Why do they close down the lazy river and pools so early??!!

I see both sides of this. I have fond memories of night swimming with my parents on vacations as a kid. But at Aulani- and this is just personally, 1) all of us from the states are gaining hours in time and up earlier than usual- I couldn't make in the pool past 8. We go to dinner at sunset usually. 2) It is lovely to have a tranquil resort in the evening with the balconies open and not the sounds of water play. Maybe having it open later on Fri Sat night would nice or Sat and Weds or something.

I see both sides of this. I have fond memories of night swimming with my parents on vacations as a kid. But at Aulani- and this is just personally, 1) all of us from the states are gaining hours in time and up earlier than usual- I couldn't make in the pool past 8. We go to dinner at sunset usually. 2) It is lovely to have a tranquil resort in the evening with the balconies open and not the sounds of water play. Maybe having it open later on Fri Sat night would nice or Sat and Weds or something.

I have to agree with the first part. We are here now and we are exhausted by 8pm here, probably due to the fact we are from out east. It's kind of nice to head back to the room and relax on the balcony without a whole lot of noise.

Does anybody remember what time the pool closes in September?

We went in February and my kids were in the kids club until nine. All the pools were DEAD after 5. I walked around with my 8 year old one night around 7:30 and it was a bunch of life guards walking around empty pools. We had pools to ourselves after 5 which was nice. Neither my 6 or 8 year old wanted to go near menehune bridge. They said it looked like it was for "little kids" lol. And we never had issues getting into Aunty's any time of day. We loved taking walks or having movie nights in our room at night and going to sleep early. Sorry you didn't enjoy the resort. We had an amazing time and hope to return!

Last edited:
We just got back from Aulani and enjoyed several family nights in the near empty pools and jacuzzi. It was so fun and relaxing and our young ones really had a great time. Wish all the pools were open late.

We just returned a couple of weeks ago. The pools did seem to close when the OP said, but there were no restrictions on the beach. We went swimming at night a couple of times and enjoyed it. Of course, you have to get your towels before they stop giving them out for the day. Two things to note: 1) There are no life guards, so it is swim at your own risk. 2) If you want some more light, go to the North side of the lagoon, closer to the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons has spotlights on the hotel that light up their section of the beach pretty well.

We just returned a couple of weeks ago. The pools did seem to close when the OP said, but there were no restrictions on the beach. We went swimming at night a couple of times and enjoyed it. Of course, you have to get your towels before they stop giving them out for the day. Two things to note: 1) There are no life guards, so it is swim at your own risk. 2) If you want some more light, go to the North side of the lagoon, closer to the Four Seasons. The Four Seasons has spotlights on the hotel that light up their section of the beach pretty well.
Thanks that is good to know
Welcome to the Dis:-)
Kerri

Just got back last week and we were also bummed the pools closed so early, I really enjoy swimmimg at night and relaxing in the hot tub. We go to Hawaii every year (this was first time at Aulani) and we always meet the most interesting people in the hot tubs at night.

This was honestly the only thing we were disappointed in during our entire stay. I believe if I remember correctly the lazy river was closed by 7 pm each night, and the pools were later. Which to me was incredibly early for a mainly beach and water focused resort. It was November, but it was still in the 80's each night during our stay, definitely still warm enough to swim in my opinion!

With the time change we were always up early and in bed early. I figure most others are in the same boat (especially the very early risers who are trying to beat traffic to get to tourist spots) and the resort realizes this and that is why the resort shuts down in the evening.

DH and I were with you! Due to our time change we were up every day by like 5 am to 7 am. And every night we were in bed by 10 pm LOL. Like, asleep in bed! It'd be like 4 pm in the afternoon and DH and I felt like it was 1 am! haha! We didn't mind the pools closed as early as they did because it was November and we knew it was going to be like that, and we were definitely tired and ready to eat and head to bed by 8 pm! I'm sure they realize this at the resort as most people are traveling from other time zones, and obviously seasonal weather takes a big effect into it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter