will I be disappointed with another ship after sailing on Wish?

We’ve sailed all but the Dream. The Wish is by far our least favorite ship. If it’d had been our first Disney cruise, I’m not sure we would have ever done another one. We like the others, but the Fantasy is our favorite.

If it’d had been our first Disney cruise, I’m not sure we would have ever done another one.
I have to agree this is so true. We have sailed other lines, but we far prefer Disney. If we had been introduced to Disney via the wish, it would have really turned us off. You can find lists and lists on here of where they missed the mark. Now, it is also to say there are some great things about the Wish, but the cons just outweigh the pros when there are four other great DCL ships out there.

I think this comes down to how you chose to look at things. I love all of the ships because I am just thrilled to be able to go on any Disney cruise. I enjoy myself no matter where I am because that is what I CHOSE to do. All of the ships are slightly different but that does not mean good or bad, just different. It is easy to nit pick every little detail if you are looking to find issues. Why not go into it with the mindset that you are going to love your vacation instead of trying to compare? I travel quite a bit and no 2 vacations are the same, even if you go to the same place.

I’ve been on the original 4 and my favourite is the Wonder. I’ve not been on the Wish but I can’t see that any Disney ship would disappoint.
The Wonder is my favorite since the refurb. I love the way the changed the promenade lounge. They need to do something with that area on the Magic.

I have to agree this is so true. We have sailed other lines, but we far prefer Disney. If we had been introduced to Disney via the wish, it would have really turned us off. You can find lists and lists on here of where they missed the mark. Now, it is also to say there are some great things about the Wish, but the cons just outweigh the pros when there are four other great DCL ships out there.
We prefer Disney also. I can't afford Disney in Europe next Summer so were booked on Royal. When I think of Europe I think of the Magic. It's kind of sad to me their putting the Dream in Europe next year. Looking forward to trying the Wish next month I hope it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Looking forward to trying the Wish next month I hope it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Continue looking forward to it, it's not that bad. None of the issues I have are a deal breaker. If the date, destination and price are right, I'm going.

We prefer Disney also. I can't afford Disney in Europe next Summer so were booked on Royal. When I think of Europe I think of the Magic. It's kind of sad to me their putting the Dream in Europe next year. Looking forward to trying the Wish next month I hope it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I really enjoyed the Wish, actually more so than the Dream/Fantasy and less than the Magic/Wonder (and I agree DCL in Europe will always be Magic for me!). I'd read these boards and with the negative remarks was surprised that I liked the Wish so much, so continue to anticipate your next cruise -after all...it's not work 🤣

The Wish was still a fine cruise. We went into with the mindset of giving it a fair shot and ignoring all the negativity we heard. We enjoyed ourselves. There was not enough negative to make it a bad cruise. It was more that the ship was not as well laid out as the others. The lack of a walking deck around the ship was a huge negative, but it might not be so for others. Ultimately, I think we were 50-50 on the ship. It's the short itinerary that pushed it into the "not again" list for us. If they move it to a longer itinerary, we can talk all the trash we want but we'll still be back on her.

The Wish was still a fine cruise. We went into with the mindset of giving it a fair shot and ignoring all the negativity we heard. We enjoyed ourselves. There was not enough negative to make it a bad cruise. It was more that the ship was not as well laid out as the others. The lack of a walking deck around the ship was a huge negative, but it might not be so for others. Ultimately, I think we were 50-50 on the ship. It's the short itinerary that pushed it into the "not again" list for us. If they move it to a longer itinerary, we can talk all the trash we want but we'll still be back on her.
The lack of running track will make this a one and done for me unless it's a short cruise that I get a discount on. I hope with the next ship they listen to the complaints and incorporate a running track. I would love to know if there's been another ship built in the last 20 years that doesn't have one. It's such a strange thing for them to leave out.

I guess I’m different than most. I’ve been on all the ships and most recently the Wish. I actually dont really want to go back to the older ships too much. The Wish was a breath of fresh air. The other four ships are almost all completely identical. A different named lounge here or there, a different named restaurant that that is basically the same here and there. We’ve in the past 5 years or so have started branching out more and cruising more on other lines like Royal and Princess. I enjoy the differences. I love the Disney magic, but it was getting old with their 4 ships being the same. My next Disney cruise will likely be on the Treasure. Meanwhile, we have 2 upcoming Royal reservations and looking at NCL. I’ll always come back to Disney after while, but i‘d like to see more innovation and changes in their ship layouts (other than getting rid of the walking track, that was just an absolute terrible call). I’m looking forward to see what they can do with that Global Dream ship they bought, and what their other two ships are going to look like. I think you’ll have a good time no matter which ship you go on next, but starting with the Wish is a unique perspective on sailing Disney, so likely you’ll be among the first to tell the tale of how you feel going from new design to old. Have fun whichever one you choose!

DCL has never had a great running track unless you consider dodging kids with shuffle board sticks and crew members fun. They always close down sections for the crew to do stuff and the tunnels are narrow. It’s better than nothing though. Royal an carnival put there tracks on the upper decks and they are dedicated running tracks. Royals are awesome. I would like to see DCL do that with the next ship.

The Wonder is my favorite since the refurb. I love the way the changed the promenade lounge. They need to do something with that area on the Magic.
Totally agree! I just spent a week on the Wonder and said the EXACT same. Promenade Lounge looks so dated.

Hi all. Last month we did our 1st ever cruise and was on the Disney Wish. Loved it and we are official cruisers going forward.

I’m already looking to book our next cruise around spring break.

I would like to consider other DCL ships. The fantasy appears to be the next best option? But I’m worried that I might be disappointed considering all the others are older 10+ yrs ships and might not have all the latest amenities, etc.

My question,,,
for those who been on the Fantasy and Wish. Would you say you wouldn’t go back to the other ships and stick to the wish going forward? (Put pricing aside).

Also considering booking RCL oasis class ships.

We've been on all the ships, most recently the Wish. DW and I had a great time on the Wish, as we have on every DCL cruise. We probably prefer Fantasy overall, that will be the next cruise for just DW and me. But we'll be back. When we take our granddaughter in a couple of years it will be Wish 100%. She will go crazy for all the princess and frozen stuff! Honestly I can't imagine anyone who loved the Wish not enjoying the other DCL ships as well. You'll like some things better about Wish and vice versa. You really should try some of the others and see which you like best, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't worry about the age of the ships, DCL ships are impeccably maintained (in general, obviously some issues occur), and 10 years old is basically brand new for a cruise ship. Every few years they go into dry dock to get refreshed and new features/amenities added.

The RCL Oasis ships are very good too. A very different vibe from DCL though.

We are doing our first Disney cruise on the Wish but I keep hearing so many complaints that now I’m scared and maybe should change to a different Disney ship. I love the more updated and clean light style of the Wish. The other ships seem to have more darker woods and tones which aren’t my favorite but since I’ve never been on another Disney ship and have only seen photos or YouTube vlogs I wonder if I should just stick with the Wish and give it a try? I feel like most people who don’t really care for it are more seasoned cruisers who have come to love a specific Disney ship.

We are doing our first Disney cruise on the Wish but I keep hearing so many complaints that now I’m scared and maybe should change to a different Disney ship. I love the more updated and clean light style of the Wish. The other ships seem to have more darker woods and tones which aren’t my favorite but since I’ve never been on another Disney ship and have only seen photos or YouTube vlogs I wonder if I should just stick with the Wish and give it a try? I feel like most people who don’t really care for it are more seasoned cruisers who have come to love a specific Disney ship.
I think this assessment is largely accurate -- some people who had already developed a liking for some or all of the previous Disney Cruise Line ships were disappointed in the Wish because it didn't have all of the features of those ships. Some people like the Wish better, and some like all of the ships for different reasons.

I would not cancel your first Disney cruise just because some people didn't like the Wish as much as they did the other ships. Take your cruise and see for yourself whether you like the ship for what it is, not what it could have been.

Change is just hard for some people. The Wish is laid out differently and when a person is used to something, it messes with them when things are not where they "should" be. All of the ships have something that is "not perfect". Go and enjoy yourself. The only thing that I take seriously are real issues like health and sanitation.

Don't let the complainers scare you off. If the Wish is the ship that appeals to you the most, go for it. A lot of the stuff people complain about don't matter to me at all. I took the complaints I read with a grain of salt, went on myself and made up my own mind. It's a departure from how Disney have done their ships, so there are bound to be some who prefer the old style.

Personally I'm glad they built in a different style, even if they didn't hit every single mark. We already have 4 in the "classic" DCL style, we didn't need another one IMO

DCL has never had a great running track unless you consider dodging kids with shuffle board sticks and crew members fun. They always close down sections for the crew to do stuff and the tunnels are narrow. It’s better than nothing though. Royal an carnival put there tracks on the upper decks and they are dedicated running tracks. Royals are awesome. I would like to see DCL do that with the next ship.

r.e. bold -- Oasis and Wonder of the Seas jogging track(great length and quiet at 3AM) is on Deck 5 with the direct access to the Fitness(Gym) area when open.

r.e. bold -- Oasis and Wonder of the Seas jogging track(great length and quiet at 3AM) is on Deck 5 with the direct access to the Fitness(Gym) area when open.

For some reason I thought it was higher. Great track though. Carnivals was on the top deck. It was a little too Sunny and small, but it worked.

I think this assessment is largely accurate -- some people who had already developed a liking for some or all of the previous Disney Cruise Line ships were disappointed in the Wish because it didn't have all of the features of those ships. Some people like the Wish better, and some like all of the ships for different reasons.

I would not cancel your first Disney cruise just because some people didn't like the Wish as much as they did the other ships. Take your cruise and see for yourself whether you like the ship for what it is, not what it could have been.
Thank you for your valuable input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter