• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will the characters deliver a gift at the character meals???

pjlla

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this? I was planning on "sneaking" a gift for my child along and having the hostess give it to a character to bring to my child during a character birthday meal. I have seen on another thread lots of parents who planned the same thing. But I have also had people tell me that the characters won't do this. Problem being.... wouldn't little Suzy be sad if Mickey or Cinderella brought the child at the next table a gift and not her.... understandable enough. But disappointing as I was excited about my child getting a gift from a character for their birthday! LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE TRIED THIS!! I don't want to bother to drag along a gift if it won't work.... Thanks....P:wave:

To my knowledge they don't do that, but you could try another angle... When I worked at the Wilderness Lodge I met a family on these boards that wanted to do something special for their daughter for her first trip to Disney World. I agreed to help them out when they checked in. Mom came into the hotel before dad and the daughter and slipped me a package which I took into the back office. When they came to check in 5 minutes later I said O' my so your Lauren... With that I explained to Lauren that Cinderella had left her a package and that if she came around to the side of the desk I would go get it for her. I went back and got the gift (which was a complete Cinderella costume, make up and all) and explained to her that she had breakfast with Cinderella the next morning and that Cinderella had sent this stuff over for her so she could wear it. It was really magical...and to Lauren it didn't matter "who" gave it to her, it was From Cinderella... That was almost 3 years ago and to this day I remain very close friends with that family :)

Just a thought for you, it is still a gift from their favorite character without being given to them by that character :)

I agree that telling the child who gave her the gift is just as good as actually getting the gift from that person. When we flew to Orlando to go to Disney with my dgrdd Mickey left her a present on her seat in the car. We picked her up at her house and when she got into the car we told her that Mickey had sent that present for her to bring to Disney with her. It was a little Minnie Mouse doll. She loved it. Now her younger sister carries it around because she wants to go to Disney and thinks that it will bring her luck.
tigercat

Thanks for the great ideas! But I am still hoping to hear from someone who has actually tried it..... ANYONE OUT THERE WHO HAS TRIED THIS????

When I ordered the chocolate slipper desert, I asked the CM if Cinderella could bring it to our table (we will be dining at the 1900 Park Fare Dinner). The very nice CM said that they couldn't do that because other children would expect the same thing. The other children might think that Cinderella didn't like them as well since they wouldn't be getting the same special treat. It made since to me.

We asked about this at Chef Mickey's one night a few years ago. We were celebrating a 3-year old birthday. We were told the characters cannot give gifts to the guests. So when Minnie came to our table I had the gift in my hand & presented it to the little girl as Minnie was visiting with her. I made sure to "tell" Minnie that it was the little girl's birthday.

Thanks for the first-hand info..... Guess I will have to re-think the birthday plans......:wave:

We are going to wait until she falls asleep the night before her birthday (a la Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus) and sneak her presents on the dresser in the hotel room. I plan to include a card that says "Happy Birthday, Skylar! I can't wait to see you at dinner tonight. Love, Cinderella"

Maybe a little "magic" in your room would work as well? :)

Hope you budget situation has worked itself out.... Have a great trip!!! (and a great wedding!)....P

Thanks!!

It did - sort of. :) We switched hotels, and decided that spending money isn't that important - we can each get a souveneir, but we don't have to have a ton of spending cash each day. So, we'll be able to eat, and sleep, and drive...and have fun - but not bring home a whole suitcase of stuff ;)

We're hoping DD will get Disney Dollars for her birthday - which will be celebrated with the family after the wedding (she got $50 from my Mom already in a card!) :) YAY! For me, it's all about the kids - so as long as they can get a few special things, it will be all the merrier for me :)

No the characters won't do it for the reasons everyone explained above. I tried to slip Cinderella a locket for my DD, no way! DD saw Cinderella leaning over towards me and us whispering. When we left I told her that Cinderella slipped me the necklace to give to her. She was wide eyed and awed and had that necklace on for months. Why don't you leave breakfast and then say oops you left something at the table, when you come out of the restaurant you can tell her that the Princesses gave you a gift for her special day. Believe me she will believe and be just as happy.

Also beware that they will not allow you to bring a wrapped gift into the park. We just returned and had a meal planned for each of my children's birthdays while we were there I had a small wrapped gift that I was taking into MGM, the guard at the front had me unwrap it so that he could see inside. When I thought about it, it made perfect sense not to allow me to bring it into the park. For DD later in the week we used a gift bag, so the guard could see inside.:D

On my DD's 4th Bday (3 years ago) the hostess at CRT took a small gift from me when we checked in and had it sitting at Morganne's place when we arrived. The table was decorated with confetti. My daughter didn't know exactly which "Princess" to thank, so she made a huge deal with each of them. It is a very special memory for all of us.

This year since we are staying at YC Concierge level for my DD's 7th bday. Lauren - our trip planner - has agreed to get another small gift to CRT prior to our 9:45 AM breakfast on Morganne's birthday morning. I don't think Cinderella will actually give the gift, rather I assume it will be waiting at the table like last time.

Hope this helps...

Morganne's Mommy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter