Why we didn't get any free souvies as resort guests:

Why would you expect them to do something "sweet or extra" for you? There are literally hundreds of people checking into POR every day (when open), what makes you more special than the rest of the Guests (no offense meant, but...)??? You can't expect them to do something for everyone, then it's not "extra". Looks like they gave you luggage tags, that is an extra! If you were entitled to them, they would have been mailed to you in advance of your stay. They may have stopped mailing them now, but when POR was last open, the tags were being shipped. And apologies you had to actually wait in a line to get them...
The luggage tags that people get are when they purchase a 'package' and that is usually more money than room only. So they are not free, and yet I had a hard time getting them when I was at my resort. They were confused when I asked for them. When I finally got them, they are not really'tags' but room style cards with holes in them allowing you to attached via cord.

And I didn't get the 50th ones people are talking about. I got the backstock :(

I think the disconnect here is that for some travellers to Disney, the pixie dust was sprinkled a little more than others. Maybe it's the time they visited or maybe they just got lucky. I assume most of the people who don't get why it's so magical maybe just didn't get the pixie dust treatment.

At any rate, when you go to the hotels and get a note, or a picture or a pin, it adds a little extra magic. For those of us used to getting it (I think we got something a little extra on every hotel stay) when you arrive for one of the biggest celebrations and nothing is there, it stands out more. And yes, I realize that there was a free poster and free photopass (most people visiting likely already had it in some capacity but that's besides the point). However, psychologically, there's something different between getting the poster in your room versus seeing thousands of them handed out to people as they exit in droves. It's lacking the magic. I think that's the real complaint. In a time when we can all use some extra pixie dust, we look to the biggest provider of that and they come up empty.

Oh yes, I also wanted add re: the luggage tags I picked up in 2019. I was very grateful to get them, but I only got them after a 30min wait in the lobby and ONLY because you kind people here had told me this could be done. On my 2017-2016(?) trip they sent them with our ME tickets. And they delighted my Mom so thoroughly that I went out of my way to get them for her... these little touches really do matter. 100% agree with above. I think the only reason I care this much is because I WANT to plan my next trip for WDW but there's no rational reason to at this point.

That's like saying it wouldn't cost Netflix anything to give out free subscriptions. It does "cost" them lost revenue of the people who would buy Photopass.
Business Professor here.
Joseph
Look, I would guess that a good percentage of 50th Disfan 'day of' visitors were AP passholders (that get free photopass). Many of these guests would never pay rack rate but did so for the 50th 'day of', to be part of the 'magic'.

The rest of the 'guests' were media, who wouldn't buy photopass, and LOTS were resellers, who don't give a dang about photopass.

And most of the families who didn't have APs with free photopass, would probably have purchased 1 photopass option, not one per person. Why didn't they just give everyone a $70 Disney gc instead? Anyone? Bueller?

So Disney figured out a way to give out a 'free' gift that cost them the least cost possible. So that is good business sense for them. But it is not magical.

Last edited:
People attacking the 'I didn't get a free souvie' complaint like it's different than any other complaint about Disney trying to save money. Every single thing they do to save money that generates a complaint = entitlement. After all, they are just a company trying to make money.
You say saving money like they were required to hand free things out😂. In this specific instance, you are asking Disney to actively spend money, there’s a difference

These were offered at the resorts according to DFB page I linked.
You know…We are going the end of the month and the board is bumming me out. If you are so upset because a corporation is out to make money, go to the beach, a park,
I started a discussion. I get it that corps like to make money. I think Disney is being esp greedy. Is this one thread bumming you out? If so, don't click on it! If all the threads are bumming you out, maybe it's time to reconsider your vacation choice.

We had a great time on our vacation. There were glitches, yes, which I mentioned directly to Disney. If I am honest, I think Disney overcharged me for what I got, resort-wise, but I still had fun, and I would still go to Disney. But I would not go at rack rate and maybe not at deluxe. I would even consider staying offsite!

I'm sure you will have fun too. As a matter of fact, if you don't care about a free pin, you are golden. :wizard:

You say saving money like they were required to hand free things out😂. In this specific instance, you are asking Disney to actively spend money, there’s a difference
I get it, but they have a platform of 'magic' and I happen to think day of 50th wasn't magical. Lots of people agree, for different reasons.

And yes, I was asking Disney to actively spend 20 cents on my family for staying in their overpriced resort room and spending thousands on food. Sue me.

I am glad that a 20 cent item would make me happy! If you can't fathom wishing for a cheap thing like that I would say, 'dream bigger!'

I started a discussion. I get it that corps like to make money. I think Disney is being esp greedy. Is this one thread bumming you out? If so, don't click on it! If all the threads are bumming you out, maybe it's time to reconsider your vacation choice.

We had a great time on our vacation. There were glitches, yes, which I mentioned directly to Disney. If I am honest, I think Disney overcharged me for what I got, resort-wise, but I still had fun, and I would still go to Disney. But I would not go at rack rate and maybe not at deluxe. I would even consider staying offsite!

I'm sure you will have fun too. As a matter of fact, if you don't care about a free pin, you are golden. :wizard:
I have been going since ‘72 and I don’t want or need a pin. I have memories and plan to make more. Yep, not reading the negative threads anymore. And if you start attacking the shareholders…there are many of us on this board. I thank Disney for the great military discounts and will continue to enjoy For years to come …God willing.

I get it, but they have a platform of 'magic' and I happen to think day of 50th wasn't magical. Lots of people agree, for different reasons.

And yes, I was asking Disney to actively spend 20 cents on my family for staying in their overpriced resort room and spending thousands on food. Sue me.

I am glad that a 20 cent item would make me happy! If you can't fathom wishing for a cheap thing like that I would say, 'dream bigger!'
You’ve been saying they gave away PhotoPass, which cost them nothing, do you think it could have cost them $.20 or is that highballing them😂.

You seem to be upset that you didn’t get the free thing you wanted. In one breath you tell them they don’t have to spend next to anything to appease you, and the next, you’re talking about how it didn’t cost them enough with what they did give out 🙄

I have been going since ‘72 and I don’t want or need a pin. I have memories and plan to make more. Yep, not reading the negative threads anymore. And if you start attacking the shareholders…there are many of us on this board. I thank Disney for the great military discounts and will continue to enjoy For years to come …God willing.
In the nicest way possible I would say that I understand people are not always supportive of what does not benefit them (or rather what is not important to them). It is human nature, and I don't take offense to that.

Thank you for your service.

Last edited:
You’ve been saying they gave away PhotoPass, which cost them nothing, do you think it could have cost them $.20 or is that highballing them😂.

You seem to be upset that you didn’t get the free thing you wanted. In one breath you tell them they don’t have to spend next to anything to appease you, and the next, you’re talking about how it didn’t cost them enough with what they did give out 🙄
I mean c'mon. Do you really think I am losing sleep over this? I think it's an interesting discussion, and I think Disney's uber cheap.

For crying out loud, they booted Disney guests out of their Space220 table so Christina Aguilera could sit in their seat. Yes, they compensated them, but isn't that the ultimate in entitlement? A singer being paid millions to put on a show for media only, that the 'loyal customers' could not view in person? And then they want the same loyal customer to give up their seat for this bazillionaire? Where is that magic?

This is bizarro world.

For crying out loud, they booted Disney guests out of their Space220 table so Christina Aguilera could sit in their seat. Yes, they compensated them, but isn't that the ultimate in entitlement? A singer being paid millions to put on a show for media only, that the 'loyal customers' could not view in person? And then they want the same loyal customer to give up their seat for this bazillionaire? Where is that magic?

This is bizarro world.
Hate to say it, it that is standard practice at almost all corporations, not saying it’s right, but it is what it is, and like you said they were compensated

So actually, pin trading is a big deal among Disney fans.They wear their lanyards with the pins they like and the pins they want to trade. My son collects the pins and was trading with lots of people on our trip. Kids AND adults. And the adults seemed the most excited about the trades! Fun! pixiedust:
I'm talking about monetary value not hobby value. But even then It can be an overly expensive hobby. Trading for fun is OK, but don't call them souvenirs. They are game pieces which is also OK, but souvenirs are things you save for the memories, one doesn't trade souvenirs for other peoples memories.

Hate to say it, it that is standard practice at almost all corporations, not saying it’s right, but it is what it is, and like you said they were compensated
And I don't disagree, but when a corporation does it, it's business, and when the other side of the transaction wants say, a free pin, it's entitlement. Both sides are business transactions, but the negativity is directed at the consumer and not the business (by some, not all). btw their compensation was percent off their meal. Not a 'free' meal. :jester: As for me, I would have told the host to move along...I'm getting ready to order.

I would have thought most comments would be yeah, that stinks. End of. They're defending Disney like I'm going after their grandma.

Last edited:
I'm talking about monetary value not hobby value. But even then It can be an overly expensive hobby. Trading for fun is OK, but don't call them souvenirs. They are game pieces which is also OK, but souvenirs are things you save for the memories, one doesn't trade souvenirs for other peoples memories.
Yes, they are souveniers with little monetary value. You can't define what makes a memory for someone.

That's like saying it wouldn't cost Netflix anything to give out free subscriptions. It does "cost" them lost revenue of the people who would buy Photopass.
Business Professor here.
Joseph

But as noted above, this was an extremely calculated move made to minimize any loss of revenue, while trying to garner goodwill for the offering. The free photopass was not announced in advance (that I am aware of). So most people who were going to use likely already paid for it in advance. And it really only benefits those who only wanted photopass for one day. If someone was on a multi-day trip they would still have to pay the full price to use it on the days before and after 10/1.

Wait.

Am I correct in understanding that people are saying they would have been satisfied if there was a small trinket in the room on the 1st, while also saying they weren’t satisfied when given a free trinket in the parks?

idk I get the vibe that if a pin was left, people would argue that the pin wasn’t good enough.

(With that said Disney is overpriced and I love free things, I just never expect them or get mad if I don’t get them)
IDK if it’s just me, but literally every time we’ve ever been in a park when they handed out some thing, we didn’t get it. “Ooh those were gone by 10” or “oh sorry, we only handed those out at the main gate not the IG gate” or some other reason. Every. Time. So yeah, I do agree with OP that it might’ve been cool if you were there to have one tiny thing in your room that you were sure to get. But the entitlement police come out of the woodwork if anyone ever says it would’ve been neat to get something free/cheap/whatever.

IDK if it’s just me, but literally every time we’ve ever been in a park when they handed out some thing, we didn’t get it. “Ooh those were gone by 10” or “oh sorry, we only handed those out at the main gate not the IG gate” or some other reason. Every. Time. So yeah, I do agree with OP that it might’ve been cool if you were there to have one tiny thing in your room that you were sure to get. But the entitlement police come out of the woodwork if anyone ever says it would’ve been neat to get something free/cheap/whatever.

I never understood the entitlement thing. By the very act of being able to go on vacation, that is entitlement. So yeah, if I'm entitled enough to go on vacation and a Disney vacation at that, then I'm gonna want free. I want alllll the free. Am I going to get it? No, probably not. Am I going to be a jerk if I don't? Absolutely not. Do I expect a company to do what they can to keep me a loyal customer and keep spending my money? Oh yeah, they better.

Call it an entitlement if you want, but we all know that's not what it is. It's an expectation from a company that has spent the last several decades building a reputation on providing entitlements for the privileged who can afford to be there. And my generation, the millennials and later, have a very different expectation when it comes to spending money. Those avocado toasts people complained about a couple of years ago, those are experiences, not just meals. Same as Disney. It's not a vacation, it's an experience. If they want to keep drawing in my generation, they need to provide an adequate experience for the very little money we still have lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter