Why?

My husband was diagnosed with ALS two days ago. I am so fearful that he will not get the proper care. I found myself outraged looking at FB last night. I had two friends that were throwing quarantine parties. One in her 30's and the other in her late 50's. What is wrong with people?

I am so sorry to hear that. I send prayers and good thoughts your way!

Sorry, I'm late to this thread and really can't take the time to read 24 pages. I have posted this information on other threads on DISboards and thought maybe this would be news to some of you.

My friend retired from a high position with Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, TN. She posted this information a little while ago to help her friends understand this virus a little better and I think she has put into simple words, that we can all understand, that point out the issue with Covid-19.

She no longer lives in the US, so her post doesn't have to do with politics, religion or clickbait, just her knowledge of how viruses work that she decided to share with her friends.

Understanding COVID-19.....simply A complex disease

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain S, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.
Stay safe

If you read this and don't see why it is so important to slow this down, I'm at a loss for words.

My husband was diagnosed with ALS two days ago. I am so fearful that he will not get the proper care.
So very sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis. :hug:

I found myself outraged looking at FB last night. I had two friends that were throwing quarantine parties. One in her 30's and the other in her late 50's. What is wrong with people?
Some people are just so dumb. And even dumber to post it on social media. :sad2:

I like Dr Fauci as well. I find his controlled demeanor calming.

I get a bit of a chuckle out of watching him stand in the background at briefings. He works very hard to keep his expression neutral, but sometimes he has little "tells" when someone else uses unfortunate phrasing, or says something that is outright incorrect. Nothing overt, but if you watch closely you can tell when he gets a bit annoyed.

Well my husband's power plant project just got put on hold :( ...so they are scrambling trying to figure out where to put everyone who was on the project somewhere else in the meantimes. They are still in talks with GE, with the power plant owner and everything so they are hoping the project can start soon enough. It had already gotten delayed to mid-June but they were able to work on some stuff that could be billable now that's not necessarily the case. No billable hours means my husband's company isn't intaking income for that project at this point. I really hope for a sooner rather than later.

Also my husband's company does paid internship during the summer. While they haven't announced that being cancelled it probably will if things are low in the risk department by mid-late-May. That paid internship program is how my husband got his job..did it at 17 nearly 18, was asked to stay on full time throughout college and now has nearly 13 years at the company so I'd say it's an important track for employment and valuable experience.

Sorry, I'm late to this thread and really can't take the time to read 24 pages. I have posted this information on other threads on DISboards and thought maybe this would be news to some of you.

My friend retired from a high position with Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville, TN. She posted this information a little while ago to help her friends understand this virus a little better and I think she has put into simple words, that we can all understand, that point out the issue with Covid-19.

She no longer lives in the US, so her post doesn't have to do with politics, religion or clickbait, just her knowledge of how viruses work that she decided to share with her friends.

Understanding COVID-19.....simply A complex disease

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...

It has to do with RNA sequencing.... i.e. genetics.

Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.

Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.

Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.

Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain S, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.

We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.

And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.

#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.
Stay safe

If you read this and don't see why it is so important to slow this down, I'm at a loss for words.

Good god this thing is claimed by everyone. Folks you have to watch out for Internet trolls. Trolls going to troll.

One example:
https://wsau.com/blogs/tom-kings-blog/54/its-not-just-the-flu-part-2/

I'm surprised the Y is even open. We don't have any confirmed cases yet in our county and places like the Y, the library, etc area all closed down.

I think this is a valid point. I don't necessarily think that it's just older people who aren't taking it seriously. I think it's more personality regardless of age. I know young people with small children as well as "older" people who are almost proud of their disregard for the whole situation.

From my observations there seem to be two reasons:
1. Some people just can't stand to be inconvenienced and/or told what to do
2. Some legitimately believe that this is just media/government hype like some type of conspiracy theory

My husband and I both work in healthcare. I run an anesthesia company and he is a manager over orthopedic surgery for the largest hospital system in our area, so our lives have been nuts with meetings and planning and strategy. Last night my teenagers overheard him talking to his mom on the phone trying to explain the validity of the situation to her. "No, mom, this is actually a REAL thing. It is not made up."

Yes, maybe this is just me shifting as I get older as well, but I do think the age at which one is considered "old" has moved up quite a bit in recent years. I remember my grandparents being "old" at a much younger age-- my grandfather retired in his late 50s and they acted like "old people". My parents are now 58 and my MIL is 62 and I would still consider them to be fairly young.

The CDC is not even using the term "elderly". It says "Older adults 65+" Probably because most people in their mid-60s would never dream of themselves falling under the category of "elderly"

The state shut the Y the next week. He is sadly a Trumper and doesn't believe it's real.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter