Why does TSA use those little plastic zip ties?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
Last time we flew from Corpus Christi, TSA inspected everyone's luggage, then put those little plastic zip-type things on them. Problem was that when we got to our destination, we couldn't get those stupid little things off to get into our own luggage. Anything to cut them-scissors, nail clippers-were locked in our luggage with those stupid little things. DH told me that the police used to use them for handcuffs. I believe it! It took us over 1/2 hour to find something to cut our luggage open. Why must they use them? Or if so, how do we get into our luggage next time since we can't carry on anything sharp?

I had two of my bags checked and did get any of those plastic zip thingies. I feel robbed. They can be a real pain to open without something to cut them with. Not sure why they use them, but my guess is to let you know they were in there.

Ah yes, good old cable ties!
They are indeed used as handcuffs and for a variety of other uses, even though their true purpose is to bundle cables or wire. I work for a company that makes them, and they do a giveaway twice a year, so I always have tons stashed away and use them for a million things, including as luggage "locks." I suggest keeping a pair of nail clippers in the side pocket of your page to cut them off.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I put my own plastic cable ties on my luggage now, and carry a pair of needle nosed pliers with built in wire cutter packed in teh front pocket unlocked of course.

If they search my luggage I expect them to reseal it in order to prevent pilfering by certain airline employees, not to mention preventing the sippers from coming open and spilling the contents all over the conveyor.

As an FYI, the hotel front desk will always have a pair of scissors you can use to open your luggage.

Anne

I started using the cable ties about a year ago and I always put my nail clippers on the outside pocket of one of our bags. They can be tricky ,but, it only takes a minute or two to cut. I actually think the cable ties are more convenient than regular locks ,this way you don't have to worry about losing your keys:)

Thanks! I hadn't thought of putting the nail clippers in the little outside pocket. But then this was our first trip since this started. So this is what I'll do from now on. Or can you take nail clippers in carry-on now? Outside pocket sounds better, just in case!

The TSA site states that nail clippers are permitted in carry-ons.
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited.doc

We're packing a pair of nail clippers, along with extra zip-ties(cable ties) for the return flight in our carry on.

Something to keep in mind...
Even though nail clippers are permitted in carry-ons, our's did have a small, metal-pointed file. So to ensure that they are permitted, I simply snapped it off.

I had thought about leaving some extra ties on top of my clothes with a note to please retag the bags if they were opened. Bad idea?

The TSA site states that nail clippers are permitted in carry-ons.

The TSA site may say it is ok, but, each airline might have a different rule, I would check with my airline. Or, to be on the safe side, just pack them in the checked luggage.

If you pack your nail clippers in the checked luggage, how are you going to clip the ties off to get to your nail clippers that you need to clip your plastic ties off?

I'm going to bring the nail clippers in my carry on and hope that I can keep them. If not, I'll ask the front desk for scissors.

I don't know about leaving a note to re-cable tie your luggage, but when our garment bag was inspected, they used airline tape to close it. It is in pretty bad shape (we REALLY need a new one, but hubby is the luggage packer in our house and can't find another one he likes). He had cable tied it together, and they must have realized that when they searched it because they sealed it back up with the tape and it held together all the way home.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter