Who thinks MGM needs a good restaurant?

llebrekniT

I did know once, only I've forgotten
Has anyone ever had a good meal at MGM?

I have a thread on this forum that asks what the worst meal you ever had was and it has reminded me over and over that there aren't any good options at MGM. It's my 2nd favorite park, next to MK and besides SCI-FI drive-in there isn't anywhere that we like to eat. Forget about a good sit-down meal, you might as well settle for one of the typical Disney brown thingies they call a burger over by Indiana Jones, at least they have a toppings bar to cover up the taste.

One time we stopped by The Brown Derby to look at the menu out front. The host who was stationed there took one look at our kids and suggested "if you're looking for somewhere to eat with the kids, you might try Hollywood and Vine". :eek: Our kids are very well behaved and know how to act in restaurants, but we left anyway. We've had H&V, 50's Prime-Time-for-an-upset-stomach-Cafe and have not heard much that's good about Mama's.

I sooooooo wish that Disney would do something @ MGM, preferably with characters. Anyone out there agree?

I'm with you llebrekinT. I really want to try Mama Melrose's, but I have read so many bad reviews (with a few good thrown in here & there) that I'm afraid to try it. :(

Wow, I'm not the only one who thinks this. We have tried various restaurants in MGM and haven't been impressed enough to want to try any of the places again. We did have a very good lunch at Mama Melrose's but they have changed the menu since then and they took off the things we enjoyed there. When we visit MGM we generally snack and then head over to another park or the Boardwalk area to dine. There are those who love certain spots in MGM but I still think it would be nice for them to add something new.

Wow, I was surprised by this thread and the responses to it! Why? Because MGM actually has one of my favorite restaurants... maybe my all-time favorite park restaurant, and that's the Prime Time 50's Diner. I've actually left other parks to come over, have a meal here, and then go back to the other park (especially The Magic Kingdom, which I've always found majorly lacking in the "good eats" departement). That said, there's not much else I like over at MGM food wise. I've tried Sci Fi and found it overpriced and rather bland (although they have killer milkshakes and great themeing). Otherwise, I generally get a smoked turkey leg to munch on if I'm hungry while waiting for Fantasmic.

Richard

This surpised me too, as MGM dining is one of our favorites! We loved Brown Derby (both with and with out the kids), Starring Rolls can't be beat for counter service, Our experience at Mama Melrose has always been good, this last August trip even 50's was WONDERFUL, and we never, never, never miss Sci-Fi; a tradition with our family.

Having said that, I'm always in favor of a new addition, gives me another excuse to eat ;)

ttfn--
k

I'm surprised too. We're not fans of Prime Time or H&V but have had many good meals at Brown Derby and Mama Melrose. Mama Melrose also has wonderful service and we've always had good service at Brown Derby too. Try these spots before you give up on MGM dining.

llebrekniT, that's really a shame that you encountered such a snit at the podium at BD. We've been dining there since MGM opened and our children were still young then. Give it another try someday. Try Mama Melrose too....we always have a nice relaxing lunch there on an MGM day...often more than once per trip. And regular old spaghetti is always available there too even if it's not on the menu for those who are just looking for that kind of Italian food.

While I agree that I like many of the choices found at MGM, I'm always up for something new! Although I don't care for BD, we've had good success at 50's PTC, Mama Melrose's and Sci-Fi.

I second the plea for a decent place at MK! There are only a few sit down restaurants (hard to get into last minute) and most counter service offer the same thing! I think it has more to do with where you're at when you're hungry at this park. Because MGM is so much easier to criss cross, you can eat anywhere at any time. We often leave MK before it's time to eat because of the lack of good choices.

Actually it has never really bothered me that most of the eateries in MGM suck, because I rarely spend a whole day there so I can grab my nice lunch at Sci-Fi and then grab dinner at one of the resorts.

But, I would not complain if the jetisoned 50's Prime Time and put in a real restarant, preferably one where the food is edible and the help is not given carte blanche to scream at the customers.

We have never had a bad meal at the MGM restaurants we have tried, and we have eaten at a number of them on multiple occasions. We have had great meals at Brown Derby, 50's Prime Time, Mama Melrose, and Sci-Fi. We have eaten at H&V once, and although it was not one of our favorite meals, we left there full, satisfied and without complaint. The kitsch at 50's and Sci-Fi can't be beat and when we dine at them we love the entertainment as much as the food!

We have eaten at Mama Melrose 6 times since 1995 and love it. We did have 1 disappointing meal there, but gave it another chance last month and they redeemed themselves. ;) Going back in Dec for #7 and probably in July too for #8.

The Brown Derby is my new fave park restaurant....sure kids can go there!!:)

We love the HBD. We would eat at the Prime Time or Sci Fi without a second thought.

We've never had a bad meal at the Studios, and would eat at Brown Derby, Sci-Fi or '50s Prime Time any time!

I do think they could use a character meal but we love BD. Never had a problem bringing the kids there.

Two of our best meals in 10 days were the Brown Derby and Primetime Cafe. There were plenty of kids in the Brown Derby when we did the fantasmic package. I like the Sci-Fi decor, but the food was so-so.

We really enjoyed our Brown Derby lunch. 2 yo DD was with us and seemed very welcome. She had some Mickey shaped macaroni and cheese that she enjoyed and we really enjoyed our food. I can't remember all our choices, but I know I had one of their salads that was very yummy! :) I felt very relaxed and refreshed after our BD meal.

Now I was upset they took away the H&V character meal. Minnie was sooooo adorable in her starlit gown!

we have enjoyed BD , MM and SCI-FI but would still love to see a really good character meal at mgm, my vote would be for a muppets character meal over by the 3-d muppet theatre, complete with the swedish chef;)
kathe

Our 8 year old twins were quite welcome, and Mom & Dad got a fantastic meal and great service. A tad expensive but the quality of the entrees make it a very good value.;)

We love love love Sci Fi...it's a must-do for our family every trip.

The character breakfast at H&V was also a must-do for us, and we miss it a lot. If MGM gets a new character breakfast, we'll be very happy with MGM meal choices once again.

The only places we really enjoy at MGM anymore are Prime Time and Starring Rolls. We have never had a bad meal at Prime Time but only eat lunch there as their dinner menu doesn't appeal to us and is overpriced. Had terrible meals at Mama Melrose's and Brown Derby. The fast food and cafeteria style service has a lot to be desired, especially the pizza place. I am always amazed to read glowing reviews on the Brown Derby as our experience there was the worst of any WDW restaurant we have ever eaten at. Hollywood and Vine wasn't bad but not memorable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter