Why so negative????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you Loribel. Sgtpet made a great decision not to buy DVC as it doesn't fit his needs. That doesn't mean that the rest of us are dummies since we don't agree with him.

Somehow I feel I have to defend myself here. This board has always been an open forum about information regarding DVC. Reporting information given to me by Member services was meant to be factual sharing of information. Expressing my disappointment at the increase and lack of adequate warning for my vacation planning was just my personal take on the issue. I would hope we can all be honest here- it was not an attack on DVC in general, just on this particular issue. Of course it doesn't affect everyone the same. But for those of us who do choose to use the DC, it is helpful to share information.

As far as sales presentations go, we were presented a very thorough covering of Concierge, Disney and II, and Adventure collection. If it is not a major selling point, why the big map in the DVC Office with the lit dots all over the world and the 53 printed pages covering"Getting Away" in my member guidebook? Would they waste the paper for a program that is irrelevant or that they intend to take away? Yes the majority of you appear to use your points strictly for DVC resorts and there is NO question- it is the BEST use of your points. But I believe Disney knows that not everyone is ready to spend all 41 years at WDW, and to market to that sector of the population, they developped these exchanges. I do not think it was my guides fault- I believe they are trained to present all facets of DVC.

No argument here- it is an extremely flexible program. No I don't want to sell my points. I love this board and I can't wait for my trip in December. But I think it is OKAY to say - hey I'm upset, points just jumped from 22/night last year to 30/night this year (same days and season) without it being seen as a personal attack on the members and the program in general. I certainly didn't tell anyone not to buy- I've encouraged an informed purchase. I do believe this discussion for the most part is helpful so that prospective members do understand the program and enter it with realistic expectations.

So please, let's keep this an open-minded forum and listen and respect each others opinions.

:sunny: :sunny:

Wow! What a thread!!!

I've been a DVCr since 95. I did not want to join, but my dh did! We discussed and rather than further debating, we joined! We purchased it "sight unseen."

6 months later we arrived at our 1-bedroom @ OKW and was floored by the attention to detail, luxury and style of the home! We were in awe! And we haven't changed our minds since.

We now have 7 add-ons (do 4 vacations plus one Magic cruise a year!). We could never accomplish this w/o purchasing DVC.

I've kept my records since 95 and the points have not had extreme variances. Even if they did, the hotel industry (not just or Disney) goes up an average of 9% a year! On a room worth $275 a night, that would be over a $27/night increase each year!!!

Also, if anyone is hesitant to join DVC, then don't. If you are not sure (or at least one of you), then wait. It's been a tremendous success and will be around for another 41 years! It may not be "your" time!

I'm glad I have a smart husband, a "give in" mechanism in me, and all my DVC points..................

Have a DVC day!:)

I think people should have the right to post both negative and positive respnses. It sheds light to alot of things that go on. How does a person keep themselves informed in life if all they want to read is the positive side of things. I think what Sgt. posted is fair and yes this is a discussion forum. Not Titled the POSITIVE ONLY FORUM. I myself am a DVC owner and love it but I respect other people's rights to there views. Everything in life isn't pixie dust and Disney is a business not a Club. They are not going to give everything away as upset as we may get. Go buy some stock and maybe you can put a smile ;) on your face when you spend money knowing it is coming right back. Disney made it very clear on your contract what rights you have.
If you can't take the heat then get out!!!!!

Funny thing folks. What is most negative and non-Disney like is when you personally attack others. Shame on those that have done so. I could get very personal but have chosen to take the high road. I have stated over and over again that I had nothing negative to say about DVC owners. Until now. I didn't know you have to be an owner to speak or be critical on this board.

My criticsm has been noted in many threads. It is to the DVC and to give a different thought process to potential owners.

I would like to thank all monitors of this board for allowing me to speak my mind on the issues and sharing a differnce of opinion.

The last few days were interesting.

pluvc1993 Thanks.

You're right-- I did misunderstand. I thought the issue was the price per point. (blush) Those HAVE risen quite a bit-- maybe even close to 37%!! But I guess that's another thread....

pluvc1993 I never said it was a positive only forum. But sgtpet kept adding the same response to everything, that is rediculous. A few times would be plenty, or the same response from everyone is fine, but for one person to constantly post the same thing is a different story.

sgtpet no one said you had to be an owner to voice your opinion, it was an attempt to politely ask that you stop posting the same thing. So SORRY I offended you, but it IS NOT just voicing an opinion when you constantly post the same thing.

kem330 I don't feel you need to defend yourself. You did the right thing when you came back with the update that it wasn't as bad as has been previously posted. I don't think that a 37% increase is good either, but nobody knows the whole picture yet and hysteria set in.

If this is the way this board is going to continue to be I will chose not to visit in the future. I just hope that all of the negative, unfounded hysteria doesn't drive away other families.

Funny thing folks. What is most negative and non-Disney like is when you personally attack others. Shame on those that have done so.

While you have had many comments directed at your statements, I'm not aware of any personal attacks. If you feel you have been attacked, please email me, one of the other DVC moderators or one of the Webmasters with the details, so we can look into the matter.

One concern which certainly can lead to the type of comments we've seen here lately, is the amount of incorrect information which is offered as fact.

When advice is given to NOT join DVC because of something which WILL happen at BCV, many will take offense, since there has been NO detailed information released about that resort at all by DVC. There has certainly been speculation offered on this board about what people think may happen, but there is no real information available yet on which a purchase decision at that resort can reliably be made.

Hopefully, some factual information about BCV and the various programs will be coming soon from DVC. Then we can all have the benefit of analizing the same information, instead of getting upset about speculative remarks- some from members and some from non-members.

Enjoy!

I don't find the personal attacks on sgtpet fair. He is entitled to his opinions as much as anybody else. This is not an owner's forum only. Most of us have lurked here trying to find out as much as we can before shelling out the money fo become owners. There are posters who are very vocal about issues that they consider important such as room occupancy, pool hopping, weekday-only use, and so on. We've read the posts over and over because their authors want to make sure that their message gets across. Sgtpet is dissapointed in this and I think he's allowed to be as vocal about it as he can as long as he does not break the forum rules. If the moderators don't stop him, then why should any poster do? Let alone being rude to the point of being mean to him?
This is really the first time I've seen this kind of behaviour in these forums and Ihope it does not become common.

On the other hand, I, like Doc, also believe that too much of a big deal has been made out of a non-confirmed news. Let's wait for the changes to keep on discussing on the DC.

...but when I purchased at OKW it's because that is where I wanted to stay. My points are very valuable to me,I try to stretch them as far as possible. It never made sense to me to spend them at another on-site resort. Why waste points just to sleep at GF. I can wonder on over to GF anytime.Eat at Alberts, have a drink in the lounge,sit in the lobby & watch people, swim in their pool, have a massage,go for a boat ride, pretty much get the whole GF experience except for when it's time to go to bed.

I didn't buy into DVC because of DC or II or any of the other perks. I purchased because DW and I love staying on property about 4 weeks a yr and OKW is absolutely the cheapest way to do it. Any other benifit,perk,discount,etc is just gravy. IMO if a person decided not to purchase because they were dissatisfied with the gravy,then they were missing the point of DVC to begin with.

HMMMM... Got an idea for a thread.....

Just a side note to DVCCajun -- The price per point has actually risen 56% from $48 per point pre-construction at OKW to $75 today. ;)

Loribell, thanks for trying to be a voice of reason, but I think you're wasting your time. Ignore and this too shall pass. I admit that I too am personally offended in a repetitive and uninformed way. Chuck, where are you?

Count me in as one of the offended also :mad: . I also agree w/ KNWVIKING... we purchased at BWV because thats where we wanted to spend most of our time. Even b4 the pt. increase, we decided that was not good for us. We want to get as much benefit and value from our DVC. Love it so much, took advantage of "winning" the lottery :confused: for an additional add-on, which we promptly "celebrated" by going out to eat. :D

All this fuss about perks has upset me so much, I just had to buy another 100 points.

I have to admit, when I was considering our decision to become a DVC member, I was very much persuaded by all of the optimistic (or should I say "euphoric"?) comments on this board. In making an informed decision, I also would have welcomed more discussion as to the expensive cost of points for the Concierge Collection, as we did not intend to spend every vacation going to WDW. Let's face it, some people on this board at least give the perception of being "addicted to pixie dust", if you know what I mean.
Don't get me wrong, I am glad we joined, and in three weeks we are going to L.A. and are going to stay at the Grand Californian and visit Disneyland and California Adventure. This is something I probably would not have done, if it were not for DVC. But the next time I go to California, I want to revisit Sequoia and Yosemite and the wine country. We are enjoying DVC, but may not stay around for the next 41 years or so.

Nick you are right. That is why I didn't purchase into DVC. I would love to go to Disney quite often but there are many other locations in the United States and the World where I would like to have options of where to go.

Speaking of objectivity, if you give a negative Disney response you are ripped into. There is very little objectivity on this board. I purchaser of a DVC that wants both sides of the story should go to other locations.

This is a great place to get information about DVC but not to question whether to purchase or not.

In fact I had a thread stating Buyer Beware and it was immediately removed. Meanwhile the thread why so negative was directed at me and from what I see is still on the board.

Don't forget this site is sponsored by the Timeshare Store.

Nick you are right. That is why I didn't purchase into DVC. I would love to go to Disney quite often but there are many other locations in the United States and the World where I would like to have options of where to go.

Whenever someone asks the question "Is DVC right for me," the usual responses will say that it is if you intend to travel to WDW every year or two, and stay in moderates or up. In that case, DVC will probably make sense. And it sounds like that doesn't describe you. So not buying is the right choice for you.

But you have extrapolated that into "misleading marketing schemes," "Disney manipulating their members," "false information," etc. And when people object to how you characterized the program, you accuse them of a lack of objectivity. Remember, I never see anyone on these boards touting DC as a reason to buy a DVC membership.

Just because the program isn't right for you doesn't make it flawed.

Too all those who are scared to voice what they believe in........
An Old Man once said
In a battle only the true bravest are still standing at the end and ready to fight again for what they believe in

This is not meant to offend anyone but the reality is everyone has a right to stand for what they believe in. It is a better person who can learn with an open mind in the end. I may or may not agree with Sgtpet but I give him credit for his determination. And if in the interim he helped someone make an informed decision based on their individual predicament then he has done right.

I leave everyone with a smile:) !!!!!!

All of us are here as guests on this very nice, free, moderated website. Please take the time to review the DIS Posting Guidelines. These guidelines were written in response, in part, to threads such as this on these boards. You will note that fighting and personal attacks are not allowed. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter