Will there be anything we can do with a 1 year old?

1KellyDB

Earning My Ears
We have already booked a cruise on the Wonder for July 6th and I just read the post about non potty trained kids and pool use. Is there ANYTHING on board or in port that we can do with a 1, 3 and 12 year old? I wish we would have waited a few years to cruise now. We were looking forward to using the pool. Also, is the babysitting area available while in port? I plan on using it a couple of times but I don't want my kids in there everyday all day. Thanks for any help!
Kelly

Hi Kelly! I am also travelling with a little one, just 18 mo. and a 9 year old. We plan on leaving her in Flounders while we do some of our shore excursions (like scuba and snorkelling) and taking her with us when we are just sightseeing.

On board, we will just take turns going into the pools. For example, DH and I will rotate between nap duty, that way the other person will have time to relax by the pool or whatever.

Good luck!

We cruised with a 6 month old and are going again with a 18 month old. The best idea is to go up on deck and get a spot either by Mickey ears or under the slide waiting area. Then you cuold have your little one in shade while the others swim. Not sure if yours would be upset seeign the others in the pool but my son could care less. Whenit was hot we brought over a little water and splashed him.
Also look for the times that the club is open for family time. I believe they are odd hours like early morning and close to dinner but your little one could play on the things in there then for a little recreation.
Maybe you could find others with little ones and they could play near the pool area, Bring along bubbles that you could blow to keep them occupied.

This is what I did when we cruised with our then 18 month old. We brought a couple of buckets, cups, and shovels mainly for the beach. We then brought my DS up to the mickey pool and sat him down on the rubberized mat area next to the pool. DH and I took turns filling the buckets with water from the mickey pool, and he sat by the side and LOVED playing with the water. He had a blast doing little "experiements" with the water. It also was shady over there, and DS had fun. DD 4 was able to play in the Mickey Pool, and we were able to watch both of them. Also, there is family time in both the nursery and the clubs where you can take your little one. I believe Flounders is open from 1-4 or 5 during port days, so you can do things in the afternoon.

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately the poolside playing will not work with us. While my 13 month old will be happy to sit and play, my 3 yo that isn't potty trained will not. My dh and I will have to take turns with our 12 yo. We will have to take advantage of the family time in Flounders and the clubs and then of course he can go to the beach with us in port. Thanks again for the ideas!

Kelly

Hi!

We traveled last Oct. and it was fine. We went for walks and went to almost every character greeting. (DS is as big fan!) We use d Flounders four times and that was great. DS love it. On our next trip, we will go to family time in Flounders & the Oceaneers Club.

BTW, I believe your 3 y.o. will have to be toilet trained to be left at the Oceaneers Club.

Enjoy your trip!

I dont know if you have a veranda or not, but I did see someones post that they brought a little pool with them, just one of the rubber ones you can blow up and used it by the pool. I was thinking if you had a veranda you could even put it there, I know they are small but just a thought. I think even with this you will have a great trip.

I just read somewhere (on this board perhaps?) that the Disney cruise line has a splashy area for swim diaper toddlers. This sounds ideal for my 18mo old. Hoefully this works for others!

Dizzy Laura
:tongue:

Originally posted by DizzyLaura
I just read somewhere (on this board perhaps?) that the Disney cruise line has a splashy area for swim diaper toddlers. This sounds ideal for my 18mo old. Hoefully this works for others!

Dizzy Laura
:tongue:

I am sooooo hoping this is true! My boys will be thrilled and so will I!

This information is given in one of the threads at the top of the page. Great news for those with kids wearing swimmie pants!

Erin :D

Originally posted by 1KellyDB
my 3 yo that isn't potty trained will not. My dh and I will have to take turns with our 12 yo.
Kelly

Your 3 yo will have to be potty trained to enjoy the Oceaneer's Club.

On our recent cruise, we gave signing out privileges to our 12 yo. It was great!! (After 3 or 4 days, we did the same with our 9yo.) They spent their time between the clubs, the game room and the pool. Since our 3yo wouldn't stay in the club, he was with us the entire time.

I understand that my DS can not be left in the Oceaneers club but can't he go in there for family time with me?

Absolutely - that's what family time is for. The potty-training rule is for kids who are left in the clubs as the CMs won't/can't assist the children with the logistics associated with pottying. Have fun during family time!

BTW, webMaster Michelle started the thread with the announcement about DCL creating the swim area for infants/toddlers - by blocking off one of Mickey's ears that has fountain shoots of water and will not cycle the same h2o as what is in the main pool area, so enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter