Will DCL go bankrupt?

DCL and the cruise industry are not one and the same. Unlike the other cruise lines, DCL is backed by the corporate behemoth, Disney. They also only have 4 ships in service, so they aren't taking the same kind of beating that Carnival, Norwegian & Royal are currently taking. DCL has better optics than the other mass market lines because of the Disney branding, so it's going to retain most of its clientele after this storm passes. And the upcoming (non-cancelled) cruises are still pretty full. It's not like everyone is jumping ship. I have deposits currently on a December 2020 cruise and a July 2021 cruise, and am not worried about losing that money at all.

I'm not canceling my July 2021 cruise either!

DCL and the cruise industry are not one and the same. Unlike the other cruise lines, DCL is backed by the corporate behemoth, Disney. They also only have 4 ships in service, so they aren't taking the same kind of beating that Carnival, Norwegian & Royal are currently taking. DCL has better optics than the other mass market lines because of the Disney branding, so it's going to retain most of its clientele after this storm passes. And the upcoming (non-cancelled) cruises are still pretty full. It's not like everyone is jumping ship. I have deposits currently on a December 2020 cruise and a July 2021 cruise, and am not worried about losing that money at all.
Even if they did go through bankruptcy I wouldn't be concerned about it. There's probably a .000001% chance of that happening. It's the employees and unions that are the big losers when bankruptcy occurs. I know that from personal experience. As for the customers it's business as usual. I know there are companies that completely fold, but then there are the too big to fail companies that get bailed out.

Got two grand invested with DCL right. This makes me nervous as heck. I will keep an eye on the situation and will cancel by the end of June if I think I need to.
Cruises cancelled for the next 100 days at least. CDC declared it last night.

It wasn't clear to me when the clock started on that 100 days. Was it the day the original order first went into effect? Or was it yesterday when the CDC updated that order?

I've read a little on that acquisition and it does sound like Carnival is making a new stock offering.

:eek: Carnival is making a new stock offering in the midst of this market? That means they think their stock overvalued and they need cash. :scared: The Saudis certainly have enough money to make a bet like that. It takes money and intestinal fortitude to invest in Carnival right now.

:eek: Carnival is making a new stock offering in the midst of this market? That means they think their stock overvalued and they need cash. :scared: The Saudis certainly have enough money to make a bet like that. It takes money and intestinal fortitude to invest in Carnival right now.
I don't think this was a public offering. It sounds like it was a special deal. They certainly do need the cash as this was part of an overall financing package. Again, that's if I accurately understand the story.

It wasn't clear to me when the clock started on that 100 days. Was it the day the original order first went into effect? Or was it yesterday when the CDC updated that order?

The 100 days runs from yesterday, so to July 18.

And it is not for "at least" 100 days. It is "at most" 100 days. The order allows it to end upon the earliest of (1) the end of the HHS declaration of a public health emergency OR (2) the CDC rescinds or modifies the order OR (3) 100 days from the date of the order.

My most recent Disney cruise was the San Juan to New Orleans repo in early February. However, I also booked 4 Royal Caribbean cruises for May, September, October, and November 2020. The May cruise was cancelled on March 24th, and I chose to get the cash refund. RCI's web site said it would take about 30 days - so we'll see.

For those deciding between a refund or a future cruise credit - here's a recent article from The Points Guy suggesting that the cash refund is the better idea:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-you-should-ask-for-a-refund-not-a-credit-for-your-canceled-cruise/

The 100 days runs from yesterday, so to July 18.

And it is not for "at least" 100 days. It is "at most" 100 days. The order allows it to end upon the earliest of (1) the end of the HHS declaration of a public health emergency OR (2) the CDC rescinds or modifies the order OR (3) 100 days from the date of the order.

I'm assuming they can extend this if they feel the need? I read through the PDF on the CDC site and really couldn't tell if it could be extended or not - just making an assumption.

I'm assuming they can extend this if they feel the need? I read through the PDF on the CDC site and really couldn't tell if it could be extended or not - just making an assumption.
Yes - the CDC can just issue a new order, like they did with this one.

My most recent Disney cruise was the San Juan to New Orleans repo in early February. However, I also booked 4 Royal Caribbean cruises for May, September, October, and November 2020. The May cruise was cancelled on March 24th, and I chose to get the cash refund. RCI's web site said it would take about 30 days - so we'll see.

For those deciding between a refund or a future cruise credit - here's a recent article from The Points Guy suggesting that the cash refund is the better idea:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/why-you-should-ask-for-a-refund-not-a-credit-for-your-canceled-cruise/
Did he try to sell you a credit card too?

Yes, or they could shorten it if appropriate

i would be more worried about several airlines going belly up before i 'd worry about DCL. bad side of that is if a few do not make it, seats to any where on what ever is left will cost a mega bucks.

If I lose my two grand on my giftcards, I lose it. Nothing much I can do. I will accept that and be thankful I made it out alive. Others have lost so much more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter