Wife and daughters of deceased military vet...can we use SOG & Military WDW benefits?

caribbeanme

Where the humuhumunukunukuapu'a go swimmin' by..
Hey all!

Aisling just asked a great question regarding the use of military passes, and it made me wonder if we would be eligible for these. My dad fought two or three tours in Vietnam and was in the Army. He never did use his military benefits, in fact, didn't talk much about his military experience, even when he became disabled. When he passed away this past August, we were having a hard time getting him into the U.S. veteran's cemetery as he wanted (a man of many contradictions). We finally got through by sending in copies of his Soldier's and Silver medals and his Captain's certification (?). Because we never did participate in military programs, we've never heard of these WDW benefits.

Would we be able to get the passes now, even though he's passed away? I tried looking through the different military websites, but am having a hard time parsing through all the information.

Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure in your situation but my husband is a disabled (60%) vietnam vet and we are not eligible to stay at SOG. However, my jusband did not "retire" from the military he was honorably discharged. If your Dad retired it may be a different story.

Thanks! I think that answers my question. My dad was honorably discharged, which, as I've learned since I posted the question, limits the benefits of non-service related disabled veterans to some health benefits based on the level of disability. I couldn't find anything that suggested that dependents could get any benefits under those circumstances (i.e., commissary or SOG/WDW discounts). It's ok! A discount would have helped, but the U.S. military has to limit its benefits and perks in some way, after all! What's important is that we were able to get his military service at the National cemetery, which is what he wanted...it'll be hard visiting Disney without him...I'm sure he'll be happy when he sees us riding Space Mountain five times in a row like he used to :)

Thanks a bunch!

The SoG site says this about reservations:
active and retired military personnel and Department of Defense civilians

Someone that you're travelling with must have a valid military ID (retired is perfectly OK.) They'll require that info when you make a SOG reservation.

I think it depends on whether your father was retired or not. Those honorably discharged, but not retired (20 years of service) generally do not get benefits. There are a host of exceptions for those killed in the line of duty, and possibly those permanently disabled.

Those who are retired (at least Regular Army) get benefits for life, as do their immediate dependents. As the child of such a GI, I got dependent benefits until I was 23 or graduated with a Bachelor's degree. My mother, his widow, will receive benefits for life as long as she does not remarry. The magic forms she uses are her marriage certificate and his DD-214 (retirement orders, I believe). She also has a military ID card.

For more information about benefits in general I would contact the nearest VA office. There are also other possible sources--I used to deal with one called Army Mutual Aid Association.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter