Will cruise lines require passengers to wear a Face Mask? - POLL

Will cruise lines require guests to wear a Face Mask?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
Because you want to stay in business, this is not about the short term, but the long term. Yes, they will have a loss for several months, maybe a year, maybe even two years. But it's probably better to keep your name top of mind and your staff trained and experienced, then to sit and wait for 6-12 months till the economy is up and running again (at least enough for the ships to fill).
Would it be less of a loss to sail half full than let it sit empty?

Cruise ships need to be at 99% occupancy to make a profit due to fixed cost of fuel and labor. That's why they would give away cabins just to fill the boat, just so they can make a profit on alcohol and excursions.
I don't buy that 99% figure at all. It sounds arbitrary and made-up. It also implies that every cruise line was just barely turning a profit in normal times, needing to sail full just to get where they needed to be. It ignores the reality of how lines like DCL raise prices, sometimes very steeply, year over year, to an extent that is not in any way reflective of their operating costs. DCL prices doubled in a 10 year period: there is no way that their operating costs also doubled within that time frame.

Also, alcohol and excursions aren't going to make up the cost of a cruise fare for a line like DCL, where a double-occupancy cabin on certain routes can easily cost $10,000 or more for a 7-night cruise. Almost no one spends that much on excursions and drinks for a week-long cruise.

Would it be less of a loss to sail half full than let it sit empty?

There are costs that are variable, like food or servers & hosts, based on the amount of guests on board. Costs for planned maintenance can be delayed by a few months.
If during the first months Disney can prove they are safe, they can convince more people to sail. By waiting you delay the opportunity to rebuild trust. And trust is what every company needs most now.

So my answer would be yes, although part of the calculation, like trust, cannot be expressed in money.

I just changed my vote from no to yes. I interpret today's addition of face masks on the shop disney site is an indicator they will be asking guests to wear masks and want to start production to ensure they can sell them at park entrances and on the ship.

I do think it is possible they will only require masks for certain experiences like theater shows, port adventure tour groups, character meets, or sail away party etc. They might not require them in the MDR or bars or trivia/bingo type events provided they restrict the tables to one family per table.

I can see them having adults/teens wearing masks and kids 12 and under not having to like they have us doing here in NJ.

Initially I thought this could never be a requirement, but it sure seems like face coverings are being required more and more to be out in public. I would not be surprised at all to see this happen now. We've been wearing face coverings (not medical masks) every time we go to the grocery store, which is the only public place we have gone in over a month.

I just don't see how they can mandate this in the parks or on the ships. For employees, sure, but one of Disney's mantras is, "we can't control guest behavior". The last time I was on the Fantasy, they weren't even enforcing the dress code in the MDRs (I saw a tween girl in bathing suit bottoms at dinner). What would they possibly do if, say, a guest walks into a theater on the ship with their mask on and decides to take it off during the show? Are they going to interrupt the show to insist the guest put their mask back on? Disney typically does not take confrontational stances with guests. I think there may be a strong suggestion that guests wear masks and we will see DCL putting things in place that they can actually control - spacing out tables in the MDRs, spacing out PATs, spacing out lounge chairs, lowering capacity on the ships, mandating that CMs wear masks, etc., but I'm not convinced they will require guests to wear masks.

I'm not convinced it will be a requirement either - I don't think Florida has any requirements on them yet, right? I bet they are there as an option for people who want to wear them and to maybe keep people from wearing "real world" looking masks instead.

I'm not convinced it will be a requirement either - I don't think Florida has any requirements on them yet, right? I bet they are there as an option for people who want to wear them and to maybe keep people from wearing "real world" looking masks instead.
There is currently no statewide mask order in Florida, and that doesn't seem to be the direction they're heading.

People in areas where masks are required get used to wearing them and seeing them on everyone when they're out, so it becomes normalized to them, and makes them feel safe. So they begin to feel that it will be the norm everwhere else, because it's normal where they are. Disney knows that some of their initial guests are going to only feel comfortable wearing masks, so Disney therefore wants to make Disney themed masks available. That will please the guests who buy them, and make the parks/cruises look a little less sterile, if many of those wearing face coverings are wearing Disney ones.

Where I live in Florida it is required to wear a mask inside stores, supermarkets, etc when going out.

It seems as though more people are wearing masks by choice lately. And I have no problem with that. I think Disney is making them like a lot of other things they make available - because they know people will buy them. I have bought many Disney ears and hats that I have worn around the park but never worn at home. Many people feel more comfortable / safe wearing a mask and would probably buy one with a Disney themed one if they are at a park or on a DCL ship.

Airlines in the United States are requiring their passengers to wear masks.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/masks-delta-american-frontier/index.html

Now up to 4 airlines

Frontier
Delta
American
Jet Blue

Also Six Flags Theme Parks have announced their reopening plans which includes Protective face masks and temperature checks will be part of the “new normal” at Six Flags parks."

The cruise lines will follow, this will be the new norm, if companies mandate the wearing of face masks, you will have to comply if you want to use their services or visit their properties.

I think face masks will be required by staff, not customers.
I've been watching news of various Asian countries opening up restaurants and many have installed dividers between diners while seating or spaced seating out by taking away tables/chairs. Small restaurants are cutting capacity to create room for social distancing. Most have included temperature readers.

To me, DCL is basically a big restaurant. So that aspect is easily taken care of, just limit the capacity on ships, temperature readings and staff is masked. I think the challenge will come more with how to keep the children safe in the clubs.

Only DCL knows the exact percentage of occupancy that is expected to make a profit. Due to high fixed cost, it's a safe bet that %50-%75 occupancy will not make a profit. %75-%90 is maybe range. The %90+ range is the target for profitability.

The same is true for airline. If they don't fill the middle seats, there taking a loss!

How many loosing cruises/flights can the company withstand before going bankrupt?

-Paul

Is it 100F with 80% humidity where you work?
In quite a few places where people have to wear N95's to work, yes it is that hot and humid if not more. We have a bunch lying around at my house because my partner does industrial repair (eg fixes the machinery at refineries, power plants, etc). If the employees don't want their lungs sliced up by particles in cokers, they wear N95 masks (also because the plants require them, liability, etc) inside the buildings they house these incredible heat/steam producing machines.

It isn't ideal, but those blue collar workers know, its possible when its necessary. That being said, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get my partner to wear one on vacation. He's still annoyed he has to wear one to get into air conditioned Costco. It will come down to, if they require it, are people willing to put up with the discomfort to be on their vacations? Personally I'd gladly wear one in the parks, because we tend to spend a lot of time in the resort and just pop into the parks throughout the day, but on a cruise ... it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Last edited:
That’s easy. I won’t.
I also suspect this will all change
It will come down to, if they require it, are people willing to put up with the discomfort to be on their vacations? Personally I'd gladly wear one in the parks, because we tend to spend a lot of time in the resort and just pop into the parks throughout the day, but on a cruise ... it wouldn't be worth it to me.

I suspect as the pandemic dies down, airlines will no longer require masks. (And really, no one is flying right now anyway.)

As for me, NO, I go on vacations to have fun. I find masks hot and uncomfortable. So, NO, I won't go on a vacation where a mask is required.

I think they'll require masks for crew so they don't get sick but masks for passengers while a step in the right effort is not at all practical on a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter