in front of it – and wow I am so glad we did this. There she was. Le chateau de la belle au bois dormant was shining brightly in front of us for the first time, on my birthday, in 2013. Pixie dust has been sprinkled and we were both at the heart of its magic and wonder.

Feeling the effects of a long drive, the magic of being back in Disney... and perhaps the Bacardi Royale, we both decided that the first thing we would do is take a slow walk along to Adventureland to seek out food at Hakuna Matata (we loved the chicken so much last time and we didn’t want to eat much as we had 6:30pm reservations at Inventions this evening). When we arrived, the queue was literally out of the door – we have found the people of Main Street USA – they are all in here!! DBF said he didn’t mind waiting, but I did. There must be somewhere else, not so crowded, to eat? Oh wait... Pirates of the Caribbean has a 0minutes wait... shall we attempt this? DBF was unsure, but thought he would give it a try – hopefully it wouldn’t hurt or injure him too much... luckily, it never – although it was a little uncomfortable for him, we both loved it and the POTC first-ride-tradition had not been broken! Hurrah!

My friend is, let’s just say very good friends with the characters at Disneyland Paris and she sent me a quick message to tell me that at 2pm (now) Piglet and Rabbit was appearing in front of Cowboy Cookout over in Frontierland. DBF had never seen Rabbit ... or Piglet for that matter, out for Meet and Greets, so we took a walk over to meet them. So cute! We loved seeing the characters out for ‘spontaneous’ meets, this was Disney how we remembered and loved it. After we had our photos taken, DBF and I decided we would give Cowboy Cookout a try – and we were not disappointed! It is AMAZING inside there – we loved the theme, we loved the atmosphere, we loved the food (we had the chicken strips, BBQ sauce, potato wedges and a coke) and there was even a country singer on stage whilst we ate. Too cool!

After lunch, we waved to Mickey and Minnie who were doing Meet and Greets in front of the Cowboy Cookout and we took a walk over to Phantom Manor... en route stopping for me to have a shoot at the Frontierland Shoot-Out Gallery (I love these things). We did stop to take a photo of this... not realising the flash was on my camera... and the whole gallery went insane! One snap of the camera and every target had been hit (by the flash) and everything was going wild. I had no idea what had happened but DBF was in hysterics as he told me I had done all that with my camera... needless to say we had to take another photo... or three (just for kicks). So funny!

We then decided to take it easy and ride a couple of the “operation-friendly” rides in the park... this included Phantom Manor, Le Pays des contes de fees in Storybook Land and then It’s A Small World... we certainly felt like we were living on the edge... but we had so much fun – more so than if we went from coaster to coaster. We loved this side to Disney. It’s a shame it took an operation for us to see it.

After our rides, we took a slow walk out of the park and decided to take a look at the World of Disney Store down in Disney Village. It was absolutely stunning. Everything about it – we loved! Personally, the merchandise in there wasn’t really for us (we prefer Disney Art / Statues / Clothing) but it was all really cute, and huge! We had a good browse before finally, at 16:30pm we realised we hadn’t even unpacked our cases and so we headed back to the Disneyland Hotel to take in the amazing aroma, unpack our bags and shower and change for dinner.

At Inventions we remembered why we loved this place so much. The food was as amazing as always (I especially love the Potato Gratin – it’s my absolute favourite), the Sancerre Wine was to die for, and the character interaction was absolutely incredible. We loved every moment in here. Throughout the meal we met, in order; Goofy, Pluto, Mickey, Tigger and Minnie Mouse. Minnie was absolutely hilarious – she minced over to us all diva-esque waving her hands in a circle above her head like a true star. Brilliant evening and best birthday meal anybody could ever ask for.

After dinner it was now 8:30pm and we went back into the park and walked straight on Buzz Lightyear’s Laser Blast... I am still rather bitter about this one as serious cheating was going on courtesy of a non-moving robot therefore DBF “won” with 122,800 points versus my 56,100 well earned, non cheating, points! Just saying... We did argue this one out all the way to Peter Pan’s Flight where... wait, there’s a queue?! Good job I remembered our Hotel FastPass which made this a complete walk-on ride for us... YAY! I love Peter Pan’s Flight – to me it’s classic Disney and a beautiful ride!

After Peter Pan’s Flight we decided to stop by the Cable Car Shop where I had a coffee and DBF went for a diet coke. It was nice to just sit and relax whilst the hustle and bustle went on outside along Main Street USA. Such a lovely way to rest your legs. Afterwards, we went for a little peruse in the shops along Main Street where we realised we loved every single thing we laid our eyes on... made lots of mental notes of what is where... then swiftly left before the credit card came out... I stopped to take a few photos too as the park looked beautiful...

We then went for a 9:45pm ride on Phantom Manor and let me say, this was REALLY eerie to walk up to. There was nobody around, it was dark, you could hear wolves howling (recorded obviously, but still... creepy) and the Cast Member on the gate was glaring at you as you walked past. Really freaky, but we loved this!

After Phantom Manor we walked out of Frontierland and grabbed a spot in front of the Castle ready to watch Dreams... We were so excited about seeing the new additions of Lion King and Brave, and believe me - they were incredible! We certainly was not disappointed!

After Dreams it was 11pm, we were tired, excited, Disneyfied, exhausted and totally ready for bed. So we followed the crowd along Main Street, back to our hotel (so perfect being able to stay at the entrance to the park, it made everything so much easier and convenient for DBF in his current condition). Once we reached the room (we had to take the lift as DBF had no hope of making the stairs), we gazed out of the window and watched all the guests leaving the park whilst we smiled, B DBF wished me a Happy Birthday and we realised that dreams really do come true.

Day 2 – Thursday 16th May 2013 - Part 1

We were awoken by our alarms at 7:30am... which were soon snoozed and we tried again at 8am. It was a lovely day, “welcome” could be heard on the turnstiles at the gates just below us and – oh my, we’re in Disney!!! Get up, get up, get up!!!!!!

We soon got ready and headed to breakfast (Inventions was busy so we were seated in California Grill – which DBF loves). Eeyore was outside meeting guests, I was busy filling my plate with everything and anything – then pouring maple syrup over it – I was not a pleasant sight.

After breakfast we ventured into the park and took photos in front of the Castle whilst it was still quiet. We then decided to take a re-match on Buzz Lightyear’s Laser Blast (I was still bitter about yesterday) and as we approached the attraction the Cast Member asked if we would take a card and give it to the person who seats us on the ride – the card will be swiped on a reader and will automatically update the wait time for guests to see. I loved this – no, I was actually in AWE of this! I kept saying “so yeah, I’m helping Disney update their wait times” as if I’d just been picked out to meet the Queen or something. So cool.

Oh, DBF “won” again by 341,700 and I had a very respectable (and non-cheating) score of 320,300. We will be back and I will win. Otherwise, I’ll be reporting the ride as broken... obviously!

It was now 9:45am and we wanted to have a look in Disney Studios so we made our way over there just in time for the park to officially open. It was so nice not having to worry about running to queue for Crush (which already had quite the queue) but being able to have a slow stroll (one of us limping) across to the Studio Tram Tour (where we were the first riders of the day).

...we were also quite possibly the last riders of the day too... it broke down... a lot... The ride was then closed after us to be fixed – still, it was nice breaking down in time to watch the Moteurs Action Stunt Show Cars doing their practice drives. They were all waving to us and beeping at us. So cool to watch (probably better than the ride itself which needs some serious love and attention given to it).

When we made it off the Studio Tram Tour it was 10:40am and just in time for Animagique. You have to love this show, so cute and colourful. It was good for DBF to be able to sit down comfortably too.

Afterwards we made our way to Cinémagique and walked straight in there and watched my favourite show in the resort! And this has been updated with new faces appearing in the doors scene towards the end. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!!!!! I was in my element – DBF isn’t a huge fan of this show, but he pacified me... bless him!

It was now 12 o’clock midday and we were done at Disney Studios as there wasn’t much that DBF and I could enjoy together in that park ride-wise, so we ventured back over to the Disneyland Park. When we entered, we were greeted by a host of familiar faces out for Meet and Greet including Geppetto, Tigger, Chip & Dale and Pluto. We had another famous face we wanted to meet – and our friend just happened to be a VERY good friend of this character too *wink* - DUFFY!! It was sooo lovely to see Duffy and he, quite literally, ran at us with a huge hug and kisses before posing for a lovely group photo...

We had Blue Lagoon reservations at 13:15, but we had just enough time to squeeze in a quick ride on Pirates of the Caribbean (DBF said it would be fitting and get us in the mood / atmosphere for the meal). We had the most delicious/divine meal ever. I love the Blue Lagoon. The waitress couldn’t do enough for us (although she did get confused at one point with me speaking in French and DBF speaking in English – she couldn’t work out who was from where, bless her). DBF had the chicken curry, and I went for the Grilled Swordfish (which was to die for)... along with a nice cold bottle of Sancerre. The perfect afternoon lunch.

After lunch, we headed back down to Main Street to see if our good friend, Duffy, was still about – and that he was! We had a lovely time telling him all about our lunch and receiving lots of cuddles (Duffy knows he’s my favourite). The photos came out beautifully. I was a happy bunny! We both were!

We then walked back towards the Castle and noticed that the Celebration Train was out and there wasn’t many people meeting the characters – a perfect opportunity for a few photo-ops with Chip, Dale and Goofy in their 20th Anniversary Outfits (love these by the way)!

We then took a slow walk through the park to soak up the Disney atmosphere and saw Baloo, Sherriff of Nottingham, Eeyore, Pinocchio & Gepetto, Suzy & Perla all out for meet and greets in Fantasyland. It was so nice watching the children meeting the characters. It really makes it a magical experience to just sit and people-watch in Disney.

It was now 4:30pm and DBF was struggling to walk any further. My solution to this was to suggest a sneaky visit to Café Fantasia back in the Disneyland Hotel for a Bacardi Royale. DBF gratefully obliged and back we went... meeting Pinocchio in reception along the way!

Whilst we were enjoying our cocktail, discussing how delicious lunch was and grinning ear-to-ear about our fantastic day, I received a message from my friend hinting that they were going to be very close *wink* to Gideon and Pinocchio in Storybook Land in an hour or so. We naturally made sure that we got there – and we had plenty of fun with both when we arrived! Gideon was hilarious – and he even tried out some kung-fu moves on me... I soon retreated to Casey Junior’s Train (even though Gideon did try and follow us on).

After Casey Jnr, we rode Le Pays des Contes de fees (DBF really enjoys this little boat ride – it is really peaceful and charming).

We then had just enough time to grab a Chocolat Chaud from Cable Car Store and got into position (facing the Castle) to watch the Parade. The parade was as magical as we remembered and it was lovely to see the gorgeous 20th Anniversary costumes and floats with the Castle gleaming proudly behind them. So magical. So beautiful. So perfect.

After the parade, DBF was willing to attempt Big Thunder Mountain (there was only a 15minute queue). We love Big Thunder Mountain, it’s always been a huge favourite – but this one time was probably enough (if not too much) for DBF right now. He was glad he managed to do it, but he wouldn’t be able to ride anything like this again whilst healing – oh well, we’ll just have to book to come back again later in the year to do it ;-) . Oh, by the way, Big Thunder Mountain now gets you wet! This confused us a lot! At the top of the first mountain rise, you go through a mini-waterfall! We couldn’t believe how wet we got – on Big Thunder Mountain!!! WHAT??!?! It was blooming cold too! Haha

Coming off Big Thunder Mountain we couldn’t resist taking a photo of the Shoot-Out and watching it go insane at us again, before walking away in hysterics... simple things! You have to try it when you next visit – there’s something REALLY entertaining about watching the whole thing go off at once by the click of a camera... Honestly there is...

We decided to see if we could get in to Walt’s for dinner this evening, but when we arrived we were told that it was reservation only and that they were only open for dinner from 5:30pm onwards. A little disheartened that we wouldn’t be able to eat there on this visit, we decided the next time we came we would make sure we booked in – and then headed over to Adventureland where Colonel Hathi’s was open for business.

DBF had never eaten in Colonel Hathi’s but loved the theme, the atmosphere and even the food. The pizza, salad, garlic bread, dessert and drink was really good value and it certainly wasn’t small either. Neither of us could finish the meals.

Feeling really full, a little chilly and in need of something Disneyfied and relaxing – we took a slow walk through Adventureland admiring the beautiful scenery, taking plenty of photos along the way, before walking into Fantasyland where again we just strolled through the land taking in the magical little touches and gorgeous views. Then taking a quick ride on It’s A Small World (has to be done when in Fantasyland).

After It’s A Small World we walked through to Discoveryland where there was a 0 minute wait for Buzz Lightyear’s Laser Blast and I decided that this was the one where I would, deservedly, win!... Oh, and I did! I won with 158,400 points versus DBF’s 76,100. He claimed his gun wasn’t working – I pointed out that it clearly was or else he would have zero points, I just won fair and square! It’s really worrying how competitive you can get on this ride though, seriously! I was challenged to a re-match but I took my crown and retired with it and instead we went to get a Hot Chocolate from the Cable Car Shop, I took a few more photos on Main Street and then we stood in place, at the foot of the Castle, for Dreams.

For the first time ever, I watched Dreams without taking my camera out of my pocket. I saw so many things I never noticed before and it all seemed more magical than ever before. Day 2 in Disney was certainly sprinkled with Pixie Dust, and it only left us only hungry for more.

Day 3 – Friday 17th May 2013 - Part 1

This morning we had a super lay-in, by Disney standards anyway. We didn’t have breakfast until 8:30am. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get used to sitting for breakfast and looking out of the window straight at the Castle winking back at me in the distance. There is something remarkable and whimsical about it. Aaaah, sighs...

We managed to eat breakfast and be in the park for 9am, still taking us an hour ahead of the crowds. As we had done all we wanted, and physically could for DBF’s condition, we decided that today we were going to take it really easy and just enjoy the day. I had booked a birthday treat for DBF of a Guided Tour this afternoon which we were both excited about. So we started the day with a slow walk towards the Castle then ventured our way upstairs into the Castle and looked at all the magnificent detail it had to offer. It really is spectacular and the detail is second-to-none (for example the fireplace has black-burn marks on the stone as if it really had been lit).

After our exploration of the Castle, and our visit to see the Dragon, we went to Alice’s Curious Labyrinth where we took our time to look at absolutely everything inside, and get a little lost in the maze too.

As we came out of the Labyrinth it was now 10:00am, the park was officially open and just in front of It’s A Small World we were greeted by Donald, Pluto, Suzy and Perla.

We then made our way to Phantom Manor (which seemed darker than usual – literally, you could hardly see a thing, even Madamme Leotta was like a game of hide and seek!) and afterwards took a trip on board Molly Brown (I love all things boats so I always love a visit here).

We needed a little sit down and were a bit thirsty so we went for a Hot Chocolate at Gibson Girl and sat by the window gazing out at the hustle and bustle of Main Street with the Castle shadowing us.

We then decided to walk out to see Disney Village and have a nose in the shops (on our way out we noticed Mary Poppins and her Penguins were doing a Meet and Greet by the Band Stand).

Disney Village felt a little unloved. We were sad to see it so quiet, so empty; a lot of places closed and in real need of a revamp. I hope this doesn’t become a forgotten area for Disney... I used to love it here.

Not being able to take in anymore Disney Village sadness, we went back to the park and had lunch at Hakuna Matata (we love their chicken strips... or “chicken stips” as the sign says...)

After lunch we had a walk around the park. In Fantasyland there were lots of characters out and about including Hook, Smee, Peter Pan, Wendy, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. It was so lovely to see characters roaming so freely and spontaneously like old times. It really does add to the magic of Disney.

We decided we were getting really hot with the sun beating down on us (that’s right – the weather was glorious) so we took a stroll back to our room to take our coats back. We then went back to the park and met up with our friend where we had a lovely chat and a catch-up. It was lovely.

It was now 2pm and we were at City Hall ready for our Guided Tour of the park! Oh my, this certainly was the moment we had been waiting for! We were told there would be three other people on the tour with us so we had to wait for them as they had not yet arrived... after 15minutes of waiting, they were declared as “no-shows” and we had our own private 2 hour tour of the Disneyland Park from Maarten. Maarten was extremely knowledgeable and has worked for Disneyland Paris for over 11 years, it’s his passion and his love. He started off at the park entrance and we spent the first hour and 15minutes just in Main Street USA hearing all the stories behind the street façades, the reason the electricity cables were showing in the Kodak store (electricity was expensive at the turn of the century so people who had it would proudly display it), we were told that all the items on show were real and not props... we listened into phone conversations... it was wonderful. We were then taken to Frontierland where we were told the reason the entrance is a fort (to keep the Indians who camp their tents in front of it out) – but the gates open at 10am each day as Buffalo Bill is in talks with the Indians to keep the peace (although the villagers are still frightened, thus the need for the two fort gates). We were shown around Phantom Manor and Boot Hill.

We were then told that Frontierland is actually three locations in one. There’s the Wild West side which is Phantom Manor right up to Big Thunder Mountain... there it becomes Mexican in its theme... then from the Cowboy Cookout onwards it is an Amish area whereby people would live off the land... we also learned why the buildings were painted red (made me a little queasy).

We were fascinated. In fact, the story that fascinated us the most was the story of the Big Thunder Mining Company train just in front of Big Thunder Mountain. This is no prop either. This is a real train. Walt Disney was well known for his love of trains, therefore the Disney Parks like to pay homage to this. Disney were out searching for train memorabilia for the park in the USA when they came across this train which an elderly gentleman had in his yard. They asked him if they could buy it from him to place in the Disneyland Park, to which he replied “I have fought and survived two wars, I have love and happiness, I don’t need money. When I proposed to my wife, I didn’t have a ring and we didn’t even go on a honeymoon – I am not interested in selling this for any money. Memories are more important to me” Disney then asked what he would take for it, if anything, to which he answered “we have never been on holiday together in all the years we have been married, that would be my dream”. The man was granted unlimited access and stay to EVERY Disney Park across the Globe in trade for the train – sadly the gentleman no longer lives, but that is how this beautiful train – which thousands walk past daily without a second glance – came to be here in Disneyland Paris.

We were then shown around Adventureland, inside Colonel Hathi’s (which is Maarten’s favourite place in the Disneyland Park). We were showing that on the Adventureland entrance sign is a little hidden Disney piece... look closely and you will see WDI (Walt Disney Imagineers).

Also, have you noticed the giant egg on the top of Adventureland? I never did before now...

Through Fantasyland we were shown the clear divide in countries with the rides in their respective areas... you have to walk across a subtle bridge to get to Peter Pan’s Flight / Alice’s Labyrinth as United Kingdom is its own island. And Dumbo is surrounded by water because the USA is across the water from Europe. So clever. We were then shown Hidden Mickey’s in the area and told where to find them in the resort before being taken across to Discoveryland to be shown inside Star Tours behind the scenes. Unfortunately the simulator was out of service so we couldn’t see it in action, but we still got up close in the control room and saw it on its stand. So cool!

At the end of the most amazing two hour 20minute tour (Maarten said he always goes over time as he has so much to say about this beautiful place) we were both given a Special Guided Tour Pin Badge to keep as a souvenir...

After the tour we made our way back to the Disneyland Hotel for a Bacardi Royale so we could sit and talk about everything we had just seen and learnt. We were in complete awe and wonder of Disneyland Paris – more so than ever before. It made us craving to learn more... the drinks were delicious too, so much that we ordered a second round!

At 5:20pm we made our way into Fantasyland and walked straight onto the Snow White ride. I had no idea how dark and scary this ride is... it’s dark enough for adults, children must be terrified. We needed a round of It’s A Small World after that one, just to bring us back to Disney and take the scary witch out of our minds.

Coming out of It’s A Small World we managed to bump into Suzy and Perla (a good friend of ours) for one of my favourite photos before we headed back to the hotel to get ready for dinner.

We arrived at Inventions at 6:30pm (I was nervous as I had pre-booked a surprise cake for DBF’s birthday and didn’t want him working this out) where we sat and ordered a lovely bottle of Sancerre before seconds later Tigger and Pluto came racing around the corner to greet us!

The food really is delicious here. I simply cannot praise it enough and, for us, it is worth every penny. You certainly cannot go hungry, the character interaction is second-to-none, you can eat all you like and the staff are phenomenal and simply cannot do enough to help.
Soon enough, Minnie came around the corner and recognised us from Wednesday evening and kept waving at us cheekily, blowing us kisses and hugging us. She was a real star and so much fun.

We then met Eeyore, Mickey himself came to say Hello, Donald Duck and then Goofy... who was in brilliant character.

Goofy came over, told us off for drinking wine and then made fun of me (which Mickey saw and started telling him off). Mickey and Goofy then put on a hilarious show where Mickey told Goofy he was naughty and Goofy was being all silly. Everyone in the restaurant found it hilarious, needless to say we were a little red (why are we always at the centre of these things?! LOL). Goofy apologised to us, gave us a hug and then stole my camera... which he wanted me to turn on and decided he would try out becoming a photographer (in true Goofy style too). He took some hysterical, unflattering, photos of us before taking, actually, a really nice one of me and DBF. Thanks Goofy! We loved that we had a photo together – taken by Goofy himself!

DBF then told me he was going to get some dessert. I panicked and told him I needed to run to the toilet first and I need him to look after my camera and wallet at the table... I tracked down our waitress and told her we were ready for the cake and she said “I am so glad you came over to me, I wasn’t sure who the cake was for and I didn’t want to ask and ruin the surprise” at the point Goofy snuck up behind me and I told him we had a surprise cake coming – to which he high-fived me and gave me the thumbs up! As I sat back down, the music played and along came the cake followed by Goofy pointing at DBF and running at him to dance next to him. DBF was so embarrassed... and shocked, it was worth every penny, every moment of planning and all the worry about hiding it from him. Afterwards, Mickey and Eeyore came over to wish DBF a Happy Birthday. It was so cute.

We finally left Inventions two bottles of wine later at 9:30pm where we headed for an eerie ride of Phantom Manor and then set up our spot for the last time we would get to see Dreams. And it was absolutely perfect.

Day 4 – Saturday 18th May 2013

We both woke up this morning with a sad face knowing that our time is Disney was quickly coming to an end. It was 7:15 and we were determined to be in the park for opening at 8am. So we quickly packed our cases, got ourselves washed and ready and made our way to breakfast.

I am pleased to say, we made it in the park for exactly 8am. We were among the first to walk on Main Street and it was lovely to have that feeling that the park is ours.

We decided we would do our final rides this morning as we knew the park would soon get crowded being a weekend (and boy were we right). Our first stop was Dumbo... we rode this twice (why not?!)...

We then had our final ride of Peter Pan’s Flight (waved to London and then felt a pang of sadness knowing we would be there in person later on today) and then made our way to Discoveryland where we had a ride of Orbitron (yup, this does make me feel really giddy and sick – I don’t think I’ll do this anymore).

It was now 8:40am and we needed to settle some scores and so we had a ride of Buzz Lightyear’s Laser Blast... and WOOO, I won!!!!!! I came out with 145,600 points versus DBF’s 103,300. This meant that we drew on this trips score. Both winning twice. I was asked for a re-match, I said it’s probably safer for the pair of us to just call it a tie LOL. I can’t be held responsible for my actions if I lose...

I love that I am still shooting my laser gun in this photo... Clearly I wasn’t playing to lose...

We then visited the Market House Deli for a Hot Chocolate where we sat for around 30minutes just watching the crowds walk by. It was lovely, nostalgic and also a little sad to think we were going to be leaving all of this today.

After the Hot Chocolate we hit the shops to buy all of the lovely things we had looked at throughout our stay. Whilst in Harringtons Store I really loved a 20th Anniversary Pin Display with a sketch of the resort in the background and then 12 pins with the characters in their anniversary clothes attached to it, beautifully framed with a limited edition of 600... As a birthday gift – DBF bought it for me. I was speechless. I still am to be honest. It is so generous and beautiful.

With all of our shopping purchased, I told DBF to sit down and rest whilst I took all the bags back to the hotel. I then ran back and we were in line for Pirates of the Caribbean at 10am... where we already had a 30minute queue!

After POTC, we walked to Frontierland to queue for the Disneyland Railroad which DBF really wanted to go on (it’s his favourite attraction in the resort), but it was closed for boarding – exit only. The same for Fantasyland. Sad times ahead.

It was soon midday and we found ourselves in Frontierland outside the Lucky Nugget Saloon. We were seated right away and this was certainly the best quick-service meal of the trip for me. For €16.99 each we had the BBQ Rib Rack with fries and onion rings, unlimited refill on coke, plus a chocolate sundae ice cream with brownie pieces inside it – all with a fun western barber-shop quartet-style show in front of us. We loved it. I love all things Western so for me, this was the place to be! I will be returning!

We then took a walk along to the Castle but DBF was struggling to walk so we sat down on the bench, at the foot of the Castle, looking down Main Street USA with the sun beating on us – and it was glorious. We must have sat here for 25minutes just resting in the sun, people-watching. We enjoyed watching the Celebration Train from the bench – and I was even able to grab a quick photo with Minnie in her outfit.

It was just gone 2pm and we decided to say our Goodbyes to Disney and head back down Main Street to the park gates... where DBF noticed the wait time for the Disneyland Railroad was showing as 10minutes. I couldn’t say no to the one attraction he wanted to do after the pain and struggle he had gone through just being here this week, so we queued... and we queued... and we queued... 10minutes turned into 15... 15 turned into 20... 20 turned into 30... 35minutes later we were on the train and we were not getting off for love nor money. We had a final circuit of the park (which actually was a really lovely end to our visit) and at 3pm, with the Celebration Train beginning and Mickey Mouse waving to us from the train – we were finally saying Goodbye to the magic.

Back in the Disneyland Hotel we collected our luggage, ventured glumly out to the Valet where a man took my ticket and soon came around the corner driving my car (I still couldn’t get used to seeing my car in the hands of another person) and we loaded up and sadly – made our way out. Not before stopping at Santa Fe’s Petrol Station to refuel for the journey home.

We made it back to Calais over an hour ahead of schedule and so we popped into Cité Europe where I bought “Wreck-it Ralph” on Blu-Ray... even though it doesn’t come out in the UK until June! This really impressed me and made leaving Disney slightly more bearable... before driving to the Eurotunnel and making our way back home to London.

No matter how old you are, what condition you’re in or where in the world you come from – Disneyland Paris is still magical, exciting, relaxing and all it really did take was faith and trust, oh, and a little bit of pixie dust!

What a fantastic trip report, your love for the park shines through. So glad that you had such a fabulous trip, the photos are superb, the hotel, cast members, birthday cake everything sounds perfect, I loved reading it.

Oh and well done on the driving :thumbsup2

Oh Adam what a fantastic trip report :wizard:.
It makes me want to go back to The Magic right now!
How is your BF recovering now from his operation?

Oh, what a lovely trip report :goodvibes

It's lovely that you managed to take your time and just enjoy the park without rushing around everywhere. That's the benefit of frequent visits ;)

Hope your DBF is recovering well - he did really well managing a DLP trip so soon after an operation :hug:

I'm sure your next trip won't be far away :)

What a fantastic trip report, your love for the park shines through. So glad that you had such a fabulous trip, the photos are superb, the hotel, cast members, birthday cake everything sounds perfect, I loved reading it.

Oh and well done on the driving :thumbsup2

Thank you!! We had such an amazing time we really did - we both love the resort so much, even more so (if that's possible) after the guided tour!

I still cannot believe how easy the drive was!

Oh Adam what a fantastic trip report :wizard:.
It makes me want to go back to The Magic right now!
How is your BF recovering now from his operation?

Thank you Elaine!! He was a real trooper out there, he really was. He is doing well, he's just in a lot of constant pain (I think we'll be back up the hospital soon if this carries on). Xx

Oh, what a lovely trip report :goodvibes

It's lovely that you managed to take your time and just enjoy the park without rushing around everywhere. That's the benefit of frequent visits ;)

Hope your DBF is recovering well - he did really well managing a DLP trip so soon after an operation :hug:

I'm sure your next trip won't be far away :)

Hey you! Thank you - we really did have a fab time!

You're right, these frequent visits really did help - we didn't miss a single thing about the rollercoasters - in fact it was so lovely being able to leisurely stroll through the resort we said we would always make time to do this on future visits!

He really did do well surviving DLP - I don't think it was easy for him, but at least he had a lovely time too.

You're certainly right about a next trip not being far away... We've already booked to go back on 13 November LOL!!!!!!

What great photos :goodvibes, love the story of the train...but tell me why are the buildings painted red?

K

I'm in love with your trip report! It's beautifully written, and your photos are fantastic! So glad you had a lovely time! :cloud9:

A few questions:
If you don't mind saying, what type of camera do you use? Your night/Dreams photos are perfect!

Do the anniversary train characters just hop off the the train by the gate near Small World? Would love for DS to meet them.

The tour you took...is that something you have to prebook, or can we check in with City Hall upon arrival and see what's available?

:goodvibes

Great tr and love your pics. We were in dlh for the (non) descent on the stairs on thursday :) got pics with pinocchio too and also got pics with mary poppins on friday we were lucky to see her coming and got 2nd in line :)
Small world eh :confused3

I have seen you a couple of time in the park.
I saw you waiting for Suzy and Perla (i was waiting for the parade in the disabled spot)

You saw so many random character walking around. You guys are so lucky

Wow! What a fun time you had! Really enjoyed your trip report - I really felt like I was there with you and it has made me even more excited (if possible!:rotfl:) for our forthcoming trip to DLP.

So glad you had a good time despite DBF being in so much pain - I do hope he is soon on the mend and pain free.

Have you got a photo of the "20th Anniversary Pin Display with a sketch of the resort in the background and then 12 pins with the characters in their anniversary clothes attached to it" that DBF bought you from Harringtons?? Sounds amazing!!

I tried in vain to get shots of Dreams last year (like you I missed so much of the show) and all my shots were hopeless. Your Dreams photos are simply the best I've seen! How did you set up your camera?? Thanks:thumbsup2

What a wonderful trip you had and so magical for your boyfriend's birthday! Your photographs were brilliant - I have just smiled my way through the whole report - it is making me long for my trip! Thank you so much for sharing!

I hope your boyfriend is making a good recovery!

What great photos :goodvibes, love the story of the train...but tell me why are the buildings painted red?

K

They are to represent slaughter houses as the Amish would kill their own food... It just made me feel all queasy lol I'm not good with things like that... I like to think that meat comes from supermarkets, nowhere else lol I'm the worst hypocrite ever I know lol

I'm in love with your trip report! It's beautifully written, and your photos are fantastic! So glad you had a lovely time! :cloud9:

A few questions:
If you don't mind saying, what type of camera do you use? Your night/Dreams photos are perfect!

Do the anniversary train characters just hop off the the train by the gate near Small World? Would love for DS to meet them.

The tour you took...is that something you have to prebook, or can we check in with City Hall upon arrival and see what's available?

:goodvibes

Thank you so much - I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

My camera is nothing special at all - it is a simple Nikon Coolpix S8200. I just turn the flash off for all my nighttime photos to get a softer and nicer shot.

The anniversary train stops in front of the castle and the characters disembark there for photos... If you want Mickey or Minnie they will stand on the first turning by the green on the right (if you were facing the castle) - Donald and Daisy are on the second turning on right (closer to Plaza Gardens)... Clarice, Chip and Dale are at the turning on the left just by Frontierland... And Pluto and Goofy the turning on the left en route to Adventureland. It's good to go stand there before the character arrives and you'll be able to get your photo and go before any scrum.

The tour you can book on the day at city hall or make your reservation via email (no charge till the day itself) by emailing DLP.RELATIONS.VIP@disney.com

Great tr and love your pics. We were in dlh for the (non) descent on the stairs on thursday :) got pics with pinocchio too and also got pics with mary poppins on friday we were lucky to see her coming and got 2nd in line :)
Small world eh :confused3

Glad you enjoyed! Oh wow - I'm glad it wasn't just me who was confused when the characters ran out of the side door LOL. Fantastic that you got pix with Mary Poppins too! It was so packed when we saw her that we knew we wouldn't get close!

I have seen you a couple of time in the park.
I saw you waiting for Suzy and Perla (i was waiting for the parade in the disabled spot)

You saw so many random character walking around. You guys are so lucky

Oh wow. Were you sitting on the side by It's A Small World or the family sitting the opposite side? Bless DBF as he limped over to them LOL

Wow! What a fun time you had! Really enjoyed your trip report - I really felt like I was there with you and it has made me even more excited (if possible!:rotfl:) for our forthcoming trip to DLP.

So glad you had a good time despite DBF being in so much pain - I do hope he is soon on the mend and pain free.

Have you got a photo of the "20th Anniversary Pin Display with a sketch of the resort in the background and then 12 pins with the characters in their anniversary clothes attached to it" that DBF bought you from Harringtons?? Sounds amazing!!

I tried in vain to get shots of Dreams last year (like you I missed so much of the show) and all my shots were hopeless. Your Dreams photos are simply the best I've seen! How did you set up your camera?? Thanks:thumbsup2

Hey! Glad you enjoyed the TR and thank you for the lovely words! We had a wonderful time and its nice being able to share the magic :)

I do have photos - I will get them posted for you to see. It is a gorgeous little display!... Here you go:-

I literally just used a simple digital camera, took the flash off, and waited for my favourite parts of the show before I snapped away.

What a wonderful trip you had and so magical for your boyfriend's birthday! Your photographs were brilliant - I have just smiled my way through the whole report - it is making me long for my trip! Thank you so much for sharing!

I hope your boyfriend is making a good recovery!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, bless you :) thank you! Your trip will be around soon enough and you're gonna have an absolutely amazing time - it's definitely getting more and more magical with every return visit!!

Wowsers - great trip report. We are heading to DLP for the first time in September (coming from Australia) and I get a little worried when I read about people not enjoying themselves.

You have totally reignited my spirit for the trip and I hope to have half as much fun as you both did.

Sally xo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter