WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
Over the years, I’ve had the pleasure of dining at California Grill quite a number of times, and it’s remained one of my favorite signature dining locations in all of Walt Disney World for years. I love the open kitchen, the fresh flavors on their menu that used to change frequently, and most of all, the breathtaking view of Magic Kingdom and the surrounding area. I love heading to the outdoor observation decks to watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks, as the space offers a spectacular vantage point with no obstructions.

One of the things I really loved was the ability to order two dishes from the list of appetizers on the menu. I’m not a huge eater, and being able to order a flatbread and a salad or even calamari was just the perfect thing, price-wise and portion-wise. I’d probably spend around $45 or so, which wasn’t terrible at all. It was always one of those things where it didn’t make sense to spend $70 or $80 on a dish that I would only eat half of, and it was nice to have other options, so I wasn’t forced to do that. Another point, too, is that if there happened to be a dessert on the menu that I wanted to try, I’d get one appetizer and one dessert. It just made sense.
Read the rest of my article here, but also, I'd also love to hear what your feelings are on California Grill's prix fixe menu or if you'd like to see the a la carte menu return.

I hate how they have ruined one of our favorite places to dine at WDW. We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversary’s over the years. My wife is not a big eater and would usually just order an entree and that’s it. Now she would be forced to order all three selections even if she’s not that hungry. I’m sure we will never eat here again unless they change it back.

I hate how they have ruined one of our favorite places to dine at WDW. We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversary’s over the years. My wife is not a big eater and would usually just order an entree and that’s it. Now she would be forced to order all three selections even if she’s not that hungry. I’m sure we will never eat here again unless they change it back.
We used to go for sushi specifically and it no longer makes sense.

I wish it would go back to a la carte, but like many responses on here, don't think it will. The Mouse is making a lot more money on prixe fixe and the ressies are still stacked - so why would they be motivated to change?

It'll never go back, for 3 reasons.
First, a prefix menu is much easier on the kitchen.
Second, it increases revenue because all diners will be paying the same high cost, as opposed to someone who just wants to order light or inexpensive.
Third, it eliminates people from booking who only want to go there for a coffee or a dessert just so they can watch the fireworks.

It'll never go back, for 3 reasons.
First, a prefix menu is much easier on the kitchen.
Second, it increases revenue because all diners will be paying the same high cost, as opposed to someone who just wants to order light or inexpensive.
Third, it eliminates people from booking who only want to go there for a coffee or a dessert just so they can watch the fireworks.
ALL THIS ^

it’s not for everyone but as a comparison it’s the same price as the Rose & Crown Fireworks Package, food wise CG is a MUCH better value.

Since the move to the prix fixe menu the quality of the food has improved, as has the service. The atmosphere is nicer, elevated, and more calm as well. California grill is currently one of my favorite places to dine at Disney World, whereas previously I felt like it was a bit chaotic, and food and service were inconsistent. The current menu is very balanced and has just the right amount of variety. Every dish that we have tried has been excellent. The wine pairings are lovely, especially the higher end option. I've come away delighted every time we've gone since the change. I am happy with the prix fixe and personally hope it stays.

i doubt we will see it go back unless it gets to where it isn't full. For us, it isn't a big deal as we always ordered an app, entree and desert as well as drinks. For them, it gets rid of those coming just for dessert and fireworks.

I've only dined at California Grill since the introduction of the Prix Fixe menu and have had no issue with it. I've enjoyed excellent food and service each time and always felt I received value for the amount paid.

Read the rest of my article here, but also, I'd also love to hear what your feelings are on California Grill's prix fixe menu or if you'd like to see the a la carte menu return.
We're abstaining until the prix fixe menu goes away.

I'm OK with it at places in the parks such as BOG but not a high end dining experience like California Grill.

Great view at Cali and fun theming at BOG but I enjoy the menu and dining at Skipper's Canteen far more.

I don't see it happening. I'm betting California Grill was getting many people just going and ordering an appetizer or something very small to get access to the fireworks, similar to Be Our Guest having people just ordering a cupcake to eat at Beast's castle. We may not like it, but we have to accept it.

I do not think it will go away. If anything I think more Disney restaurants will go this route. As long as they are filling their reservations why would they change it? I agree with those who say this situation was created by people ordering an app or dessert for the view. Same with BOG.

I just want them to bring back Sunday Brunch, it was my favorite meal on property. I wouldn't have so much of an issue with the Prix Fixe if there was more food there that I liked, but there isn't. If they leave it that way, I most likely won't be going back.

A member of the wait staff told us last year that people would come up there and order the cheapest thing on the menu and a drink and sit there for hours waiting for the fireworks. We were told by our friend who is a server at BOG that people were doing similar things there as well. This is why we can't have nice things as the saying goes- others ruin it for the rest of us. I totally understand why Disney would move to this model to curtail these types of behaviors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter