Why is the rum always gone? We might be responsible! UPDATE 7/13: My photos are back and other stuff

Sorry...having major technical difficulties with this post. Will try again tomorrow!

Last edited:
October 20, 2016-Part Two

We had an 8:30 p.m. ADR at Raglan Road this night, so off to Disney Springs we went. Let me just say that Disney Springs is looking great! The first time we visited there were construction walls everywhere, and I think they were still working on some areas when we went last November. Now it feels so open and airy and not so crazy crowded. We also got a little turned around when we got there since everything looked so different, but we eventually found our way to Raglan Road and checked in early for our reservation and grabbed a drink from the outside bar.

This is where our good table karma ran out. Well, sort of. You’ll see what I mean.

So we waited for a while and after about 10-15 minutes past our ADR time my DH went back to check on our reservation. At this point the person at the check-in desk realized that there were apparently two reservations under our name and they had checked us in for a reservation for three adults, not for the five of us (DH had checked in by himself so they didn’t see our whole party). In an effort to seat us right away they quickly shoved two small high top tables together in the main entry way to the restaurant. [Note: We have no idea how the reservation screw up happened, though the guy working there asked if we’d booked through them or Disney and when DH said Disney he sort of rolled his eyes, so maybe this happens often?]

Anyway, back to the squished together high top tables. Um, no. If it was just me and DH, or we were all adults just looking to have drinks and appetizers or something, this would have been OK. This was not, however, OK for a group of five, with kids, looking to have a family dinner. So, despite the glares from my family, I nicely told the host that this seating arrangement wouldn’t work for us. We didn’t even sit down :sad2:

Now, here is where Raglan Road kept me as a fan. They immediately apologized, asked us to wait while they finished cleaning a table, and then quickly sat us literally right in front of the stage where the dancers were performing. Great, right? We all thought so, but Sean did not. It was just too loud, too close, too everything for him and he immediately started crying and refused to stay at the table. Ack. Back to the host stand we went and, apologizing profusely, asked if we could please have a table in a quieter part of the restaurant. They honestly were so nice about it and sat us right away at a table in the far back of the restaurant. I must have apologized 20 times to the host, the manager, the server, whoever would listen. They were all incredibly nice and told us not to worry about it.

Here is where you may be thinking “well, you took your seven year old to a pub with live entertainment at 8:30 at night, what were you expecting?” Honestly, I hadn’t thought that the noise would be problem at all. This was our second time dining here, and our previous experience had been great—we had a similar ADR time and a booth in the main dining room with a partial view of the stage, and had no issues. Sean can sometimes be sensitive to noise, though, and I think just having the stage and performers literally right up close and in our faces was just too overwhelming. In his defense, it really was very loud in there.

Anyway, I felt bad for being so high maintenance. I actually texted my friend @floreksa (who I know in real life but is also here on the boards :wave2:) at this point and was like “they are going to spit in our food at Raglan” but the staff really were very nice about it.

Speaking of food, what did we have?! After all that I needed a drink. I started off with a Magners Pear Cider:

The time stamp on this photo on my phone says 9:28 p.m. so when all was said and done it took us almost an hour after our original ADR time to get situated at a table that didn’t make any of us cry. :p

Devon had a Guinness, which I apparently didn’t take a picture of. We were also given their bread with the Guinness reduction to dip in. I think DH is the only one who really cares for this.

Nathan had the Burger ‘R’ Way (Char-grilled sirloin beef burger with bacon, tomato chutney and Dubliner cheddar), hold the tomato chutney. Look at those yummy chips! He loved this but picked the caramelized onion pieces off the bun.

I had the Fish & Chips (Our famous beer battered fish and chips served with our fresh tartar sauce), which I was perfectly happy with:

In an effort to offset the plate of fried yumminess I had coming to me, I also had the Heritage Tomato Salad (Heirloom tomato and rocket salad with shallots, parmesan crisps and balsamic reduction) to start with and apparently totally forgot to take a picture of it. Oops! This was really good though.

Dylan and Sean both ordered the kids’ Gold ‘n Chicken (2 deep fried chicken goujons with Irish Chips), which they liked:

…and Devon had the Lambo (Lamb shank braised in rosemary jus with mash, leeks, shiitake mushrooms and baby carrots):

He really liked his meal. He said the lamb was nice and tender and not greasy like it sometimes can be, and he loved the veggies and the rosemary jus.

Our server also brought out ice cream with a candle for the birthday boys:

So even with all of that, I can say that we will definitely return to Raglan Road. Next time we will just be sure to note on our reservation that we prefer not to be seated on the main dining room floor. We really do enjoy the food and atmosphere, just as long as we’re not practically sitting on the stage! And even though they did goof up our reservation and our first table assignment, they at least did the right thing (I am looking at YOU, Trattoria al Forno) and tried to make up for it by immediately giving us what I’m sure they and many other people would consider to be a great table, and with a minimal wait. The fact that it didn’t work for our party wasn’t their fault. They were very gracious and understanding about us needing to move a second time, and again made it happen without a significant wait.

I had hoped that we would make it over to Ghirardelli that night for dessert but it was after 10:30 p.m. at that point, and the boys had already had their free birthday ice cream, so we decided to just grab the bus back to the hotel. We had an early breakfast date with some of our favorite characters the next morning!

What a great trip report! You like to get your drink on like I do! Whoop!

That is amazing about how accommodating Raglan Road was. We had awesome service there...once we actually got sat (30 minutes post ADR). It's funny because I remember wondering how the people down in the front were able to handle the noise...especially young kids. It is VERY loud in there.

Really enjoying your reviews and your sense of humor! My DD (5) is sensitive with noise too (to the tune of wearing noise cancelling headphones for many rides & fireworks) so that was great that they were able to move you to a quieter area. Were you still able to see the dancing from where you sat?

What a great trip report! You like to get your drink on like I do! Whoop!

That is amazing about how accommodating Raglan Road was. We had awesome service there...once we actually got sat (30 minutes post ADR). It's funny because I remember wondering how the people down in the front were able to handle the noise...especially young kids. It is VERY loud in there.

Hey, it's vacation, right?! :D

Honestly, it really was SUPER loud by the stage. Like so loud that I'm wondering if we would have actually enjoyed sitting there. Maybe it's a good thing that Sean freaked out and made that decision for us!

Really enjoying your reviews and your sense of humor! My DD (5) is sensitive with noise too (to the tune of wearing noise cancelling headphones for many rides & fireworks) so that was great that they were able to move you to a quieter area. Were you still able to see the dancing from where you sat?

Oh heck no. They put us practically outside, LOL. Honestly, at that point we just wanted to sit down and eat so it was fine.

And thanks for reading along! :-)

October 21, 2016-Part One

This day got off to a bit of a bumpy start, due to some random circumstances beyond our (or Disney’s) control.

So today was Dylan’s 12th birthday, and also the day that we checked out of our beloved Beach Club and made the move over to our one-bedroom villa at Kidani Village. Poor us, I know. I had booked us a 7:55 a.m. ADR at Minnie’s Beach Bash Breakfast at Cape May Café as sort of a fond farewell to the Beach Club, and also as a fun start to Dylan’s birthday.

We succeeded in the monumental task of packing up the rest of our stuff and getting all of our kids out of bed and dressed before 8:00 a.m. and we headed downstairs right on time to…total chaos. Now, I probably should have realized something was wrong when I couldn’t get any hot water in the shower that morning, but I was in a hurry and just took the fastest…refreshing…shower I could and didn’t think too much about it. Well apparently the resort had lost power sometime in the early morning hours, which explained not only the lack of hot water, but also the crowd of people now milling around the entrance to Cape May.

A somewhat harassed looking CM was standing there with a clipboard doing her best to deal with a bunch of cranky people who wanted their breakfast. She had a list of everyone who had ADRs that morning and told us that we could check in and wait but that it could be up to an hour delay for our reservation because the kitchen was behind, or that we could cancel without incurring any fees.

I really didn’t know what to do. We were going to Animal Kingdom that day and our FP window for the safari opened at 10:15 a.m. so we had a couple of hours, but didn’t want to derail our entire day. We debated for a few minutes and I reluctantly told her to go ahead and cross us off the list. We decided to just walk over to the Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast and got about ten steps out the door when someone started to cry and had to go back up to the room to compose herself. Ahem. On my way through the lobby I managed to ask the CM with the clipboard to keep us on the list.

I know, I know, calm down drama queen. BUT…this was the only character meal we had planned for the entire trip, and it was my kiddo’s birthday and I’d really been looking forward to this fun start to his day. So I regrouped and hopped on the MDE app to see what else might be available. Turns out there was I think a 9:20 a.m. ADR available at Tusker House. I immediately texted @floreksa to see what I should do. She and her family were literally on their way to the airport on *their* way to WDW, but she still took the time to point out, quite sensibly, that we’d have a sure thing at Tusker and that it probably made sense to just grab it. Which I did.

When I put us back on the list at Cape May we were told we’d get a text when our table was ready. We hung around the room for a little bit and then decided to just go downstairs and see how things were progressing. There were still a lot of crabby people standing around and complaining about how this was screwing up their plans for the day. Which, I mean I get it, join the club. But it’s not like it was Disney’s fault that the power went out (I think all of the Yacht and Beach Club were affected).

Anyway, I checked in with the poor CM who was still trying to deal with all of these people and she asked me to hang on for a sec while she listened to some lady who was complaining about something or other, and that they’d check on our table for us. So I moved over to the side of the podium and waited for Complaining Lady to be done. In the meantime some guy came up behind me and as they finished with Complaining Lady *he* started complaining about *his* reservation and I was like “um, excuse me, I was next.” Back off, dude! We all want our Mickey waffles! Geez.

Thankfully, we were one of the next parties to be seated. Yay! It was about 8:40 a.m. at this point so I was just glad that we hadn’t had to wait a whole hour, and that we would still have time to eat and get to AK for our safari FP. I of course then had to call Disney Dining to cancel the Tusker House ADR I’d just made, but the CM I talked to was totally understanding and cancelled it with no problem.

Then it was finally time to eat! Actually, all the characters came around before we even had a chance to get food. First Goofy, then Donald, then Minnie. The character interaction here was really good. They came around multiple times and spent a good amount of time at each table. Sean got them all to sign his autograph book, too :)

Here are some pictures of our plates from breakfast:

Dylan and Sean went with waffles, biscuits, and bacon. Sean got some scrambled eggs and Dylan got a chocolate crepe. You should always have chocolate for breakfast on your birthday ::yes::

Devon had scrambled eggs, French toast, bacon and breakfast potatoes. I didn't get a shot of his second plate but I think it looked a lot like this one.

I got us a plate of fruit and assorted baked goods to share.

The fruit was nice and fresh. Unfortunately a lot of the baked goodies went uneaten so I can't really report on them, but they looked good! This was blueberry muffins, banana bread, lemon poppy seed bread, a chocolate chip muffin, and an apple Danish.

Nathan had two croissants and a giant plate of bacon, which he started eating before I got a photo:

I wish I had his metabolism. Because I do not, I at least attempted to be somewhat healthy with my first plate and got some of the asparagus and tomatoes, along with scrambled eggs, potatoes, and ham with mustard sauce. Yum!

I went back for more eggs and potatoes and this time they had the eggs with veggies and feta cheese (I think?).

I believe the veggies were tomatoes, red peppers and spinach. Curse my terrible memory. This is very similar to what I eat at home all the time so I was happy, especially with the addition of the hot sauce I always carry in my bag at WDW ;)

Cape May was a perfectly fine breakfast buffet—nothing particularly memorable, but the food was good, hot, and fresh, and the characters were fun. In short, it was just what we expected. I don’t know that we’d go back, but only because there are other more interesting (and less expensive) breakfast options out there.

Up next…Animal Kingdom and a birthday dinner with an African theme!

Last edited:
I have fallen SO far behind :o I'm sorry!
I finally tried the Schofferhoffer over Thanksgiving while we were in Disney and it's now my new fave :love: I can't believe it took me so long to try!
DH and I tried Skippers in January and while I enjoyed it, DH wasn't the biggest fan. I swear it was because he only ordered a salad with steak on it which is kind of boring, especially for that particular restaurant. We tried going back on our latest trip but while younger DS was on board, older DS wasn't finding anything on the menu he wanted. I had both the Arepas and Falafel when we went; loved the Arepas and I did enjoy the Falafel, but you're right they're a bit on the dry side unless you add the tomato/cuke salad to them. And neither of us were really fans of the bread.
Interesting the Beach/Yacht lost power when you were there, because we lost power one morning when we were there last week! Only for about an hour and only half our room lol, but wondering if it's some type of ongoing system problem they have there.

We stayed at the BC 10/21-10/30 and had a scheduled power outage somewhere in the middle. My guess it has to do with the construction going on for the convention center.

I have fallen SO far behind :o I'm sorry!
I finally tried the Schofferhoffer over Thanksgiving while we were in Disney and it's now my new fave :love: I can't believe it took me so long to try!
DH and I tried Skippers in January and while I enjoyed it, DH wasn't the biggest fan. I swear it was because he only ordered a salad with steak on it which is kind of boring, especially for that particular restaurant. We tried going back on our latest trip but while younger DS was on board, older DS wasn't finding anything on the menu he wanted. I had both the Arepas and Falafel when we went; loved the Arepas and I did enjoy the Falafel, but you're right they're a bit on the dry side unless you add the tomato/cuke salad to them. And neither of us were really fans of the bread.
Interesting the Beach/Yacht lost power when you were there, because we lost power one morning when we were there last week! Only for about an hour and only half our room lol, but wondering if it's some type of ongoing system problem they have there.

I wondered about the steak salad at Skipper--it sounds good, but agree it's a little on the boring side. Interesting about the power issue you guys had. Seems like they are having regular problems, though they seemed totally caught off guard by the outage when we were there!

I wondered about the steak salad at Skipper--it sounds good, but agree it's a little on the boring side. Interesting about the power issue you guys had. Seems like they are having regular problems, though they seemed totally caught off guard by the outage when we were there!
He didn't dislike his salad but it just didn't make him feel the need to go back unfortunately. He thought the steak was cooked well and the dressing was pretty good, but otherwise it was "just a salad". I'm sure I can talk him into returning at some point on another adults only trip :)

Wow, between the power outage and the Raglan Road table drama you all are having one heck of a time. Glad all worked out at Raglan though. We've only eaten there once and enjoyed the meal, but like you had a long wait. I think ours was more like 45 minutes after our ADR. Cape May looks like a fun. Hope your son enjoyed the start to his birthday.

How did you all like Kidani compared to Beach Club?

Wow, between the power outage and the Raglan Road table drama you all are having one heck of a time. Glad all worked out at Raglan though. We've only eaten there once and enjoyed the meal, but like you had a long wait. I think ours was more like 45 minutes after our ADR. Cape May looks like a fun. Hope your son enjoyed the start to his birthday.

How did you all like Kidani compared to Beach Club?

I know, right?! By that morning at Cape May I was like man, we are losing our dining mojo. Thankfully things were less dramatic after that!

We all liked Kidani, but Beach Club is still our favorite just because of the proximity to Epcot and HS. Kidani had a much more relaxing vibe, though, which we appreciated after being go-go-go the week before at Beach Club. I'll try to get my next review up soon with some pictures from Kidani!

Oh my gosh, I realized yesterday (funny how the brain works) that I forgot to include Belgium in the Food & Wine booths we tried. I haven't been able to think of anything else ever since!

In order for me to be able to get some sleep tonight, here are the two items we tried, on our arrival night at Epcot:

This was the Beer-braised Beef served with Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes, and the Belgian Waffle with Warm Chocolate Ganache and Whipped Cream. Dylan scarfed down the entire waffle by himself, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say he liked it. I had a bite of two of the other dish, which was really good--well cooked and satisfying, with nicely complimentary flavors. This was one of Devon's favorite items of the festival, actually.

For good measure I'm also including this picture of me with Dylan and Nathan. It's arguably food-related because I have some sort of beverage in my hand (guessing it's the Kona Brewing Co. beer I got at the Hawaii booth), and also because you can see my super cute Dooney & Burke bag that I got at Disneyland last summer:

Phew. Now that all is right with the world, I'll hopefully be able to get my next full review up soon. :rolleyes:

I've definitely cried at Disney before lol. I think because you plan so meticulously (at Disney's insistence) and then it all goes seemingly down the tubes through no fault of your own. I'm not a cry baby either. But it's more tears of frustration maybe? I'm glad you were able to regroup and enjoy your breakfast!

I've definitely cried at Disney before lol. I think because you plan so meticulously (at Disney's insistence) and then it all goes seemingly down the tubes through no fault of your own. I'm not a cry baby either. But it's more tears of frustration maybe? I'm glad you were able to regroup and enjoy your breakfast!

Yes, exactly! We spend so much time agonizing over everything for months (well I do anyway) to make sure everything will be perfect...it can be hard to accept when things don't go as planned! It was definitely a mix of frustration and disappointment, compounded by the whole birthday factor. Thankfully it all worked out :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter