Why the Autotrain?

WDW4KIDS

Earning My Ears
I don't know why the Autotrain is so apealing.The ride from Va. to Orlando is only 14 hours or less and the driving for the most part is all highway open road.The cost is more than a plane ticket so it doesn't save money.The facilities are fair at best.Please tell me your opinions.Is the Autotrain worth it?

Given the terrible events of yesterday evening, I can understand why one would ask this question, but for some the Auto Train is a good option for travel to FLA.

The AutoTrain saves 14 hours of wear and tear on both the car and passengers. It allows you go the distance and not have to worry about falling asleep, finding a motel, etc..etc..etc... With the AutoTrain, you cover the distance and arrive in Fla in the morning ready to go!...

For most, it is not a question of a cheaper alternative, but a viable option for those who don't want to, or can't fly for one reason or another and would rather not drive all night.

As far as facilities are concerned: It is widely known that the AutoTrain is one of the few routes that actually breaks even (or makes money on occasion) and as such, has some of the best facilities, cars and staff. Prior to today, it had a great safety record. I think the last accident was in 98 and that was a very minor one and the last 'major' one was in 1978.

I have taken the train twice and have tickets for this December. Of course, ideas are running through my mind, but there are risks in everything that we do and I still feel confident in the safety record of this line and rail travel in general. I am still planning to take the train in Dec.

I agree with DVC Chris. For those of us (myself included) who can't get on a plane. This is a wonderful alternative for all the reasons stated above. I don't mind the drive (from NJ), but it's nice to be able to relax and spend time with the family. You also get to move around instead of sitting for all of those hours.

In regards to the price..coach seating works out to be only marginally higher then airfare from our area, and if you plan on renting a vehicle once you arrive, it may even end up saving a bit since you would have your own car.

I have to admit, being the nervous person that I am, that I was more then a bit shaken by yesterdays news. But as stated above, it's been over 20 years since there has been a bad incident on this train.

And although yesterday was a terrible tragedy, and I feel so incredibly sad for the people that were onboard the train and their families, only 4 people were killed. Don't get me wrong, it is horrible and sad that anyone had to die due to this incident, but one thing I'm trying to justify in my head is that many more people then that die in car crashes on any given day.

We have tickets for the Auto Train again in June. I'm sure I'll be a bit more nervous this time, but I normally really enjoy our trips on the Auto Train very much.

I agree with CM Tinkerbell about car accidents and consider that when a plane goes down everyone on board is usually lost. I like to keep my feet on the ground or as close to it as possible. The drive from PA is too much for my DH to do by himself and I can only drive about and hour to an hour and a half before my eyes start to close, so I wouldn't be much help.
The 4 hour drive to Virginia is managable and we are all rested when we get there so we can start our vacation on the right foot. We have tickets for the end of August 2002. I can't wait.

We took Amtrak from Philly to Orlando 5 years ago and went coach. It was a 23 hour trip with stops along the way to pick up passengers and the railcars to hold them. We didn't sleep through the night although we did get naps all along the way since the train has a way of rocking you to sleep.

We will be in a Deluxe sleeper car this time. DH and I will be in the lower bed and DS(15) will be in the upper one. This sleeper has a sofa and a chair during the day. It also has it's own toilet, sink and shower, so we don't have to share the facilities. That in itself is worth it to me. On the train from Philly we had to share 2 restrooms with 40 people in the car. By the end of the 1st 12 hours they were pretty disgusting. There is really only room for 1 person in there at a time, so little kids were left in there by themselves to do their business on a constantly moving toilet. Need I say more.

I also consider that I would need 2 nights extra of hotel rooms whether we fly or drive, so I figure that in when I check out the difference in price.

The Auto Train is also popular with the 'Snow Birds', the people that live in Florida during the winter months and then go back to the northas the temperatures there moderate.

Several of these people will load up their vehicles and then get on the Auto Train to travel up to Lorton, Virginia and then continue on their way home. If they had to drive, it would take two additional days (or more) and they would be miserable.

It's kind of strange but I don't sleep much on the train but enjoy the late night hours with my older son. And still manage to feel rested when we arrive the next morning. That way the next day isn't a catch up day where you rest! Going in August.........let's hope there up and running soon, safely...........cause I hate the thought of driving!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter