"Will You Take Our Picture?" in WDW

DestinationDisney

dreams do come true...
When my boyfriend and I were in WDW and we wanted a picture of ourselves together, we'd just ask a stranger that was walking by if they'd mind taking a picture of the 2 of us. We always offered to return the favor, but some people hesitated at my offer.

Now I understand why....I'm currently looking into purchasing a $350 camera, which to me, is expensive. I'm somewhat nervous about asking strangers to take our picture together, what if they ran off with our camera?! :eek:

I'd like to be the trusting person that I am, but I can't help but worry. I know there are many of you out there who have expensive cameras (ones that are over my $350 "expensive" price range).

What do you do in this situation? I would hate not to have pictures of us together this coming trip.

Not an option all the time, but look at what kind of camera someone may have. Many dSLR users will wear their camera around their neck. Just an option. Also you may find that someone will offer to take the pic for you. Especially if they see you take a pic of your BF and then him taking a pic of you. I've seen many people (and I've done it myself) offer to take a pic of the 2 of you together (obviously not YOU specifically, but you know what I mean, ;) )

I've handed my DSLR (which with lens and flash is a few thousand dollars) to people and asked them to take my picture. I taken pictures for people who don't speak the same language and they were very appreciative. I've never really worried about it. If you are worried about it while you are in WDW just a cast member. We've had many CM's see me taking a picture of my wife and kids and ask if I wanted to be in the picture. If you ask someone with a family (spouse , a couple of kids ) it is highly unlikely they will run off with your camera and leave their family there. Play it safe, ask someone pushing a baby carriage.

Rather than theft I believe dropping the camera is more likely. Get a photo pass and have the pro take your picture then ask them to take one with your camera as well. The pass does not cost anything until you buy the pictures online.

I reccomend personal article insurance. It covers theft/loss and accidental damage, like dropping...

Mikeee

I agree with the photopass recommendation.

I'd also be perfectly comfortable asking any cast member.

In the more popular photo areas, I usually OFFER to take a photo of the other people there and then have them take ours in return.

Just give it to someone that looks slower than you.

I carry a large, expensive DSLR with me when I travel. I frequently get asked to take other people's pictures. The problem is, I haven't a clue how to work their camera. I usually forget that it will take a long time between when I press the button and when the picture goes off. And the worst is that I'm not even a good photographer. I just love it as a hobby and buy expensive gear in an attempt to compensate for my lack of creative vision. The lesson is that just because someone has serious photographer gear with them, don't be so sure that they'll take a decent photo with your camera. Of course, others may already realize this and they just picked me because I'm certainly not going to be fast trying to run off while lugging a monsterous camera.

I offer all the time when we are in the parks if I see a family that is trying to get a shot and you can tell that there will be one person left out.

I have not ever had anyone turn me down.... I guess I look trustworthy enough, and although not a DSLR - my S2 is ALWAYS around my neck! In most cases it has not been someone with a intimidating camera though!

That's me - makinorlando - the friendly local picture taker.

As others have said - the Photopass is another great option...

i generally offer quite often. also, since i have what looks like a decent camera, people constantly ask me to take their picture. generally, they ask for photos with their camera, but sometimes with mine - 'can we give you our email address...?'

I have taken quite a few pictures of other people and never had any problem with it. I personally don't like the Photopass option very well. Sometimes, you get really good pictures, but, I have seen several of those "professionals" who can't do as good a job as this "amateur". We have learned to always take pictures at the Photopass spots so we can choose between the better photos.

I can relate to having 1 person left out of a picture (because it's usually me!), so I often offer to take pictures of other people with their cameras (especially if I see them taking turns). I don't believe I have ever been turned down. It never occured to me that someone would be worried that I would run off with it. I wonder if any of them were ever concerned? It's sad to think there are really people out there that would have less than honorable intentions... hopefully it's a very small percentage. Ironically, I never think to ask others to take pictures of us (yet I always appreciate it when someone offers). Only one person (a cast member) offered to take one of the kids and I last month at WDW (so of 1300+ pictures, only 1 family shot!). I think it is good you are thinking ahead, and hoping to get shots of both of you together... I regret not asking people to take some of us. Go with your gut feel... I'm sure the odds are in your favor that all will be fine.

Have a great time! :wave:

handicap18 said:
Not an option all the time, but look at what kind of camera someone may have. Many dSLR users will wear their camera around their neck. Just an option. Also you may find that someone will offer to take the pic for you. Especially if they see you take a pic of your BF and then him taking a pic of you. I've seen many people (and I've done it myself) offer to take a pic of the 2 of you together (obviously not YOU specifically, but you know what I mean, ;) )

Good idea! You figure, people will be more apt to know how to operate and handle your camera well.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup2

ndelaware said:
I've handed my DSLR (which with lens and flash is a few thousand dollars) to people and asked them to take my picture. I taken pictures for people who don't speak the same language and they were very appreciative. I've never really worried about it. If you are worried about it while you are in WDW just a cast member. We've had many CM's see me taking a picture of my wife and kids and ask if I wanted to be in the picture. If you ask someone with a family (spouse , a couple of kids ) it is highly unlikely they will run off with your camera and leave their family there. Play it safe, ask someone pushing a baby carriage.

Geez, I'm worried about a measly $300 camera, and you trust people with a camera worth a few thousand dollars?

You're right though....I'll either ask a cast member (don't know why I never thought of that before) or someone with a family. I highly doubt they'll have their entire family running away along with them. It would probably be pretty difficult to run away with a camera while pushing a baby carriage! :rotfl:

JR6ooo4 said:
Rather than theft I believe dropping the camera is more likely. Get a photo pass and have the pro take your picture then ask them to take one with your camera as well. The pass does not cost anything until you buy the pictures online.

Oh no :eek:, now I'm going to be worried about someone dropping the camera too! On our last trip, we always asked the photo pass people to take our picture, but they aren't stationed in a lot of places around the parks (mostly around the entrances).

Asking a CM is a good idea though...I'll have to do that!

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions!

When we were in Disney this past February, we had a TON of pictures taken by the photo pass photographers. When we came home and loaded our images onto the computer, we only had a few that were worth purchasing and after looking them over, we only decided on one. I can't believe the price they charge you for one 5x7 picture, but then again, it is Disney.

Its a shame that the thought of someone running off with my camera crossed my mind...but you never know these days. I'll have to keep these tips and pointers in my head for our upcoming trip in December. I'll remember to ask the families who will wind up tripping over their strollers before they can even make it 5 feet.

hey carol -when we took a family picture in the teacups - you got left out!
if necessary, your tripod loves you when no one else does :)

Ben is exactly right - often the 'pros' there are not very good at taking the shots - with their camera or your own. suze and i have had some taken and they're crooked, or they have way too much vacuum space all around us. ok, one time i had a prime lens on and maybe they didn't know how work the foot-zoom, so i'll take the blame for that one. but the others were suprising.

I'd wish I had asked someone more often as troops complain that I'm not in many of the photos :)

well, if you have ever seen Samantha Brown on the travel channel when she goes to Epcot and asks the CM's in different countries to take pictures of her, they show the pictures at the end and they are all cropped funny. At the ski resort I work at, I offer all the time to get full family photos. Boy are they surprised with how good nthey come out and then they find out that I am a photographer by trade. LOL!!

This next trip, my goal is to take as many photopass photos as possible so we can have as many pictures of all four of us as we can. I plan on buying the disk so I will have them to play with.

the odds of someone running off with your camera at WDW are very slim, a quick call by a CM and the front gate would be locked down, or at least security would be waiting, checking anyone leaving... it would be foolish to pay the admission price and then run out of the park..??/

now on the streets of a big city...that's another story...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter