Why so Junky?

mamadonna

Earning My Ears
Why is it most Kids meals are sooooooo Junky? Fries are okay, but every day. I know all meals don't contain fries, but pretty darn close. My son is one and actually likes veggies and fruits.

Were going to the store to get food to bring to resturants for our son. Anyone else concerned about nutrition at Disney? Any tricks to make meals at disney healthier?

I'm a new mom so I realize that i may be slightly dilusional, but it seems like they could do better.

mammadonna,

I completely agree with you. Our DD is 3 1/2 and she is also a fruit and veggie lover. She actually turned down ice cream one night because she wanted my broccoli! A happy meal is a really big treat in our house.

I know some places will substitute fruit for fries. There are also places in each park to get fruit and/or veggies. Toontown in MK is one place. Also, if you have any way of keeping things cold while in the park (maybe an insulated lunch box with ice from your hotel) I would bring things like cheese slices, fruit and yogurt. If you can't keep it cold how about small cups of natural apple sauce, cheeries and canned no salt veggies with pop top lids?

Welcome to motherhood!!

Kate

P.S. Have a great trip

If it's in your budget, sit downs and buffets for at least some of your meals can help with the nutrition thing. Lots of meals in sit downs come with house veggies that a 1 year old could eat. Many also have a fruit plate and most can get you things that might not be on the menu such as a bowl of apple sauce. The buffets are filled with things that your child can eat. Lot of fresh fruits and salad options. He might also like some of the simple fish and chicken dishes. I agree that there are way too many fries at WDW.

Jordan's mom

Let's face it, we all would slide down the slippery slope to our baser instincts if we didn't learn how to fight them! Many parents just throw up their hands and give up trying to feed their children good food because "my kids won't eat ........." (green veggies, etc). It is easier to give in, and it's fine once in a while, but I agree on a week or two week vacation, chicken nuggets and fries every day gets old and unhealthy!

There were good suggestions here and I agree. Here are other ideas: *Vary the restaurants (not all fast-food), *order extra veggies or a veggie/fruit plate and split it as a family, *Bring healthy snacks with you--not all have to be kept cold such as health bars, oranges, pretzels, *ask for substitutions whenever possible, *try eating breakfast for lunch or dinner!

You are so right, but the choices are getting better if you know where to look. If you do get a "kids meal" I have always been able to substitute grapes or raw carrots for fries! We have found our fav's at every park. For example at MK Columbia Harbor house has great salads and the kiosks in frontierland have lots of great fruit as does the store by the barnstormer in ToonTown.

We try and have a good (healthy) breakfast in the room, for us the $10 per day for a fridge is worth it. We do our big meal as a late lunch and usually find great counter service choices at Epcot for dinner (we do Epcot almost every night!).

We generally get two or sometimes three "adult" meals for the 4 of us (me, dh and 2dd's).

If you want to take some time and plan ahead www.wdwig.com has all the menu's available.

Enjoy and I am looking forward to everyone elses healthy eating kid ideas?

TJ

The ABC Commisiary at MGM offers baby carrots as an option on the kids meals. My kids ALWAYS take it as they love them.....fruit stands are also ready avaliable as well. Good Luck!

Most of the counter service restaurants at WDW offer carrots or grapes instead of fries. It's listed on the menu boards (for adult meals also).

I have noticed carrots listed at more places lately, but you can also ask if you don't see them.

Carrots & grapes from Toontown were actually the least expensive snack we ate! They were very refreshing, especially with the free ice water. :)

We took a tiny cooler that was meant for baby bottles & used it for frozen juice boxes & small snacks like cheese cubes and pretzels. I also had the little containers of apple sauce.

Our 4.5yr DD is a cheese and fruit addict, our 1yr old son is a baked potato and fruit addict. We had no trouble finding food for them in the parks. For example there is a great counter service in Toon town at MK across from the playground, Fruit vendor near the Safari ride in AK, and countless healthy alternatives at the counter services in World Show Case. MGM's carts did not have as many healthy alternatives (okay none that we could find) but the restraunts have great healthy meals. Check the restaraunt (sp) menus at www.wdwig.com to plan your healthy meals.

Don't forget milk instead of pop. Most WDW restuarants carry juice as well, though in the heat youre better off watering in down.

We didn't think it was too bad - not that much worse than what we eat at home. The mac n cheese - though much too high in fat for mom, was good for the kids and I didn't feel too guilty about them eating it. My kids weren't allowed pop at the time of travel (neither of them completely out of diapers and pop is reserved for "big kids" who don't wear diapers). We tended to try for sit down dinners (as much as we dared with the little ones) and that meant better food - especially when they ate off our plates. And we were too busy to snack.

So far great tips -

We often do appetizers or soup for the kids, especially at Epcot. If we do our big meal as a sit down lunch we can do well. We have found many great appetizers as well as salads or soups rather than the kids meals. Fruit & cheese plate or smaller versions of the adult meals. Since we have two girls (6&8) we are always allowed to order an adult meal and split it between them. My youngest just loves soup so we look for that on the menu.

I hope that the more we as consumers look for, ask for and order the healther alternatives then the restaurants will start serving it. btw, I find this at home as well as wdw when my girls choose a salad and soup over the kiddo meal!

My girls prefer water to any other beverage so we don't worry about the soda or gatorade sold everywhere.

TJ

While at WDW, I've never had a problem. I'd just ask to substitute the fries with a veggie. They were always fine with it.

We ate alot of buffett meals.Because they are rife with lots of veggies and fruit, I found with my little guys at the buffet, I would fill a plate, with things like the following....Shredded cheese, fruit, veggies, mini hot dogs, turkey and ham, Which after being in the heat they seemed to like best. And as I have 2 year old twins, who can eat alot. It was worth it for me. Under 3 years old is free at the buffets. Other than trying to at least once a day trying to cover all the bases, I let it go it won't kill them for the vacations duration.......We also have a villa, and as such if I did not think they did well eating throughout the day, I would whip up a fave at the villa at night.

On the subject of refreshing fruits, there is a stand near the exit to Test Track that offers a fruit cup for $2.50. It consists of honeydew, watermelon, canatloupe, and purple seedless grapes. I like to bring a sandwich from home and get the fruit cup to make a nice little picnic lunch. The butterfly garden near the East entrance of Mouse Gear is a nice place to enjoy such a meal.

We just tried to start them off with healthy breakfast. Only milk with meals and a veggie here and there (my kids don't go for carrot sticks). We had yogurt for night snacks (had a fridge).

It is hard to avoid the junk foods from the buffets, a lot of the buffets were kiddie sized and they loved getting their own nuggest, hot dogs or mickey waffels with syrup! Balance it all..

we found the kids meals didn't really appeal to my dd (it seems american kids have different tastes to british kids, our usual choices are no healthier just different)

In the end we stopped buying her a meal, and she just shared ours, she was much happier with some of my 'grown up' food, then she was with Mac and Cheese or PB&J (not food she is familiar with).

One night we were at Perkins and all she wanted was a ham sandwich and mashed potatoes. We scoured the menu and they obviously had those ingredients, but they didn't offer a ham sandwich on the menu. the waitress was a little stumped, but eventually agreed that we could order a grilled cheese and fries, and she would substitute ham for cheese and mash for fries. Hey Presto, one happy daughter.

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter