Will we have to change our attitude about Bus Service?

LIFERBABE

DVC MEMBER @ BCV BWV OKW SSR BLT AKV
As members of DVC, we are footing the bill for our portion of Bus Service at WDW.
We are making adjustments at home to compensate for the rising gas prices, but what about our DVC homes?

We have all become accustomed to not waiting more than 15-20 minutes for a bus at WDW and when longer, we complain.

Our transportation dues could increase significantly if we want to maintain that level of service.

So will DVCers prefer to maintain a more frequent bus schedule or pay more dues?

Something else to think about, but you are right. Gas prices are skyrocketing, beyond what we Americans ever imagined.

Somehow we'll deal with it. It may be time for serious thought about alternate energy sources.

Think about gas prices, or about the Members Cruise, I know what's on my mind!!! :goodvibes

Bobbi

bobbiwoz said:
Something else to think about, but you are right. Gas prices are skyrocketing, beyond what we Americans ever imagined.

Somehow we'll deal with it. It may be time for serious thought about alternate energy sources.

Think about gas prices, or about the Members Cruise, I know what's on my mind!!! :goodvibes

Bobbi
I actually think we are long past the time to "THINK ABOUT" alternate energy. With fossile fuels expected to run out in 20-25 years, we should have been doing this for years already.

I agree. 20-25 years until we run out of fuel is not a lot of time to ensure that we have a reliable energy source. I have been concerned with this for some time.

Part of the problem with alternative fuels is that gov't incentives ruled out gas and went for hydrogen or electric only. That's why we're just getting the hybrids now. I think that really is the way to go and am hoping my next vehicle wil be a hybrid, if teh higher price of vehicle is justfied by the gas savings. The early hybrids did not have much power, but I thikn tehy're getting really good now.

dianeschlicht said:
I actually think we are long past the time to "THINK ABOUT" alternate energy. With fossile fuels expected to run out in 20-25 years, we should have been doing this for years already.

Carter was the only president with the vision to see this. He had all sorts of programs to research alternative energy, but Reagan canceled them all, and no one else has picked up the ball. We as a nation would be sitting pretty now if our leaders had followed through on what Carter started.

I know there are school districts in KY who use hybrid fuel, some sort of grain mixture. I'm pretty sure that the diesel buses didn't need major overhaul to use the fuel or it would have negated the savings to the district. So there is some technology out there.

Bobbi :sunny:

Ethanol is being used. That is what is made from corn. Ther eare downsides to that too, although I cannnot think of them at the moment. When referring to hybrid, though, you are typically speaking of a gas/electric vehicle. As we are learning that many alternative fuels, hydrogen and pure electric for example, are not practicle, many are coming to realize that hybrids are a great compromose using the best of both worlds. However, because of our focus on "anything but gas", hybrids are not as advanced as tehy should be.

Forgive me for getting technical, but dh is in teh auto industry and I am in the environmental world and, threefore, know enough to be dangerous. ;)

If you have to concern yourself with dues increases for the bus service, then you should not be a member in the first place. Sorry, to put it that way but far too many people bought into the membership that can not afford it. I hope you are not one of them.

I wonder how Disney feels about it's whole Magical Express service. Gasoline just went up to $3.09 here.

My sister drives a car that takes high test and she travels lots and her fill ups cost over $60 so far every other day. I'm not sure that anyone has planned that into their budget.

Pa@okw95, I hope lots of people haven't bought into DVC beyond their budget. LIFERBABE was just trying to get us going about some current concerns.

Without children in tow, I don't mind the wait for buses. Last week, the longest wait we had from the BWV was for the Member's Block Party, we waited about 30 minutes, but there were people who waited 45+. As I said, I especially feel for the people who have children, and that's most of them.

Bobbi

The people that I know and consider to be "comfortable/well-off" have worked hard for every dime, not too many trust fund babies in my neck of the woods. By keeping a keen eye on their finances, they hope to eventually be able to reward themselves with a few pleasures. For us, it's the DVC. Doesn't mean that we wouldn't be concerned with a huge DVC dues increase. Fortunately, for most of us, DVC practices an egalitarianistic approach as to who can buy into it. New money, old money, home equity loan, 401K raider; everyone's money is welcome @ Mickey's house. :rolleyes:

Actually, the city that I used to live in recently built a BioDiesel plant and all of the city vehicles are running on that. Basically it's a mixture of diesel and reprocessed used vegetable oil.

This is really interesting and I've read quite a few articles. One was about a guy that had something put in his car so that he could run off used vegetable oil that didn't need to have anything done to it. The cars run off diesel until the vegetable oil heats up and then he just flips a switch. Restaurants are thrilled that he's taking their old cooking oil since it costs them more to dispose of it than to buy it initially.

If we could get the country to do this the benefits would be tremendous!
1) no more dependence on foreign oil
2) better for the environment
3) the farmers would be GROWING our fuel and everyone knows that they need the work

Also, Willie Nelson *(I think) has opened up BioDiesel gas pumps at truck stops and it's selling pretty well. There's really not a price cut from regular diesel right now, but in the future...who knows what the possibilites are.

GM has a hydrogen fuel cell technology that they hope to bring to market in teh next 4 years apparently. I know there are a few companies working on Hydrogen fuel motocycles and dielsel motorcycles. The conversion for diesel vehichles is called greasel www.greasel.com it uses old cooking greas as fuel. I mean the initial outlay may be a bit but when you consider the number of restaurants at WDW they would have an abundance of old cooking grease to convert to fuel all the busses.

sometimes Disney buses don't smell - other times I need a gas mask.

so they switch fuels themselves.

Pa@okw95 said:
If you have to concern yourself with dues increases for the bus service, then you should not be a member in the first place. Sorry, to put it that way but far too many people bought into the membership that can not afford it. I hope you are not one of them.

WOW Pa@okw95 you are so negative.

bobbiwoz said:
I wonder how Disney feels about it's whole Magical Express service. Gasoline just went up to $3.09 here.

My sister drives a car that takes high test and she travels lots and her fill ups cost over $60 so far every other day. I'm not sure that anyone has planned that into their budget.

Pa@okw95, I hope lots of people haven't bought into DVC beyond their budget. LIFERBABE was just trying to get us going about some current concerns.

Without children in tow, I don't mind the wait for buses. Last week, the longest wait we had from the BWV was for the Member's Block Party, we waited about 30 minutes, but there were people who waited 45+. As I said, I especially feel for the people who have children, and that's most of them.

Bobbi

That's exactly what I was trying to do. We have become accustomed to not waiting for busses at WDW. Disney may decide to run busses more infrequently regardless of what we are paying for dues, and how much more in dues are we members willing to pay to maintain the current level of service?

Our local school district adjusted school hours this year because of transportation costs and bussing.

As for our budget, I am used to living below my means, and although I don't have to, we make certain choices to own DVC. It is a luxury, and I choose it over other luxuries. And I am concerned about all my pennies and what they are used for.

wtpclc said:
Part of the problem with alternative fuels is that gov't incentives ruled out gas and went for hydrogen or electric only. That's why we're just getting the hybrids now. I think that really is the way to go and am hoping my next vehicle wil be a hybrid, if teh higher price of vehicle is justfied by the gas savings. The early hybrids did not have much power, but I thikn tehy're getting really good now.

Some of the best inventions were made without gov't incentives. That's no excuse for waiting. Got to go and change a burnt out light bulb. Thank god Edison didn't wait around for a hand out!!!

Drove behind a motorhome for 40 miles once. Made me hungry, it smelled like fried chicken. We both stopped at a KFC. He collected the used cooking oil. He converted it to burn both diesel and vegetable oil. The only problem he said he had was his waist line. Whenever they stop at campground he has his wife make fried chicken so the can get home the next day. :rolleyes:

In the late 1990s Disney was investigating replacing the bus system with a combination of expanded monorail, light rail and similar elevated transit service. Of course the expanded monorail and light rail concepts go way back to some of the earliest WDW development concepts -- even to the EPCOT that Walt contemplated as his Florida project. Cost and other technological issues seem to get in the way.

We have stopped using the bus service because of the inconsistent performance of the wheelchair lifts. After three consecutive trips with multiple bus problems we figured rental cars would be much easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter