Who remembers these Universal things?

Sadly, the Hi Tones are gone-

There is a girl group out there now.

I just happened to be in Florida on business one of the 1st weeks it was opened back in the 80's.

As soon as we walked in, they gave us all a complimentary ticket to come back again good forever.

Earthquake was only in the first section. The tram was not working. And the first section (in the thearter) was a pretty long show compared to now.

Jaws actually worked and worked well. I later heard that they redid it because it never worked.

On ET, our car got stuck just as it entered the disembark area. They had to call maintenance to find out why our car did not go the last 10 feet. It was kind of funny listening to them guess. "I think if I press this switch it'll move". They were right, and it did.

King Kong was not operating.

It's come a long way. Boy am I glad it has. I'll be there in November.

Eric

Well, the only things I don't remember from Barry's list are:

Extra Crispy
The old Jaws - can someone tell me what's different. I'm sure I must have done it.
Spice Island Sausages - ?!

We've been twice since IoA and CityWalk have opened and we always stand there and say 'Remember when this was the parking lot?' and try to work out where everything was. When we went in '98 I0A and CW were under construction and the multi-storey parking lot and moving walkways were in-situ.

Spice Island Wings and Fries used to sell sausage sandwiches. Extra Crispy used to pop up around Mardi Gras, but I haven't seen them in years.

I remember all these things :)

I've always felt very privileged to have been able to ride the original Jaws twice! My own personal opinion will always be that the original was better too.
I even saw 2 different incarnations of the Ghostbusters show...it was a fun show actually, but Twister is better.

I got to see Swamp Thing in all his makeup once while down there, and that was very cool for me cause I loved that show.

Now here's the thing--I remember before Herc and Xena--The Murder She Wrote show....very similar type but still fun too. "The Black Pearl! <faints>"

The Dynamite Stunt Spectacular rocked, I even loved watching them practice on the lake. That boathouse explosion at the end was very cool.

I have some great shots of the Bates Motel and the Psycho House, pictures of the old Hard Rock Cafe...

Only thing I don't remember is Extra Crispy...dang didn't realize I'd been going there so long!

I believe Chris Kirkpatrick, currently a member of 'NSYNC, was once a member of the Do-Wop group that sang in front of Mel's.

Nan

Yes, Chris was a hollywood hi Tone, and Joey was Wolfie-

I remember someone was selling a tape of them during their Universal years on eBay.

Has Notatourist been going to Universal since she was knee-high to a grasshopper? :)

Add to the IOA list...I remember and MISS the adventure guy :( He was a highlight of our December trip and greatly missed last month. Also had a meal at Confisco's where they were offering express passes if you had a meal there...I wish they would just bring the characters back. The food was great but we sure did miss the characters.
I remember the GB show! I miss that too. Great thread, Barry. Thanks for the memories.

We (DM and myself) went to Universal Studios Flordia about four days after it first opened... we got free tickets to come back (good for one year) due to the fact that none of the rides werre working right and everything kept breaking down....

Does anyone remember I Love Lucy Tribute (is this still there?)

I do miss the Hitchcock Display..... the great gift shop where you could pick up Bates Motel items!!!! I also lost our camera here....

:(

I prefer the lack of audience participation in the stage set, anyone else feel that way?
I also wish they'd do away with it in the Earthquake stage set...

but maybe thats just me :jester:

I too remember most of things people are posting. We were also there when it first opened. We also received free tickets. I do remember that one day, when it first opened, there was a live taping of (I believe) Pyscho 2. We did get to meet Anthony Perkins and watch while they were taping. We just happened to catch this walking over to the old Hard Rock Cafe. We go every year or at least every other year and it sure is fun to see the changes. And try to remember what was there before.

Ah the days when they shot Psycho on the backlot...sigh...

The Good Old Days....

Originally posted by Notatourist
Barry, let's just put it this way...

Yes.

I think you ought to get a job at Universal. I think you ought to try out for Princess Amora in the Sinbad show. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter