Will our DVC help?

wtpclc

<font color=red>Has three great loves: Mickey, Po
I know there's been a million threads on cammando park habits and DVC. I keep wondering whether or not it will change us. It is just the 2 of us and we commando like you would not believe. We find ourselves getting up early and staying otut extra late every day. We are exhausted by teh time we get home. We joked that if we had children and put them through our Disney days, that we'd be arrested for abuse. :blush:

Well, I've been trying to figure out if DVC would help us as it has others. We still plan on only oging about every other year, but it's an imporvement from every 3 to 4 years.

Well, dh and I were talking last night and he noted that he did not realize there were tht many palces in the park to sit and relax. I agreed that I've heard of a lot of them, but never really seen any as we whizzed from place to place. He said, "Why would you sit and relax? You'll miss something!"

I informed him that DVC was supposed to help that, because we know we'll be coming back and we'll be coming back more often.

"But we'll miss something this time!!!!" He was just outraged at the thought of slowing our trips down. :rotfl2:

Do you think there's hope for us or will we be forced to a lifetime of slaving to our commando ways? :p

You'll slow down. I did. Once I started going every year, it came to be that there really were not that many new things to see on my trips. So, I can take it more easy and see things at a slower pace.

Even your post made me tired.

I have been going to WDW EVERY year since 1976. And 3 and 4 times a year since we joined DVC in 1996. I used to go non stop when I was young (not that I am old, I am only 42 now) and we didn't know when we would be back. But now it is a different story. I spend a total of about MAYBE two hours every other day in a park when I am in The World. For me, my vacation is not about the parks, but about the great DVC resorts, sleeping late, reading by the pools, relaxing over a cold drink in one of the bars, having a wonderful meal in one of the restaurants, slow walks around world showcase in the evening, watching the fireworks, seeing the holiday decorations, strolling through beautiful gardens, enjoying the food and wine festival, the list could go on and on... I think THAT is what you are currently missing.

But you should vacation however you want. If the non stop type of Disney trip is what you enjoy, then why slow down?

I have found that DVC did not stop my commando ways, but having an AP did.
When we used park hoppers we did not go to the parks every day, but the days we did it was a commando day. This past trip, with AP's, we took breaks each day and enjoyed the trip much more.

It hasn't stopped our Commando style and I doubt it ever will. We are a family of 5 and trying to make it a family of 7 and there is no way we could do Disney other than Commando style DVC or not.

It can if you realize there is more to Disney than rushing from attraction to attraction. For example do you know the significance and history to the windows above main street shops in MK? Read up on it then go explore. Enjoy the architecture and the fine details Disney adds. Look for hidden Mickey's. Enjoy the music and aromas that abound throughout the WDW resort. Enjoy watching the street performances that occur around the world, in MGM and the other parks.

Enjoy a conversation with a cast memeber or two. They can tell you much about the parks and what to watch for. Certainly do this in the World showcase at Epcot where cast members can also tell you about their homelands. And at AKL. The Cast members are really what make the WDW such a wonderful place to visit over and over again.

The point is you ARE missing a lot as you rush from ride to ride. You are missing the details, the hidden gems of WDW

With park hopper passes, we felt like we had to spend all day in the parks to get our monies worth. Now with AP, we don't feel like we are using a "day" on our pass, so we just go at our leisure. We have changed our ways with the purchase of DVC because now I know I will be back and staying on property so I can see something I missed the next time. Sometimes we don't even do all 4 parks and just choose which ones we really want to go to. I love the change, because we can enjoy all the sights and sounds of the whole WDW property. We went to the Sports complex for the first time last January. I really didn't even know what was over there. We leave tomorrow for the World and I can't wait. Taking my sister and brother-in-law. We want to show them what it is like without kids or grandchildren. It can be relaxing.

Binnie :banana:

Sitting by the lake at Epcot and sipping a beer while watching the families whiz by on their quest to the next attraction makes us extremely glad that DVC has allowed us to visit many more times than most. We always see the same scene every time we go, the father briskly walking 5 or 10 paces in front of the poor wife who's trying to keep up by herding the children as quickly as she can while he makes hurry up motions with his hands to the laggards. We find that due to our now slower pace, we have found many things to enjoy at the parks that have nothing to do with rides or attractions. Epcot and AK are especially good places to relax and take in sights most people just rush by on their way to the next ride.

But, everyone likes different things. Some folks don't like to slow down on vacation, and the thought of stopping just to examine the flora and fauna of the parks probably would seem dull to them anyway. But I do like the fact the WDW parks offer many more subtle things for those who are interested in more than just rides.

Credit Man said:
I have found that DVC did not stop my commando ways, but having an AP did.
When we used park hoppers we did not go to the parks every day, but the days we did it was a commando day. This past trip, with AP's, we took breaks each day and enjoyed the trip much more.
This is a great point. While we were in the "semi-commando" mode before DVC, we found that DVC ownership did slow us down some. And getting AP's helped even more as we didn't feel the need to "start early and stay late" in order to get "value" out of our hopper pass for that day.

Some people truly enjoy the commando style. For them, and it sounds like your husband might be one of them, it's simply more fun to rush around and do a lot of things.

So we don't know if DVC will break you of your commando habits. Maybe spending a couple of days enjoying the non-park part of WDW will help you in the future. There's so much more to WDW than the four parks.

Well, I've been trying to figure out if VDC would help us as it has others.
Frankly Carrie, I'm not sure I'd want to belong to THAT club!! :earseek:

:rotfl:

There's nothing wrong with going commando if that's what's fun for you. But when it stops being fun, then DVC gives you the confidence that you can stay enough days and make enough trips to see everything without busting a gut.

You may find that you go more often than every other year. That's what has happened to my friends and I. We go more often and are definitely less commando. Now, sometimes I will get up late, sit on the balcony for awhile and not hit a park until evening.

With DVC and an AP, you'll be cruising the airline sites and see that airfare for $115 RT and think "Wow, we can pop down for a long weekend." Next thing you know you're calling MS to see what's available.

Cyn

DVC definitely slowed us down. DH and I are in our early 30s and have been together for 13 years, married for 6 1/2, DVC member for 5. for the last 10 years, we done WDW about 2-3 per year, but in the beginning we always did it commando style because our trips were shorter than we'd like -- 5 days at most -- and we never planned more than 3 months in advance. With DVC, we still go 2-3 times per year, but we plan in advance so we always have another trip in the works and at least one of those trips is a full 9 days, encompassing two weekends, during an especially slow season. We always know we're going back, so there's not as much crush to do EVERYTHING.

We've made a concious effort to slow down and enjoy it more. We write a list of the things we definitely want to see for each trip and make sure to hit a few each day. On our last full day, we complete the list if there's anything left.

We've also done other things to slow ourselves down. We created a list of things outside the usually park stuff that we'd like to try and we pick one of those each trip -- last trip was Dine with an Imagineer. I think next trip will be parasailing, if weather permits (late January can be cold, and too windy).

We also have a list of sitdown restaurants we've never been to. We make it a priority to eat pick at least one on each trip, so we're assured one slow, relaxing meal. And if we're staying at a DVC with room service, we plan one day to have room service breakfast -- delivery at 9 a.m.! I'm up by 6 a.m. almost every day, so this really forced me to JUST RELAX (or go to the gym, as if usually the case!).

And remember, when you're just sitting and relaxing, you may find that you were missing something you never knew was there! That's how we found the fountains set to music in Future World, the living statues in Italy (which I miss terribly!!!) and The British Invasion (great Beatles cover band in England pavilion). We do love to relax at Epcot!!!

First of all, I had a different definition of 'going commando' than the OP, which made it for much more interesting reading, but I figured out what they meant quickly :>

Vacation styles vary greatly.

I have a friend who fits to a 'T' the style of the OP. They want to get their moneys worth out of their vacation, and want to see and do everything. For them, the hotel is only there for non park hours.

I want to not be rushed, and I want to relax. In the room, at the pool, in the park on a bench, etc. We've found that at DL, you can pretty much get on any ride you want within the first few hours. So we hit the park at opening, go from attraction to attraction (esp the popular ones that will be packed later), and by 10:30 or so, we call it quits for the rushing, and shift into relaxed mode. We usually head back to the hotel before noon, and spend the hot hours of the day by the pool, or in the hotels.

My vacation would be *ruined* if I went with my friend. I couldn't stand his schedule. And the thought of *leaving* the park before noon would just ruin his stay -- he'd go bonkers at the pool!

-Shawn

The point made about AP's is interesting. That is what finally relaxed my DH. He's already saying that he won't mind if I look in the shops because he's got an AP! This will be our first trip with the AP's.

I must admit that I don't try to slow dh down. :blush: I woudl lkie to see all of these other things, but there are things I HAVE tohit, but we are only there 6-7 days.

Good point about the APs. However, to get your money's worth out of an AP, you shoudl be there more than 10 days a year. I think that would help. I think, once we get over our AK cruise deficit, perhaps we will up our frequency of visits.

I like the "Found a good flight, let's go theory." I could work with that. We are actually going to take a tour next time. Then afgain, Segways could just help us commando more. :teeth:

Thanks for letting me know we're not completely nuts and ther eis hop to someday spend a day at the pool. Maybe even read a book? Then again, maybe we'll be 85 and running people down with our souped up, more power ECVs. ;)

wtpclc said:
I know there's been a million threads on cammando park habits and DVC. I keep wondering whether or not it will change us. It is just the 2 of us and we commando like you would not believe. We find ourselves getting up early and staying otut extra late every day. We are exhausted by teh time we get home. We joked that if we had children and put them through our Disney days, that we'd be arrested for abuse. :blush:

Well, I've been trying to figure out if DVC would help us as it has others. We still plan on only oging about every other year, but it's an imporvement from every 3 to 4 years.

Well, dh and I were talking last night and he noted that he did not realize there were tht many palces in the park to sit and relax. I agreed that I've heard of a lot of them, but never really seen any as we whizzed from place to place. He said, "Why would you sit and relax? You'll miss something!"

I informed him that DVC was supposed to help that, because we know we'll be coming back and we'll be coming back more often.

"But we'll miss something this time!!!!" He was just outraged at the thought of slowing our trips down. :rotfl2:

Do you think there's hope for us or will we be forced to a lifetime of slaving to our commando ways? :p

That's exactly the way I used to be-"Theme park commando". That's a major reason why DH wasn't a big fan of WDW-I exhausted him. But I've really changed my ways! When he realized, shortly after we joined DVC, that the park was open one morning, and I was STILL on the balcony, in my jammies, relaxing, he probably wondered who this was and what happened to his wife! Yes, I never thought I would say this, but I'm a former theme park commando. And so DH actually looks forward to our trips now.

wtpclc said:
Good point about the APs. However, to get your money's worth out of an AP, you shoudl be there more than 10 days a year.
Before the DVC big discount, it used to be about a 8-9 day breakeven for AP vs Park Hoppers. Now with the new ticket pricing, I'm not sure, but I have to think that the discount is cutting that breakeven down to 6 or 7 days? Like I said, I haven't done the math, but I'm sure that someone has! :)

Not sure if it was DVC or the AP's we have purchased every year since joining, but we finally did settle down to non-commando trips. I kind of think the combination of the AP and DVC is responsible.

I used to be a theme park commando as well. And since we bought DVC and AP's and used them for the first time together, I'm guess I'm not sure which should/would get more credit for breaking me out of that mode. I imagine it would be DVC though. Just knowing that we have that certain amount of points coming to us every year means I know were always going to be "coming home" again soon.
It was really lovely to just relax and slow down on our trip last Christmas. I particularly remember sitting on a bench in the United Kingdom's garden area with my DH and just enjoying being in EPCOT, relaxing with my DH and watching the world go by.

We try to savor the journey as much as the destination. If you hurry through life, you miss the little joys. If you commando thru WDW, its the same thing, you miss the subtle jokes, details, "sensory tickles" that the imagineers have placed so well. If you hop on Dumbo already thinking about what ride or attraction is next, do you REALLY enjoy Dumbo? Maybe for some the answer is yes-its a matter of perspective. What ever you decide, have a magical vacation. BTW, DVC has already made us say several times-"we'll see that next time" and we just bought a couple months ago!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter