Why does Brother Bear get no Love?

WEDcryoHEAD

Bump stocks & Giggle switches
Brother Bear needs some love. Need some Koda plushes or something. My daughter has a TY Beanie Bear that she still calls Koda today. Why does Disney give this movie no love, no promotion, no anniversary merch. I think this movie is Ab Fab.

I'm confused (nothing new there) - I've not heard of a movie called Brother Bear, but I do love AbFab...what's one got to do with the other?

I'm confused (nothing new there) - I've not heard of a movie called Brother Bear, but I do love AbFab...what's one got to do with the other?
Brother Bear is an animated Disney movie from 2003. And the OP just uses AbFab as an expression to say that they really like it, it's absolutely fabulous. Not saying it has anything to do with Patsy and Eddie.

Plot summary Brother Bear
Kenai (Joaquin Phoenix) is a young Indian brave with a particular distaste for bears. When his brother Sitka (D.B. Sweeney) is killed by one, Kenai in turn kills the bear, only to be magically transformed into one himself. To make matters worse, his other brother Denahi (Jason Raize) vows to kill the bear Kenai has become. Kenai's only hope is a magical mountain where he believes he can be changed back to a human, and he enlists a real bear cub, Koda, to get him there.

large_5qSEndgjSbshCK3OqxxRfREFCAP.jpg

I think it's because the summary on Rotten Tomatoes is this: "Brother Bear is gentle and pleasant if unremarkable Disney fare, with so-so animation and generic plotting."

It did okay in reviews and box office, but I agree there is nothing memorable about it (in comparison to other Disney movies). I've seen it once and I can't tell you more than it's about a boy/man being turned into a bear.
It didn't develop a fanbase like Treasure Planet.

And the 2000s were not a great time for Disney. The movies between Lilo & Stitch and Princess and the Frog are pretty meh and not very memorable.

The aurora borealis/transformation scene is really good. The music is good, but not as good as most other Disney films. However, it's not a bad movie by any means and I agree it should get more love! Especially around an anniversary

And the 2000s were not a great time for Disney. The movies between Lilo & Stitch and Princess and the Frog are pretty meh and not very memorable.
I love Meet the Robinsons (from that time period), I think that one is super underrated. I didn't see it until it was free somewhere on cable, but I thought it was wonderful.

I think it's because the summary on Rotten Tomatoes is this: "Brother Bear is gentle and pleasant if unremarkable Disney fare, with so-so animation and generic plotting."

It did okay in reviews and box office, but I agree there is nothing memorable about it (in comparison to other Disney movies). I've seen it once and I can't tell you more than it's about a boy/man being turned into a bear.
It didn't develop a fanbase like Treasure Planet.

Yes, Treasure Planet is great! It is stunning to watch, especially in Dolby Vision. Very underrated but I'm glad it's at least got a cult following.

Chicken Little is also from that period. I think it's a pretty funny movie, so many jokes all around. Not a serious movie at all.

These things come and go. Not all Disney Animation ideas at the studio that make it to films become masterpieces. But in general they're all at least good with the exception of Black Cauldron and Home on the Range!

Brother Bear was just okay. Not bad by any means. I'm probably in the minority on this but I liked the human parts better than the talking animal stuff. Also I don't love the Phil Collins soundtrack (it was WAY better in Tarzan).

Yeah, I agree on the PHil Collins stuff - it's okay. They should have had Tina Turner do the whole thing. I mean, THIS is a masterpeice:

My best guy friend's favorite movie is Brother Bear. There's merchandise out there, it just takes some hunting. I once got him plastic figures of Kenai and Koda that were only sold in Europe. The last milestone anniversary they released three different pins.

Koda and Kenai used to appear at the Storytellers' Cafe character breakfast in California. If it were up to me, they still would.

Yeah, I agree on the PHil Collins stuff - it's okay. They should have had Tina Turner do the whole thing. I mean, THIS is a masterpeice:

There is absolutely no song from Brother Bear that is as good as Strangers Like Me from Tarzan. Like, Tarzan is not in my top 10 favorite Disney movies but that song goes way harder than it needed to lol

I also find Koda to be kind of annoying, but a lot of kid characters in media are so it's not a Brother Bear exclusive issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter